[comp.sys.m68k] Math, memory chips for 68030

chi@tybalt.caltech.edu (Curt Hagenlocher) (08/28/87)

I  understand that the 68030 has a  subset of the 68851  instructions on
the chip.  Will the 68030 work with  the 68851?  Or is the subset enough
to implement all the necessary paging functions?   If not, will Motorola
be releasing an (updated) version of the 68851 to work with 68030?

I read the other day (I can't remember offhand in which journal) an item
concerning math chips, and it appears that, although the  68881 has more
functions than the 80387, it's takes 125 - 150% as long to complete some
tasks.  Will Motorola be releasing a new math chip with the '030?

I would appreciate it it someone could send me the answers to my queries
as it could affect a personal project I'm working on.  Or maybe it would
be worthwhile to post the replies: I'm sure that other people would like
to know the answers as much as I would.

Thank you.

Curt Hagenlocher
chi@tybalt.caltech.edu
chi@citromeo.caltech.bitnet
seismo!cit-vax!tybalt.caltech.edu!chi

alan@pdn.UUCP (Alan Lovejoy) (08/31/87)

In article <3792@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> chi@tybalt.caltech.edu (Curt Hagenlocher) writes:
>I  understand that the 68030 has a  subset of the 68851  instructions on
>the chip.  Will the 68030 work with  the 68851?  Or is the subset enough
>to implement all the necessary paging functions?   If not, will Motorola
>be releasing an (updated) version of the 68851 to work with 68030?

>tasks.  Will Motorola be releasing a new math chip with the '030?

The 68851 functionality that is missing from the 68030 mostly concerns
the debugging facilities (i.e., the breakpoint registers).  The memory
management code in an operating system should not be affected by this,
debuggers definitely will be.  I *believe* that the native MMU
functionality of the '030 can be disabled, allowing external devices to
take over this function, but you should probably verify that with
Motorola.

Motorola has announced the 68882 FPU, which has been designed to work
with either the '020 or the '030.  The 68882 will take more advantage
of the parallelism possible with a CPU/FPU system, and will also allow
multiple FPU's to work on the same problem in parallel.  In fact, that
is Motorola's 'graphics coprocessor' strategy:  a board with multiple
68882's working in parallel.

--alan@pdn