[comp.sys.m68k] 68010 question

topgun@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Chandra Bajpai) (03/01/90)

Question for all Motorola Experts out there (I am new in this area
having come from the Intel 80x86 family).

The 68010 is a 68000 with Memory Management capabililities correct? Does
it require an external MMU chip?

Does the 68010 come in 16 MHz version?

What is the differences in price of the 68010 compared to the 68000-16
and the 68020-16.  Also can anybody give me an idea of the prices one
should expect to pay for each of these chips in moderate quantities?

Thanks for your help,

Chandra Bajpai
topgun@brandeis.cs.edu

In article <1990Feb28.190048.5952@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> topgun@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Chandra Bajpai) writes:

>The 68010 is a 68000 with Memory Management capabililities correct? Does
>it require an external MMU chip?

The 68010 is a 68000 with virtual memory and virtual machine support.  It
will work with an MMU, but it does require an external MMU of some sort.

>Does the 68010 come in 16 MHz version?

I've never heard of one.  Even the 16MHz 68000 was a fairly recent thing
from Motorola; they pretty much ran the 16 parts up to 12MHz, and started
the 32 bit parts at 12MHz. The 68010 was never an extremely popular part.
You find them in Sun-2s, AT&T UNIX PCs, and a few computerish lab pieces
from Tektronics.

>What is the differences in price of the 68010 compared to the 68000-16
>and the 68020-16.

One fair estimate is that the cost of the MMU, if you need a real one,
may be your driving factor.  A simple hand-rolled MMU might be cheap,
at least parts-wise.  A 68851 isn't a cheap chip.  With reasonable
volume, you might find a 68030 costs less than a 68020/68851 combination,
especially if you use the surface mount plastic 68030 like Apple does.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough