[comp.sys.m68k] Performance stats for MC68040?

aleneis@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tony Leneis) (11/10/89)

Can anyone clue me in to the differences between the MC68040 and the
MC68030?  Is there an on-chip math coprocessor on the 040?  What about cache
types and sizes, deeper or more parallel pipelining, new addressing modes,
new instructions, new registers, etc.?  Finally, what clock speeds will this
beast be available in?

Thanks,

Tony
INTERNET: aleneis@jarthur.claremont.edu
BITNET:   aleneis@hmcvax.bitnet
UUCP:     ...uunet!jarthur!aleneis

mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) (11/12/89)

>Can anyone clue me in to the differences between the MC68040 and the
>MC68030?  Is there an on-chip math coprocessor on the 040?  What about cache
>types and sizes, deeper or more parallel pipelining, new addressing modes,
>new instructions, new registers, etc.?  Finally, what clock speeds will this
>beast be available in?

Moto has not yet formally introduced the 040, and has not given any performance
data, other than to say it is more than 2x the 030 (and faster than the 486).

It has two 4K caches, an on-chip FPU, and more pipelining.  Many simple
instructions execute in 1 clock.  Clock speeds have not been disclosed.
There is only one new instruction, a memory-to-memory block move, that
is a supervisor mode instruction.  No new user-mode instructions, no new
addressing modes.

Michael Slater, Microprocessor Report  mslater@cup.portal.com
550 California Ave., Suite 320, Palo Alto, CA 94306  415/494-2677

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (11/13/89)

In article <23948@cup.portal.com> mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) writes:

-Moto has not yet formally introduced the 040, and has not given any performance
-data, other than to say it is more than 2x the 030 (and faster than the 486).

-It has two 4K caches, an on-chip FPU, and more pipelining...

Its going to be interesting to see if I can buy enough ram to hold the
trap exception frame.  :-)

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

tomj@oakhill.UUCP (Tom Johnson) (11/14/89)

In article <23948@cup.portal.com> mslater@cup.portal.com writes:
>>Can anyone clue me in to the differences between the MC68040 and the
>>MC68030?
>
>Moto has not yet formally introduced the 040, and has not given any performance
>data, other than to say it is more than 2x the 030 (and faster than the 486).
>
>There is only one new instruction, a memory-to-memory block move, that
>is a supervisor mode instruction.
      ^^^^^^^^^^

>Michael Slater, Microprocessor Report  mslater@cup.portal.com
>550 California Ave., Suite 320, Palo Alto, CA 94306  415/494-2677

Sorry Michael, but the information you have must be a little outdated...the
MOVE16 instruction is NOT a supervisor-only instruction, but rather, is
available regardless of the state of the S bit in the status register.  We
(Motorola) will be releasing more info on the 68040 soon.

Tom Johnson

Disclaimer:  These statements are my own, and don't necessarily reflect the
             position of my employer.

srg@quick.COM (Spencer Garrett) (11/14/89)

In article <1989Nov12.172830.10798@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:
-> In article <23948@cup.portal.com> mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) writes:
->
-> -Moto has not yet formally introduced the 040, and has not given any performance
-> -data, other than to say it is more than 2x the 030 (and faster than the 486).
->
-> -It has two 4K caches, an on-chip FPU, and more pipelining...
->
-> Its going to be interesting to see if I can buy enough ram to hold the
-> trap exception frame.  :-)

Actually, since the 040 uses instruction restart instead of instruction
continuation, the bus error frame is *smaller* than that of the 030.
(And a *lot* smaller than the 030/882 combination.)  The code to deal
with exceptions will probably be a bit trickier, though.