[comp.sys.m68k] 68k in an IBM AT

capitain.pad@nixpbe.UUCP (Capitain) (02/12/90)

Hi, I posted this in comp.sys.ibm.pc, but got no answer yet.
Maybe someone in this group can help me...

I want to run 680x0 software on my AT. Is there a board with a
680x0 processor for the AT (or is it possible to build such a
board), able to control the AT's hardware? Is it necessary to
stop the 80x86 processor or can both run at the same time?

Thanks in advance,	Pit

+-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
!  Pit Capitain, DX-PC  !  US:  ...uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!capitain.pad  !
!  Nixdorf Computer AG  !  not US:    ...{mcvax!}unido!nixpbe!capitain.pad  !
+-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------+

m043210@muvms3.bitnet (B MOORE) (02/13/90)

In article <1229@nixpbe.UUCP>, capitain.pad@nixpbe.UUCP (Capitain) writes:
> Hi, I posted this in comp.sys.ibm.pc, but got no answer yet.
> Maybe someone in this group can help me...
>
> I want to run 680x0 software on my AT. Is there a board with a
> 680x0 processor for the AT (or is it possible to build such a
> board), able to control the AT's hardware? Is it necessary to
> stop the 80x86 processor or can both run at the same time?
>
> Thanks in advance,	Pit
>
> +-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
> !  Pit Capitain, DX-PC  !  US:  ...uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!capitain.pad  !
> !  Nixdorf Computer AG  !  not US:    ...{mcvax!}unido!nixpbe!capitain.pad  !
> +-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------+

At one time, there were two different companies making a 68xxx processor
board that fit in an IBM and allowed swapping files, etc.  I don't recall
the companies' names, but I think they have both gone out of operation.
However, you might find a used one.  I suggest you direct this query to
the comp.os.os9 newsgroup.  Good luck.

B. Moore

mwjester@wsucsa.uucp (02/14/90)

In article <1229@nixpbe.UUCP>, capitain.pad@nixpbe.UUCP (Capitain) writes:
> I want to run 680x0 software on my AT. Is there a board with a
> 680x0 processor for the AT (or is it possible to build such a
> board), able to control the AT's hardware? Is it necessary to
> stop the 80x86 processor or can both run at the same time?

Byte ran an article about just such a board a couple of years back.  I can
dig through my collection this weekend and find the info if you're interested.

> Thanks in advance,    Pit

You're welcome.

Max J.

aburto@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Alfred A. Aburto) (02/14/90)

In article <13308@muvms3.bitnet> m043210@muvms3.bitnet (B MOORE) writes:
>In article <1229@nixpbe.UUCP>, capitain.pad@nixpbe.UUCP (Capitain) writes:
>
>At one time, there were two different companies making a 68xxx processor
>board that fit in an IBM and allowed swapping files, etc.  I don't recall
>the companies' names, but I think they have both gone out of operation.
>However, you might find a used one.  I suggest you direct this query to
>the comp.os.os9 newsgroup.  Good luck.
>
>B. Moore

There is an outfit called YARC Systems in Thousand Oaks Calif that sells
680X0 and AMD29000 boards for the AT --- YARC Systems is still in operation
but I don't have phone # or address here.  They sell a 40 (or 50) MHz
68030 c0-processor board for the PC-AT.  Also another outfit called
DEFINICON also makes (or made) 680X0 co-processor boards for the PC-AT. Sorry,
I don't have their phone # or address either.  Not alot of help I know but
at least we have two company names now.

Al Aburto

aburto@marlin.nosc.mil.UUCP

aburto@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Alfred A. Aburto) (02/15/90)

In article <1317@marlin.NOSC.MIL> aburto@marlin.nosc.mil.UUCP (Alfred A. Aburto) writes:
>In article <13308@muvms3.bitnet> m043210@muvms3.bitnet (B MOORE) writes:
>>In article <1229@nixpbe.UUCP>, capitain.pad@nixpbe.UUCP (Capitain) writes:

Ok, after a phone call to a co-worker, I have a phone number for
DEFINICON.  They apparently still make 680X0 co-processor boards for the
PC-AT's.  They are in Newberry Park Calif (Not so far away from YARC
Systems in Thousand Oaks).

DEFINICON
1100 Business Center Circle #5
Newberry Park, Calif, 91320

(805) 499-0652

Note:  This is old information!  I hope it is still accurate!

Al Aburto

aburto@marlin.NOSC.MIL

m043210@muvms3.bitnet (B MOORE) (02/16/90)

In article <1318@marlin.NOSC.MIL>, aburto@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Alfred A. Aburto) writes:
> In article <1317@marlin.NOSC.MIL> aburto@marlin.nosc.mil.UUCP (Alfred A. Aburto) writes:
>>In article <13308@muvms3.bitnet> m043210@muvms3.bitnet (B MOORE) writes:
>>>In article <1229@nixpbe.UUCP>, capitain.pad@nixpbe.UUCP (Capitain) writes:
>
> Ok, after a phone call to a co-worker, I have a phone number for
> DEFINICON.  They apparently still make 680X0 co-processor boards for the
> Note:  This is old information!  I hope it is still accurate!
(several lines deleted)

> Al Aburto
>
> aburto@marlin.NOSC.MIL
One of the companies I had in mind was called TLM Systems - It seems that
DEFINICON may have been the other I had in mind.  I'm pretty sure TLM is
out.  In any event, they both ran OS9/68K, that's why I suggested a query
to comp.os.os9.  Someone there might have a used one, or a better handle
on who, if any, is making such a product.  Some of the Microware marketing
types read that group, and since they sell OS9...

B. Moore
Marshall Univ.

I don't have time for opinions - give me cosmic revelations any day.

aburto@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Alfred A. Aburto) (02/16/90)

In article <1229@nixpbe.UUCP> capitain.pad@nixpbe.UUCP (Capitain) writes:

>I want to run 680x0 software on my AT. Is there a board with a
>680x0 processor for the AT (or is it possible to build such a
>board), able to control the AT's hardware? Is it necessary to
>stop the 80x86 processor or can both run at the same time?
>
>Thanks in advance,	Pit

I have information on YARC Systems -----

YARC Systems
5655 Lindero #721
Westlake Village, Calif.
91362

(818) 889-4388

The person in charge there is Trevor Marshall.
They make AMD29000 RISC products for the MAC and PC,  Transputer
for the PC and PS/2, and 68020/68030 co-processor boards for the
PC and PS/2.  They also operate the 1000 Oaks Technical Data Base
BBS --- number is (805) 492 5472.  YARC stands for 'Yet Another Ruddy
Co-processor'.

Haben Gluck

Al Aburto

aburto@marlin.NOSC.MIL

des@dtg.nsc.com (Desmond Young) (02/21/90)

In article <13308@muvms3.bitnet>, m043210@muvms3.bitnet (B MOORE) writes:
> In article <1229@nixpbe.UUCP>, capitain.pad@nixpbe.UUCP (Capitain) writes:
> > Hi, I posted this in comp.sys.ibm.pc, but got no answer yet.
> > Maybe someone in this group can help me...
> >
> > I want to run 680x0 software on my AT. Is there a board with a
> > 680x0 processor for the AT (or is it possible to build such a
> > board), able to control the AT's hardware? Is it necessary to
> > stop the 80x86 processor or can both run at the same time?

Yes, a co. called Sritek did one. It was good. I do not know whether the
company is still alive.
  No, both DOS and UNIX (SYS5) could run simultaneously. I believe itt
used the DOS memory as a big disk cache, so once you loaded a file it
was fast (successive ls etc).
  It was expensive.
Des.