[comp.sys.m68k] Article in Computer Currents

aeusesef@csun.UUCP (News Manager) (12/16/87)

The following is reprinted without permission from the December 1987 issue
of ``Los Angeles Computer Currents,'' page 39:

``Apple is developing an upgraded Macintosh II based on Motorola's
top-of-the-line 80386 microprocessor.  When it will be revealed is still
unknown, but, in the meantime, several third-party developers will release
80386 upgrade boards for the II, Plus and SE.  T.S.I. of Eugene, Ore. plans
one by the second quarter of 1988.  The company's president says the
board will make the II 'four times faster.'' Also developing 80386 upgrades
are MacPeak of Austin, Texas, SuperMac Technologies and AST Research.
Unfortunately, the boards won't come cheap--$6000 is the quoted price.''
   -Wendy Woods, Newsbytes

This is a wonderful example of the truly miraculous American Press.
Personally, if I were Apple, Intel, or Motorola, I would be quite offended
by this.  Wouldn't you?  But it is one of the funniest things I've ever
read..

 -----

 Sean Eric Fagan          Office of Computing/Communications Resources
 (213) 852 5742           Suite 2600
 1GTLSEF@CALSTATE.BITNET  5670 Wilshire Boulevard
                          Los Angeles, CA 90036
{litvax, rdlvax, psivax, hplabs, ihnp4}!csun!aeusesef

daveb@llama.rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) (12/22/87)

In article <964@csun.UUCP> aeusesef@csun.UUCP (News Manager) writes:
>The following is reprinted without permission from the December 1987 issue
>of ``Los Angeles Computer Currents,'' page 39:
>
>``Apple is developing an upgraded Macintosh II based on Motorola's
>top-of-the-line 80386 microprocessor.  When it will be revealed is still
>unknown, but, in the meantime, several third-party developers will release
>80386 upgrade boards for the II, Plus and SE.  T.S.I. of Eugene, Ore. plans
>one by the second quarter of 1988.  The company's president says the
>board will make the II 'four times faster.'' Also developing 80386 upgrades
>are MacPeak of Austin, Texas, SuperMac Technologies and AST Research.
>Unfortunately, the boards won't come cheap--$6000 is the quoted price.''
>   -Wendy Woods, Newsbytes
>
>This is a wonderful example of the truly miraculous American Press.
>Personally, if I were Apple, Intel, or Motorola, I would be quite offended
>by this.  Wouldn't you?  But it is one of the funniest things I've ever
>read..

I just called Wendy, and she is appropriately chagrined.  "That was the
stupidest mistake I have ever made, and I'm really sorry it got into
print."

A correction was sent to the magazine immediately after the story was
filed, but their copy editor didn't get around to changing it before
publication.

She is concerned about accuracy.  Anyone wishing to prevent such errors
in the future by providing accurate information should call her at (415)
587-6389.

-dB
"I don't care what you say, as long as you spell my name right."
{amdahl, cbosgd, mtxinu, ptsfa, sun}!rtech!daveb daveb@rtech.uucp

alan@pdn.UUCP (Alan Lovejoy) (01/06/88)

In article <964@csun.UUCP> aeusesef@csun.UUCP (News Manager) writes:
>The following is reprinted without permission from the December 1987 issue
>of ``Los Angeles Computer Currents,'' page 39:
>
>``Apple is developing an upgraded Macintosh II based on Motorola's
>top-of-the-line 80386 microprocessor.  When it will be revealed is still
>   -Wendy Woods, Newsbytes
>
>This is a wonderful example of the truly miraculous American Press.
>...But it is one of the funniest things I've ever read..
>
> Sean Eric Fagan          Office of Computing/Communications Resources

I saw a similar article somewhere (I no longer remember where, but it
could not have been *LOS ANGELES* Computer Currents).  Having previously
seen almost identical information in other publications where the only
difference was the identification number of the MPU (68030 instead of
80386), the nature of the error was rather obvious.  You can't seriously
expect presscritters to keep computer part numbers straight, especially
when they share so many digits.   The "80386" is the *best known* MPU
in all history--even complete computer illiterates have heard of it
in surprising numbers.  If it were a name instead of a number, Intel
would be having Xerox's, Coke's and Kleenex's problem of people using their
product names as generic terms!!  Now that I think of it, maybe that
is a better explanation for the above quote than the "same digits in
different order" hypothesis.  Hmmm.....

--alan@pdn

cheeser@dasys1.UUCP (Les Kay) (01/11/88)

Not wishing to include batches of stuff:  On the subject of Mac II with
Motorola's new 80386...

My favorite was..."The Mac II uses the new 65020 chip and has the 65551(!)
included as a standard feature."

Jonathan Bing, Master (cheeser)			...ihnp4!hoptoad!dasys1!cheeser
"Pereant, iniquit, qui ante nos nostra dixerunt!"                          also
"Non illegitimus carborundum!"                  ....crash!pro-charlotte!cheeser

ilcu@icoven.olivetti.com (Daniela Papa) (01/19/88)

I am writing a VM that runs a copy of MS-DOS as a V86 task, my problem is
the drastic decrease in performances. A hexdump without VM runs in about
17 seconds but takes 40 with my VM. I do nothing special, just
reflects all interrupts to the original handler. How can I speed up
my VM; I was thinking to run it at cpl 3 but I loose the ability to catch
some I/O operations that I nead to process. What have I missed in the 386
manual?

angst%csilvax@hub.ucsb.edu (Stinkpuff) (01/21/88)

In article <13161@oliveb.olivetti.com> ilcu@icoven.UUCP (Daniela Papa) writes:

>I am writing a VM that runs a copy of MS-DOS as a V86 task, my problem is
>the drastic decrease in performances. A hexdump without VM runs in about
>17 seconds but takes 40 with my VM. I do nothing special, just
>reflects all interrupts to the original handler. How can I speed up
>my VM; I was thinking to run it at cpl 3 but I loose the ability to catch
>some I/O operations that I nead to process. What have I missed in the 386
>manual?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!  I've never laughed so hard before in my life! :-)

Dave Stein						    "Life's a clambake."
ARPA: angst%csilvax@hub.ucsb.edu	      Disclaimer: college students don't
UUCP: ...ucbvax!hub!csilvax!angst			  need no disclaimers!

ncperson@ndsuvax.UUCP (Missing Person) (01/22/88)

In article <13161@oliveb.olivetti.com> ilcu@icoven.UUCP (Daniela Papa) writes:
>I am writing a VM that runs a copy of MS-DOS as a V86 task, my problem is
 MS-DOS! Best joke I've seen all day! :-)