[comp.sys.m68k] Qic2 tape portablity

minix@ucrmath.UCR.EDU (Freeman P. Pascal IV) (05/30/89)

Hello,

I have a Integraged Solutions Optimum V (V24s) and I'm trying to get the
Suns at our local UC campus read/writeing my tapes.  I have the standard North-
ern Telecom tape drive that comes with the system, it is a 9 track, QicII
compatible 1/4" drive.  I'm not sure what our Suns are using, but I do know
they are also QicII compatible.

Does anyone out there know how to get both of these machines reading and
writing the same tape format?

I'm hoping to use the tapes for mailing data to and from the Phillipines (I'm
going to the Phillipines, so I'd like to keep up to date on MINIX and comp.-
sources).

Any help would be appreciated.

-Freeman P. Pascal IV

dina@isieng.UUCP (Dina Street) (05/31/89)

In article <1077@ucrmath.UCR.EDU> minix@ucrmath.UCR.EDU (Freeman P. Pascal IV) writes:

>I have a Integraged Solutions Optimum V (V24s) and I'm trying to get the
>Suns at our local UC campus read/writeing my tapes.  I have the standard North-
>ern Telecom tape drive that comes with the system, it is a 9 track, QicII
>compatible 1/4" drive.  I'm not sure what our Suns are using, but I do know
>they are also QicII compatible.
>
>Does anyone out there know how to get both of these machines reading and
>writing the same tape format?

In order to use an ISI Optimum V system to read Sun tapes, you will
need the latest revision QicII/R board and 4.3/4.1 (or later) software.
In the /dev/tape directory are a number of files which can be used to
specifiy different tape read/write formats.  What is most commonly used
to read a Sun written tape is

/dev/tape/q11_chr_f512_0

although some experimentation might be called for.

Dina Street