[comp.sys.m68k] 68020 emulators

gag@manta.NOSC.MIL (Gary A. Gilbreath) (11/27/87)

We are looking for a 68020 emulator.  It must have the following capabilities:

	* Must run at 16.67 MHz or higher with 0 wait states (target memory)
	* 2k trace memory, preferably time-stamped to 1 usec resolution
	* Able to run with cache enabled or disabled
	* Trace before, about or after an event
	* Ability to trap reads or writes to a range of addresses
	* All the usual breakpoint or trace qualifications
	* Debugging tools must run on an IBM AT
	* Symbolic debug required, source level preferred.

We have an HP 64000 68000 emulator and are happy with it, but the debugging
tools don't run on a PC, so we don't want another HP emulator.  We are looking
at the Atron, Microtec and Applied Microsystems emulators.  Does anyone
have any experience with these?  Are there any others that I've missed?

Also, is there anything I should look out for?  I'm quite familiar with
the prefetch/unexecuted instruction problems on the 68000, but are there
any 68020 specific problems I should watch out for?

Thanks,

Gary Gilbreath, gag@nosc.mil

nerd@percival.UUCP (Michael Galassi) (11/29/87)

Contrary to my .signature, what folows are also the views of my employer.

In article <286@manta.NOSC.MIL> gag@manta.NOSC.MIL (Gary A. Gilbreath) writes:
>We are looking for a 68020 emulator.  It must have the following capabilities:

[deleted list]

>We have an HP 64000 68000 emulator and are happy with it, but the debugging
>tools don't run on a PC, so we don't want another HP emulator.  We are looking
>at the Atron, Microtec and Applied Microsystems emulators.  Does anyone
>have any experience with these?  Are there any others that I've missed?

I have an applied microsystems 68010 emulator (ES1800 w/ 68010 pod) at work
and am un-happy with it, even more so I am VERY displeased with the lack
of support offered by applied microsystems.  The turnaround on repairs
(frequently needed) is very slow, they do not have loaners, and the sales
people can be downright rude.

I talked to the people at Microcosm (sp?) of Beaverton, OR and they
brought one of their units to the office to demo it, I was very impressed
both with them and their unit.  I would rate it as a must see before
making a decision.

>Also, is there anything I should look out for?  I'm quite familiar with
>the prefetch/unexecuted instruction problems on the 68000, but are there
>any 68020 specific problems I should watch out for?

Can't help you here yet, we are still using the 68000 and 010s, next
year with any luck though...

If anyone wants more info or explanations on my views I can be reached
at (503) 620-2722 0900 to 1700 pacific time.

--
...!tektronix!reed!percival!nerd |  If my employer knew my opinions he would
...!uunet!littlei!percival!nerd  |  probably be looking for another engineer.

Michael Galassi, Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR