[comp.sys.m68k] Class action lawsuit against Louis Dorren

wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (//ichael R. //ayne) (08/12/87)

NOTICE: I have NO knowledge of this lawsuit.  I am posting it to the net
	because the originators do not have net access.  Please do not
	contact me for more information, use the address or phone number
	provided at the bottom of the posting!			[ /\/\ \/\/ ]

We are seeking people who have purchased computer equipment including,
but not limited to:

  - Altos, IQP, or ACS 68000 or 68020 systems
  - upgrades and enhancements for the above
  - operating system and application software for the above

from Mr. Louis Dorren, either personally or operating under names
including, but not limited to IQ Peripherials Corporation and
AmeriComp Systems, of Mountain View, California.

We are soliciting parties for participation in a class action
lawsuit, and other parties who may have knowledge of:

  - misrepresentation of Altos dealership status
  - misrepresentation of goods sold, including but not limited to:
	- manufacturer and model
	- specifications and performance characteristics
        - misrepresentation of used equipment as new
  - delivery of substitute goods without prior approval
  - non-delivery of purchased goods
  - non-return of goods received for consignment sale and not sold
  - inability to deliver working products
  - non-performace of warranty obligations over an extended period

Interested parties should contact:

	Paul VanAssche
	Attorney at Law
        One Kennedy Square, Suite 1805
	Detroit, Michigan   48226
	(313) 961-1509
--
Michael R. Wayne   ***   TMC & Associates   ***  Arpa: wayne@ford-vax.arpa
uucp: {philabs | pyramid} !fmsrl7!wayne   OR   wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (08/14/87)

In article <1134@fmsrl7.UUCP> wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (/\/\ichael R. \/\/ayne) writes:
>NOTICE: I have NO knowledge of this lawsuit.  I am posting it to the net
>	because the originators do not have net access.
>

>We are seeking people who have purchased computer equipment including,
>but not limited to:
>
>  - Altos, IQP, or ACS 68000 or 68020 systems
>  - upgrades and enhancements for the above
>  - operating system and application software for the above
>
>from Mr. Louis Dorren, either personally or operating under names
>including, but not limited to IQ Peripherials Corporation and
>AmeriComp Systems, of Mountain View, California.

	I, too, am an in-between, posting this for a friend with no access
to the net.  I also know Louis Dorren, and the allegations in the previous
posting is pure crap.

The following is from Mike Meyers, owner of m-net in Ann Arbor.
--------------

From: itivax!m-net!mike (Mike Myers)

The following is in response to the recent posting about
Lou Dorren and IQ Peripherals...

I am running several public access computer conferencing systems in
Ann Arbor, MI (313/994-6333) and in Miami Beach, FL. (305/534-3474).
The first stystem, m-net, was started in June of 1983.  m-net runs the
PicoSpan conferencing software on an Altos 68000, upgraded by IQP into
a 68020 system with 4 megs RAM and 160 megs disk.  Of all the computer
places I've dealt with in the past, nobody has done more to help me
than Lou Dorren and IQ Peripherals.  He's diagnosed things that went
wrong (software, or hardware, whether they were problems caused by us,
Lou, or the original Altos), and when necessary sent out loaner
equipment at no charge to keep us running.  If it wasn't for Lou, my
systems would still be where they were two years ago in terms of speed
and performance.

Keeping a unix system running in a time sharing environment isn't like
keeping an IBM or a Mac running on your desk.  There's a lot more
involved, and I've learned that there are a lot more people who think
they know what's involved, then there are people who really do know.
For some specific details regarding Lou and Metroplex:

  a) I sold Metroplex an Altos 68000.
  b) Metroplex wanted to expand the system, and bought from IQP:
       an IQP 68020 upgrade kit
       an IQP 4-meg ram upgrade kit
       two 80 meg Quantum disks
       an Altos mag tape backup unit
  c) There was a memory problem on the IQP 4-meg ram upgrade kit.  IQP
     sent out replacement memory chips and then a loaner Altos with one
     meg RAM.  Metroplex sent back the 4-meg machine for repairs, and ran
     on the loaner, (which then crashed from lack of swap space).
     Marcus Watts (m-net's UNIX guru, and the author of PicoSpan)
     made a new kernel to fix the crashing from lack of swap by using
     a much larger swap area.
  d) The 80 meg drives had problems.  IQP sent out replacements.
  e) The tape drive went bad.  IQP sent out a replacement.

The current state of affairs is that IQP has sent out practically a
complete second system (Altos computer included), hasn't yet received
back the "bad" components to check out what happened or if they're
indeed bad.  (The "bad" CPU board and 4 meg RAM tested out perfectly
after it was returned.)  The metroplex Altos still crashes from occasional
memory errors (parity errors) which is something that I cured on the
(identical) m-net setup by installing an Isobar line conditioner.

What do I think of all this?  Well, in 1983 I purchased my first Altos 68000.
The system had a problem in November.  Neither the distributor nor Altos
would give ME a loaner system.  We finally borrowed a CoData from Karl Zinn
at the University of Michigan.  The Altos made four round trips to and from
California before it was finally fixed properly (and what Altos Customer
Service finally did was keep "my" machine and send me their in-house testing
machine).  To me, IQP seems to be going overboard to help out their
customers.  All of my personal experience with IQP and Lou Dorren is that
there is nobody I know of (in practically any business) who does more.

--
that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess

Isaac_K_Rabinovitch@cup.portal.com (08/17/87)

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) says:
> (a lot of nasty things about the people suing a certain distributor,
> including 4-letter words and testimonials from satisfied customers

I don't know anything about the lawsuit in question but I do know this:

-- Dissatisfied customers have a right to legal redress and to find out
   if anyone else has had similar problems

-- *ANYBODY* can come up with testimonials.  Follow the Ted Bundy case?
   This is not to say that the distributor in question is actually guilty
   of any of the fraudulent and dishonest practices he's accused of, butg
   no matter how many satisfied customers he might have, does not rule out
   the possiblity that he cheated other customers.

-- Abusive and obscene language has no place in this conference.

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (08/18/87)

In article <618@cup.portal.com> Isaac_K_Rabinovitch@cup.portal.com writes:
>randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) says:
>> (a lot of nasty things about the people suing a certain distributor,
>> including 4-letter words and testimonials from satisfied customers

	No I didn't.  Another group posted all the garbage, and I just
	relayed a message from one of the accused parties.  I never said
	anything, and the letter I relayed had *no* obscenities.
	Get your facts straight, or *you* can get prepared for a lawsuit.

--
that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess