[comp.sys.m68k] 68030-based PC's

ralphw@IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre) (03/09/88)

In article <4744@ecsvax.UUCP> urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:
>In article <3434@cbmvax.UUCP>, daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>> in article <390@ontenv.UUCP>, norm@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) says:
>>
>> > The subject line says it all. But I'll repeat it. Is anyone aware of a
>> > 68030 based UNIX system which is available now or in the near future?
>>
>so close upon us, I can't resist ;-). I think it's time for us to
>start a thread on comp.sys.m68k and comp.sys.amiga on designing a
new Amiga [Ranger 3500, C3000] or some other catchy code name (C2001, C2010)?.
>Actually for a while there was a serious discussion in, of all places,
>The Computer Shopper, on a public domain design for an open MAC.
>This was at a time when Jobs at Apple was insisting on a closed box
>with 256-512K of memory. I think that this input did influence the
>design of the MAC. They chose a standardized pd buss, SCSI disk

OK, the Amiga 3000 should be a 16Mhz 68030/882 machine.  It'll be
interesting to see what the graphics hardware will look like in the
next generation of Amiga.

IBM PC-style slots would be a good choice, although a provison for
Microchannel or NuBUS boards would be a good idea, since they're the
up-and-coming busses.

There should be a provision for running Mac software and reading 800k
and 1.6M Mac disks [One can imagine Mac Toolbox compatible machines
(use the same [documented] dispatch table entry points & parameters,
although the code must be different) similar to PC BIOS clone machines].
If there's existing software out there that will work, then it establishes a
compatibility standard which software can be rated on:
('Foobaz' runs on Mac+, SE, Mac ][, and and the Amiga with the MacAmiga
software, but MacST, for example)

(A third party product is OK, but it's better if Commodore-Amiga views it
as a strategic product and supports it in some way.)

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

Chad_The-Walrus_Netzer@cup.portal.com (03/10/88)

In article <1069@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> (Ralph Hyre) writes:

>OK, the Amiga 3000 should be a 16Mhz 68030/882 machine.  It'll be
>interesting to see what the graphics hardware will look like in the
>next generation of Amiga.

Why just a 16 Mhz? Commodore should go right for the gusto and produce
the highest clockspeed Amiga possible (I have no idea what this would
be).  This would gain them some attention.

>IBM PC-style slots would be a good choice, although a provison for
>Microchannel or NuBUS boards would be a good idea, since they're the
>up-and-coming busses.

	NO! NO! NO!  NOT the NuBUS!!!!!  It is pure crap for a an
highspeed/highpower computer, or even a lower speed/lesser power one!
At least, Apple's implementation of it is...  A good BUS is ESSENTIAL to
the throughput of a machine, and the NuBUS is a MEGA blunder in this
respect...  It will only slow things down.  I recently heard an
interesting comment from an author (perhaps THE author) of JFORTH.  I
don't remember his name, but he said that as computers are getting more
advanced, we need to dump the idea of having this IBM type chassis,
where all the board are allinged like books on a book shelf.  He stated
that we should go for a more CRAY-like architecture, which will reduce
interference, and allow for more speed, power, etc.   It sounded like a
GREAT idea to me, but since it won't like as nice, I doubt it will
happen for a while...  Sorry, if I slightly misquoted the guy, but I
think I've expressed the gist of what he said.  If not, it's my fault...

	Anyway, that's how I see it...

  					Chad 'The_Walrus' Netzer

ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) (03/11/88)

[byte this!]

I heard a rumor to the effect that there exists a Public Domain M680x0
assembler and/or C Compiler available in source form.  Please send me
any pointers on where/how to get such goodies!  The name Fred Fish was
rumored as at least one author -- Fred, help, please!

Such info will probably be of wide interest, so post info in this
newsgroup, please.

Thanks.    Steven Ward

fnf@fishpond.UUCP (Fred Fish) (03/11/88)

In article <912@cfa.cfa.harvard.EDU> ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) writes:
>I heard a rumor to the effect that there exists a Public Domain M680x0
>assembler and/or C Compiler available in source form.  Please send me
>any pointers on where/how to get such goodies!  The name Fred Fish was
>rumored as at least one author -- Fred, help, please!

I am not the author of the PD C compiler and assembler, but it is available
on disk #110 of my Amiga library.  You should be able to find at least one
computer store in every major city that carries at least some of my disks.
Try your local Amiga vendors and user groups, though you can get the disks
directly from me if necessary.

-Fred  ><>

--
# Fred Fish    hao!noao!mcdsun!fishpond!fnf     (602) 921-1113
# Ye Olde Fishpond, 1346 West 10th Place, Tempe, AZ 85281  USA