[comp.sys.m68k] Fast 68000s?

stevel@dartvax.UUCP (Steve Ligett) (10/27/87)

Why are there no 68000s faster than 12.5 MHz?
Is it a marketing decision, or an engineering
one?  Does the 68HC000 use the same CMOS tech-
nology as the 68020?

I'd love to have a 20MHz 68000.

--
     Steve Ligett  stevel@dartmouth.edu  or
(decvax harvard ihnp4 linus true)!dartvax!stevel

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (10/29/87)

in article <7487@dartvax.UUCP>, stevel@dartvax.UUCP (Steve Ligett) says:

> Why are there no 68000s faster than 12.5 MHz?

Thompson makes a 16MHz 68000.

> Is it a marketing decision, or an engineering one?  Does the 68HC000 use the
> same CMOS technology as the 68020?

Probably both.  The NMOS 68000 can't likely be pushed any faster.  The CMOS
68000 is newer, and hasn't likely been pushed that far.  But why would
Motorola let you settle for a 20MHz 68000 at $15.00, when they can sell you
a 20MHz 68020 for $300.00?

>      Steve Ligett  stevel@dartmouth.edu  or
> (decvax harvard ihnp4 linus true)!dartvax!stevel
--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy

normt@ihlpa.UUCP (10/30/87)

In article <7487@dartvax.UUCP>, stevel@dartvax.UUCP (Steve Ligett) writes:
> Why are there no 68000s faster than 12.5 MHz?
> Is it a marketing decision, or an engineering one?
> I'd love to have a 20MHz 68000.
>      Steve Ligett  stevel@dartmouth.edu  or

There are some available, we are using an at least 17Mhz part, which we
are getting from Signetics. They are not able to market a "68000" faster
than 12.5Mhz because of the licencing agrement with Motorola. They can
(and did) sell us some special chips (different number) which have all the
functions of the 68000 and operate at much higher rates.

I'm not sure how willing they are to do this in orders of 1's and 2's.

	Norm Tiedemann		Room IH 2G-331
	ihnp4!ihlpa!normt	AT&T Bell Labs
				Naperville, IL
					 60566

normt@ihlpa.ATT.COM (N. R Tiedemann) (10/30/87)

In article <6085@ihlpa.ATT.COM>, normt@ihlpa.ATT.COM (N. R Tiedemann) writes:

> There are some available, we are using an at least 17Mhz part, which we
> are getting from Signetics. They are not able to market a "68000" faster

	OOPS, We are getting them from Hitachi not Signetics. Silly ME.

motsea@amc.UUCP (Motorola Seattle ) (10/30/87)

In article <2649@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>in article <7487@dartvax.UUCP>, stevel@dartvax.UUCP (Steve Ligett) says:
>>
>> Why are there no 68000s faster than 12.5 MHz?
>
>Thompson makes a 16MHz 68000.

A close look at the specs is appropriate in this case. You be the judge...

>> Is it a marketing decision, or an engineering one?  Does the 68HC000 use the
>> same CMOS technology as the 68020?
>Probably both.  The NMOS 68000 can't likely be pushed any faster.  The

Motorola realizes the NMOS can't efficiently be pushed past 12.5 MHz, which is
why we don't offer such a device.  IF a sufficiently large market were to exist
[or perhaps develops]for a 16 MHz 68k, the device that would be offered would
be the CMOS version.  It is mostly marketing decision...

>Motorola let you settle for a 20MHz 68000 at $15.00, when they can sell you
>a 20MHz 68020 for $300.00?

20MHz 68k's aren't likely, regardless of the cost, which would be more than
$15, to be sure...

>>      Steve Ligett  stevel@dartmouth.edu  or
>> (decvax harvard ihnp4 linus true)!dartvax!stevel
>--
>Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
>   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy
>    "Computers are what happen when you give up sleeping" - Iggy the Cat

			...mark konopacky   fae   motorola   seattle
			email:  ...uw-beaver!tikal!motsea!mark

[I am fortunate to use Applied Micro's system for news...]
<< Standard Disclaimer >>

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (10/31/87)

In article <7487@dartvax.UUCP> stevel@dartvax.UUCP (Steve Ligett) writes:
>Why are there no 68000s faster than 12.5 MHz?
>Is it a marketing decision, or an engineering
>one?  Does the 68HC000 use the same CMOS tech-
>nology as the 68020?
>
>I'd love to have a 20MHz 68000.

     I disagree.  I'd rather see the 68000 completely phased out
in favour of lower cost versions of the 68010, 68020 and 68030.
These are better processors and in the case of the 68010, pin
compatible.  Even so, I'd like to see register relative addressing
extended in futher 68K family product to range the full 32 bit
address range (I've heard the reasons against it and my answer
is simply that it's *still* a good idea).

     Price aside, the 68000 is a pointless anachronism.
Get rid of it!  Then again, the real point is regarding the
68010 -- Motorola, Hitachi, whomever else, Get the Price Down!

Cheers! -- Jim O.

--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) (11/03/87)

In article <2118@lsuc.UUCP>, jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:
> In article <7487@dartvax.UUCP> stevel@dartvax.UUCP (Steve Ligett) writes:
> >I'd love to have a 20MHz 68000.
>      I disagree.  I'd rather see the 68000 completely phased out
> in favour of lower cost versions of the 68010, 68020 and 68030.
> These are better processors and in the case of the 68010, pin
> compatible.

Well, pin compatability is one thing, but some of us are using brain-damaged
software and OS's that get all f****d up when presented with 68010 exception
frames and so on (Atari shall not be mentioned to protect the guilty).

But I still would like my toy box to go faster.  What's a fellow to do?  Your
answer is: go whistle.  I would like a more positive response from a vendor,
perhaps a 24 MHz 68000 ;-)

Ross Alexander,
Athabasca University,
...!ihnp4!alberta!auvax!rwa

ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) (11/06/87)

In article <2118@lsuc.UUCP>, jimomura@lsuc.UUCP writes:
> In article <7487@dartvax.UUCP> stevel@dartvax.UUCP (Steve Ligett) writes:
> >Why are there no 68000s faster than 12.5 MHz?
> >
> >I'd love to have a 20MHz 68000.
> >

>      I disagree.  I'd rather see the 68000 completely phased out
> in favour of lower cost versions of the 68010, 68020 and 68030.
...(some text was here)...
>      Price aside, the 68000 is a pointless anachronism.
> Get rid of it!  Then again, the real point is regarding the
> 68010 -- Motorola, Hitachi, whomever else, Get the Price Down!
>
> Cheers! -- Jim O.
>
> ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura
> Byte Information eXchange: jimomura

I hope that you really don't mean to imply that the world should dump
the 68000 and go to its progeny of one flavor or another simply because
you think it is "anachronistic."  In fact, you seem to imply that the
manufacturers should dump the 68000 and in compensation simply make
the 68010, etc. cheaper.

The customers should drive whether a part or product is discontinued
by voting with their pocket book.  As long as the part is in demand it
should be made.  What would your arbitrary cutoff do to company XYZ that
embeds a 68K in its controller product, making hundreds or thousands a
month?  The product works fine - why fix what is not broken?  The 68K
works fine in its assigned embedded tasks and its software is bug free,
being made via masked CMOS ROM.  Going to a 68010 might just break
the ROM, simply because the start-up code and (possibly) stack code
needs to changed a bit. Remaking a masked ROM is big bucks, and it would
be for no other reason than the inability to obtain the 68K part.  Also,
the 68010 is not available in CMOS and this could be critical, too.

I have just tried to point out that one should be aware that the market
requirements, needs, and wants always go beyond the narrow views of
one person.  In fact, the overwhelming majority of 68K parts go into
embedded (read non-personal computer and non-minicomputer) applications.

I would love to see a version of the 68K with extended relative
addressing and other enhancements, including faster parts (Mostek has
a 16MHZ NMOS part).  Still, many need a pin-compatible, COMPLETELY
software compatible part, and preferably CMOS.  I suspect the real
solution for your area of interest is in the lowering of prices for the
the 680X0/6888X parts.  There will continue to be many areas of
industrial and scientific embedded applications for the 68K part for a
long time to come.  I have such applications, and many of them simply
do not require the 680X0 in any form.  I need CMOS, and a 10MHZ 68K
has all the speed and power I need.  Coversely, if I can avoid it,I
do not need the extra complication and cost of PGA packaging.

I suspect you really didn't mean to imply such a harsh fate in such
an arbitrary and short-sighted fashion for the 68K, but so often the
news reader is presented only such "off the cuff" views.  Hopefully
commercial hardware and software vendors do not take the net too
seriously, or at least with a few kilos of salt.

Regards,   Steven Ward
           Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (11/10/87)

In article <384@auvax.UUCP> rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) writes:
>In article <2118@lsuc.UUCP>, jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:
>>      I disagree.  I'd rather see the 68000 completely phased out
>> in favour of lower cost versions of the 68010, 68020 and 68030.
>> These are better processors and in the case of the 68010, pin
>> compatible.

>Well, pin compatability is one thing, but some of us are using brain-damaged
>software and OS's that get all f****d up when presented with 68010 exception
>frames and so on (Atari shall not be mentioned to protect the guilty).

     Yeah, but don't blame me for that.  I keep telling people
to use OS-9.  You know what?  Under OS-9 you can write "generic"
68K family software.  You can also write processor specific
software where it's clearly advantageous, but I run a number
of programs on my 68020 machine and 68000 machine interchange-
ably.

     Besides, for the most part, the software isn't usually that
hard to fix.  I few minutes with a text processor and a recompile
are often all that's needed.  And heck, you want to build up
*more* non-portable software and lock yourself into an outdated
processor even worse, or do you want to make start into a clean
future now?

Cheers! -- Jim O.

>But I still would like my toy box to go faster.  What's a fellow to do?  Your
>answer is: go whistle.  I would like a more positive response from a vendor,
>perhaps a 24 MHz 68000 ;-)

     You could do what I did.  Buy a better computer to hook up
to your "toy" computer.  I run a CoCo3, Atari ST and QT-20X.
That's 6809, 68000 and 68020.  All 3 run OS-9 in various forms
by the way and as noted, in the case of the ST and QT-20X I
can even write programs to run on both interchangeably.

--

In article <761@cfa.cfa.harvard.EDU> ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) writes:
>In article <2118@lsuc.UUCP>, jimomura@lsuc.UUCP writes:

>>      I disagree.  I'd rather see the 68000 completely phased out
>> in favour of lower cost versions of the 68010, 68020 and 68030.
>...(some text was here)...
>>      Price aside, the 68000 is a pointless anachronism.
>> Get rid of it!  Then again, the real point is regarding the
>> 68010 -- Motorola, Hitachi, whomever else, Get the Price Down!

>I hope that you really don't mean to imply that the world should dump
>the 68000 and go to its progeny of one flavor or another simply because
>you think it is "anachronistic."  In fact, you seem to imply that the
>manufacturers should dump the 68000 and in compensation simply make
>the 68010, etc. cheaper.

     Sure I mean it.
:-)

>The customers should drive whether a part or product is discontinued
>by voting with their pocket book.  As long as the part is in demand it

     If the parts were priced equally, then I think the customers
*would* vote with their pocket books, and the smarted companies
would go for the 68010 over the 68000 -- if the price was equal.
The main reason 68000 is used in *new* products is because it's
cheaper (and you're point about CMOS as well -- if there were a
CMOS 68010 at the same price as 68000 CMOS, again the 68010 would
outsell it).

>should be made.  What would your arbitrary cutoff do to company XYZ that
>embeds a 68K in its controller product, making hundreds or thousands a
>month?  The product works fine - why fix what is not broken?  The 68K
>works fine in its assigned embedded tasks and its software is bug free,
>being made via masked CMOS ROM.  Going to a 68010 might just break
>the ROM, simply because the start-up code and (possibly) stack code
>needs to changed a bit. Remaking a masked ROM is big bucks, and it would

     Uh.  Didn't you just say this company makes "hundreds or thousands"
of units per month?  If this is so, the cost of redoing the custom ROM
would be spread out over the same "hundreds or thousands".  It's
pretty cheap really.  Also, you have this strange believe that there's
a huge problem changing 68000 code to 68010 code.  There generally
isn't.  This is especially true if OS-9 was used to develop the code.
Not *just* OS-9, but at least OS-9 is a good example.

>be for no other reason than the inability to obtain the 68K part.  Also,
>the 68010 is not available in CMOS and this could be critical, too.

>I have just tried to point out that one should be aware that the market
>requirements, needs, and wants always go beyond the narrow views of
>one person.  In fact, the overwhelming majority of 68K parts go into
>embedded (read non-personal computer and non-minicomputer) applications.

>I would love to see a version of the 68K with extended relative
>addressing and other enhancements, including faster parts (Mostek has
>a 16MHZ NMOS part).  Still, many need a pin-compatible, COMPLETELY
>software compatible part, and preferably CMOS.  I suspect the real
>solution for your area of interest is in the lowering of prices for the
>the 680X0/6888X parts.  There will continue to be many areas of
>industrial and scientific embedded applications for the 68K part for a
>long time to come.  I have such applications, and many of them simply
>do not require the 680X0 in any form.  I need CMOS, and a 10MHZ 68K
>has all the speed and power I need.  Coversely, if I can avoid it,I
>do not need the extra complication and cost of PGA packaging.

>I suspect you really didn't mean to imply such a harsh fate in such
>an arbitrary and short-sighted fashion for the 68K, but so often the
>news reader is presented only such "off the cuff" views.  Hopefully
>commercial hardware and software vendors do not take the net too
>seriously, or at least with a few kilos of salt.

     Don't worry, Motorola's been on the Net long enough to
know better than to listen to just one person.  In fact, it's
been speculated exactly how many people it does take to move
the Big M (:-).  Well, I still prefer the products of the Big
M over the Big I's.

     But wouldn't you like to see 68010's drop to the price of
68000's, just for the chance to see what the market does, of
course.

(Sorry for the blank lines.  They seem to be necessary.)

Cheers! -- Jim O.

--

richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) (11/13/87)

>      You could do what I did.  Buy a better computer to hook up
> to your "toy" computer.  I run a CoCo3, Atari ST and QT-20X.
> That's 6809, 68000 and 68020.  All 3 run OS-9 in various forms
> by the way and as noted, in the case of the ST and QT-20X I
> can even write programs to run on both interchangeably.

Okay, it sounds like OS-9 has some nice features.  But isn't it
a VCIF (voice crying in the wilderness) compared to many of the
other current OSes when it comes to the number of people actually
using it, and therefore the support available?

Maybe I have the wrong impression...

Richard