[comp.sys.m68k] Math Algorithms

rj@amiga.UUCP (Robert J. Mical) (02/20/88)

I'm looking for the algorithms that Motorola used for MULU, MULS, DIVU and
DIVS.  Is this stuff public information?  Can anyone give me reference?
-RJ Mical

schmidt@mpre.UUCP (Doug Schmidt) (02/24/88)

In article <1988@amiga.UUCP>, rj@amiga.UUCP (Robert J. Mical) writes:
> I'm looking for the algorithms that Motorola used for MULU, MULS, DIVU and
> DIVS.  Is this stuff public information?  Can anyone give me reference?
> -RJ Mical

Along that same line of questioning: ...

Can someone mail me a little chunk of 68000 assembly code that will divide
a 48-bit signed integer by a 32-bit signed integer?  I need it for some fast
math calculations in a C program I'm working on.  (My C compiler comes with
an assembler).  Any books that I have been able to find only give examples
of 32 by 32 bit division, but I haven't been able to successfully extend their
algorithms to 48 bits.

I know that this is pretty simple, but then again, so am I. :-)

The math that I need to do is fixed point math, but I am using an old 512K Mac
with the old 64K ROMS.  These ROMS don't have the fixed-point division routine
that the newer 128K and 256K ROMS do.  So if anyone can dis-assemble their new
ROMS, I could use that code directly.

		Thanx in advance,

			Doug Schmidt
			Microtel Pacific Research
			Burnaby, BC		CANADA

PS.	Remember when they called 512K Macs "Fat"?  Now they're "Anorexic". :-)

DISCLAIMER:  I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.