[comp.sys.m68k] Motorola Delta 3640 Tar Problem

abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl) (06/19/89)

Hi.  On my new 3640 box at work, tar(1) seems to run incredibly slowly.
It seems to spend an awful lot of time seeking the tape.  Am I doing something
wrong?

Configuration:

Motorla 3640 12 slot VME Box
MVME141 CPU board
MVME2x4 MEM Board
MVME332XT Intelligent SIO controller board (2)
MVME327 SCSI board
CDC WREN IV 300MB SCSI HD
Archive 2150S 150MB SCSI Tape drive
3M DC600A (12500 ftpi) tapes
Motorla System V/68 R3V5

The command I am using is:

	$ tar cvf /dev/TAPE.CART files

Thanks in advance

Scott

--
Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
UUCP:  ...!sm.unisys.com!csun!csuna.csun.edu!abcscnge

stefan@yendor.phx.mcd.mot.com (Stefan Loesch) (06/24/89)

In article <2046@csuna.csun.edu> abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott Neugroschl) writes:
>Hi.  On my new 3640 box at work, tar(1) seems to run incredibly slowly.
>	$ tar cvf /dev/TAPE.CART files
	TAPE.CART is linked to r40 (minor 0)
	use /dev/r41 (minor 4) instead.
Minor 0 tells the driver to do a retension on the tape. Add a 4 to the
minor number (like r41 minor = 4 = 0 + 4) and the tape will start right
away.
Stefan
	uunet!asuvax!mcdphx!yendor!stefan

heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) (06/24/89)

Scott Neugroschl (abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu) writes:
> Hi.  On my new 3640 box at work, tar(1) seems to run incredibly slowly.
> It seems to spend an awful lot of time seeking the tape.  Am I doing something
> wrong?
> The command I am using is:
>
> 	$ tar cvf /dev/TAPE.CART files

Perhaps if you instead used the command:
	$ tar cvbf 20 /dev/TAPE.CART files

That way, you specify a larger block size to tar.  The only way to get decent
performance with a cartridge tape drive is to keep it running with rather
large blocks.  Personally, I use something like:
	find files (sorta) -print | cpio -ocvB > /dev/TAPE.CART

The drive seems to keep going pretty well, with few start/stops.  Of course,
load on your systems, particularly disk activity, will reduce your ability
to keep your tape drive fed with data constantly.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.  I'll help you get in
touch with your local support.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@chg.mcd.mot.com	Moderator: comp.newprod
"Life is indeed an inexplicable sequence of imponderable surprises."