[comp.sys.m68k] CMOS m68k

dkc@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Derek Cowburn) (05/06/88)

I am interested in any information anybody may have concerning a low-power
family of the 680xx.  I would rather not have to go with a CMOS 8086 ;-)

That last statement should stir up some info   :-)

Thank you for any replies.

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (05/06/88)

       Signetics has such a beast, the Signetics SCC68070WP, which is a
CMOS chip software-compatible with the M68010.  It is actually a
microcontroller, with a UART, clock generator, timers, I2L peripheral
interface, and an MMU on-chip.  For further info, contact
Carol Jacobson at Signetics, 408-991-3682.

       This part is being sampled and is not yet in full production.
But samples are available and it is a real part.  My hardware consultant
has one, but hasn't done anything with it yet.  We'd like to hear from
anybody who gets one running.

					John Nagle

michael@mcdchg.UUCP (Michael Bodine) (05/11/88)

> I am interested in any information anybody may have concerning a low-power
> family of the 680xx.  I would rather not have to go with a CMOS 8086 ;-)
Motorola Semiconductor has been selling the MC68HC000 for over a year now,
maybe two.  Data sheets should be available for the asking from any
Motorola Sales Office.  It is plug compatible, instruction compatible with
the standard 68000.  Power dissipation is under 0.2 watts.  It has been
available at 8, 10 and 12.5 Mhz speeds since its introduction, and it
seems i've heard about it being out at 16Mhz as well, but you'd need to
check that with your Motorola Semi sales person.  There is a university
support program in Phoenix where educational folks can get substantial
discounts on Motorola stuff...again, ask for the info when you call the
Semiconductor office.
--
[ Michael Bodine, michael@mcdchg.UUCP Opinions expressed are mine and haven't  ]
[ been seen, commented on or in any way approved or even allowed by Motorola   ]

dam@mtgzz.UUCP (XMRN40000[kvm]-d.a.morano) (05/12/88)

In article <7781@mcdchg.UUCP>, michael@mcdchg.UUCP (Michael Bodine) writes:
> > I am interested in any information anybody may have concerning a low-power
> > family of the 680xx.  I would rather not have to go with a CMOS 8086 ;-)
> Motorola Semiconductor has been selling the MC68HC000 for over a year now,
> maybe two.  Data sheets should be available for the asking from any

SGS-Thomson has been selling a 16 MHz CMOS version of the 68000 fro
some time now also.  As mentioned, I think that Motorola is also going
to have a 16 MHz version available but I do not know the introduction
schedule.

rmb384@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert M. Bownes III) (05/15/88)

	I saw an ad in last week's EDN advertising (I believe) Harris's
Cmos version, and got some literature from Hitachi this week on their
cmos 68K. You might want to get in touch with either of them directly.

bob

--
Bob Bownes, Aka Keptin Comrade Dr Bobwrench III	|  If I didn't say it, It
bownesrm@beowulf.uucp  (518)-482-8798		|  must be true.

ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) (05/17/88)

In article <4092@mtgzz.UUCP>, dam@mtgzz.UUCP (XMRN40000[kvm]-d.a.morano) writes:
> In article <7781@mcdchg.UUCP>, michael@mcdchg.UUCP (Michael Bodine) writes:
> > > I am interested in any information anybody may have concerning a low-power
> > > family of the 680xx.  I would rather not have to go with a CMOS 8086 ;-)
> > Motorola Semiconductor has been selling the MC68HC000 for over a year now,
> > maybe two.  Data sheets should be available for the asking from any
>
> SGS-Thomson has been selling a 16 MHz CMOS version of the 68000 fro
> some time now also.  As mentioned, I think that Motorola is also going
> to have a 16 MHz version available but I do not know the introduction
> schedule.

I have a Thomson data sheet for the 16MHZ part which describes it as a
specially processed NMOS part, NOT CMOS.  Of course, Thomson might also
have a CMOS part, but I do not think so.

Hitachi and Motorola make CMOS 68000 parts.  Both are available at
12.5MHZ.  I have recently seen Moto announce a 16MHZ version of this
MPU.  I don't know if Hitachi will have it, too.  I would guess that the
clock speed will increase to the 25MHZ speed range, eventually.