[comp.sys.m68k] 68020-to-68010-socket upgrade

conklin@msudoc.ee.mich-state.edu (Terry Conklin) (07/30/87)

I posted this to the net some time ago but never saw a response, and am
not certain it ever got out.

Is anyone aware of an upgrade 68020 chip that comes in a custom socket
so it can be plugged in to a 68010 system? All over the docs it says
that the 68020 is a "proper superset" of the 68010, which in my
dictionary should mean it's software transparent/compatible. Also, it
refers to the dynamic bus sizing capabilities of the 68020. It would
SEEM that by tying the proper ~DSACKx line you could teach the 68020  to
be a 16bit cpu for the purposes of replacing a 68010.

I'm really looking for an already existent upgrade along this line, but
if it's not possible (hah) (let's try "feasible") I'd be interested to
know why.

Terry Conklin
ihnp4!msudoc!conklin
conklin@cps.msu.edu
(517) 372-3131  3/12/24

ford@crash.CTS.COM (Michael Ditto) (08/07/87)

In article <17@nancy.UUCP> conklin@msudoc.UUCP writes:
>Is anyone aware of an upgrade 68020 chip that comes in a custom socket
>so it can be plugged in to a 68010 system? All over the docs it says
>that the 68020 is a "proper superset" of the 68010, which in my
>dictionary should mean it's software transparent/compatible. Also, it
>refers to the dynamic bus sizing capabilities of the 68020. It would
>SEEM that by tying the proper ~DSACKx line you could teach the 68020  to
>be a 16bit cpu for the purposes of replacing a 68010.

Computer System Associates, Inc. makes a piggyback board that plugs into a
68000 or 68010 socket and holds a 68020 and, optionally, a 68881 floating
point coprocessor.  They even make them in a variety of shapes and sizes to
fit in whatever space you have around your CPU slot.  Note that the operating
system may require some slight changes to deal with the '020.  Also, the
'020's instruction cache is not active on reset; it is a good idea to turn it
on.

Their smallest boards are just the two PGA sockets and three PALs, plus
the 64-pin plug sticking out the other side of the PC board.  I beleive they
sell the boards with or without one or both 68XXX chips installed.  They can
be contacted at:

	CSA  (Computer System Associates, Inc.)
	7564 Trade St., San Diego, CA  92121

	Contact Patricia Chouinard
	(619) 566-3911

I have not extensively used any of their products, but I have seen them
demonstrated.  They also make a very nice (and expensive) 32-bit expansion
chassis for the Amiga with the 68020, 68881, and 32-bit static ram.
It cooks.

--

Michael "Ford" Ditto				-=] Ford [=-
P.O. Box 1721					ford@crash.CTS.COM