[comp.sys.m68k] Request for support chip suggestions.

rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard Champeaux) (10/10/89)

As part of my thesis, I'm designing a single board computer based on the
68000 or 68020, and will eventually port either OS-9 68k or PDOS to it.
It will eventually be used for a new class here at Clemson that will focus
on real-time systems.

I'm looking for some suggestions of support chips for it.  More specifically,
does anyone out there have a favorite floppy disk controller chip set, parallel
driver, or serial driver?  How about a battery-backed-up clock?

I have a list of ICs that Microware has drivers for, but it lists only the part
numbers.  It would be nice to have information about their functions and
ease of interface to a 680xx.  I have already gotten a suggestion to use
either the MC68681 or MC68901 for the serial driver.

Also, if there's anyone from Motorola listening, could you tell me the quickest
way to get some data books on the 68000 and 68020, and help me decide which of
the other data books or data sheets I might need for the other Motorola ICs
that I end up using.  The only data book I currently have is a third party
book describing the 68000 through 68020 and it's pretty skimpy.  (I had good
ones at work, but they're 1000 miles away now.)

Thanks for any help.
Rich Champeaux  (rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu)

vanderkw@handel.mpr.ca (Mike Vanderkwaak) (10/11/89)

In article <6712@hubcap.clemson.edu> rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard Champeaux) writes:
>numbers.  It would be nice to have information about their functions and
>ease of interface to a 680xx.  I have already gotten a suggestion to use
>either the MC68681 or MC68901 for the serial driver.
>
>Also, if there's anyone from Motorola listening, could you tell me the quickest
>way to get some data books on the 68000 and 68020, and help me decide which of
>the other data books or data sheets I might need for the other Motorola ICs
>that I end up using.  The only data book I currently have is a third party
>book describing the 68000 through 68020 and it's pretty skimpy.  (I had good
>ones at work, but they're 1000 miles away now.)
>
>Thanks for any help.
>Rich Champeaux  (rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu)

The book "The Motorola MC68020 and MC68030 Microprocessor", By Thomas L.
Harman has been a great help. It discusses coding procedures,
interfacing and design with the MC68020 and MC68030.

I purchased this book from Avocet systems phone no. 1-207-236-9055 or
1-800-448-8500.

The data book MC68020 User's Manual is available from your local
Motorola rep. Try calling 1-800-521-6274 for information.

Good luck and post any other good references.

     Mike VanderKwaak             | vanderkw@mprgate.mpr.ca
     On Contract to MPR           | uw-beaver!ubc-cs!mprgate!handel!vander
     Disclaimer: These views are my own and in no way reflect those of MPR