[comp.sys.m68k] Question on pre-production 68030's.

henry@ginger.sri.com (Henry A. Pasternack) (02/28/90)

   I just bought a 25MHz 68030, claimed to be new, with a
ten day money back return guarantee.  After getting home,
I noticed that the part number is XC68030RC25A, not "MC",
which, I would guess, makes it a pre-production chip.  The
lot number on the chip is 3B56P8815.

   I am tempted to return the part because it was represented
to me as a "68030", which I suppose it is, in some sense.  On
the other hand, I have no idea what kinds minor functional
problems this chip may have, if I am correct in interpreting
the "XC" designation as meaning pre-release.

   Can someone give me insight into the significance of the
"XC" designation?  What is the likelihood that this chip is
precisely functionally equivalent to an MC68030RC25A?  I'm
not too concerned because if this chip is flawed, I'll just

   Is there someone around the Bay Area who has a capability
to help me test this chip within the next week or so?

   Thanks.

-Henry

In article <9613@unix.SRI.COM> henry@ginger.sri.com (Henry A. Pasternack) writes:

>I noticed that the part number is XC68030RC25A, not "MC",
>which, I would guess, makes it a pre-production chip.

>   I am tempted to return the part because it was represented
>to me as a "68030", which I suppose it is, in some sense.  On
>the other hand, I have no idea what kinds minor functional
>problems this chip may have, if I am correct in interpreting
>the "XC" designation as meaning pre-release.

XC certainly indicates that the part's design may not have been
validated when the part was actually made, but it doesn't necessarily
say anything bad about it either.  I don't recall the official
Motorola line on what it means, but I've never found it a big
problem.  I have an unmarked, supposedly room temperature 25MHz
68030 around here somewhere that's never shown any bugs (and for
that matter, works just fine in a hot system, though I suppose the
room temperature rating is more an indication of where it may be
expected to be a fully speced 25MHz part).  Motorola should have a
bug sheet on that part if there are any bugs, which I would think
pretty unlikely given my experience with early 68030s.

We got XC68851s for years after Motorola started making the part
and never found a problem there either, at least with the 68030
compatible instructions.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

michael@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Michael Bodine) (03/03/90)

Dave Haynie (daveh@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com) writes:
> In article <9613@unix.SRI.COM> henry@ginger.sri.com (Henry A. Pasternack) writes:
> >I noticed that the part number is XC68030RC25A, not "MC",
> >which, I would guess, makes it a pre-production chip.
> XC certainly indicates that the part's design may not have been
> validated when the part was actually made, but it doesn't necessarily
> say anything bad about it either.  I don't recall the official
> Motorola line on what it means, but I've never found it a big
Well, i guess i can't really speak for Semiconductor any longer since i stopped
working for them a couple years back, but i'm sure i'll be corrected in a
hurry if i flop.  Dave is essentially correct.  Motorola SPS designates
silicon as XC parts until the part is fully qualified, ie. all the significant
timing specs, temp specs, etc. specs are all known and documented.  This
includes bug-free parts, and (in reverse chronological order) all the beta or
pre-release parts all the way back to alpha.  At some point, earlier parts are
usually designated with either SC numbers or no marking.  To discover whether
or not your part actually has an associated bug-list, contact your nearest
SPS sales office and give them the lot number off the chip.  The lot number
includes the data code (week and year) as well as the mask number.  The
mask number is the key used to decide whether your particular part has a
bug list or not.  Usually, XC parts are VERY close to being 100% functional
even if there IS an errata sheet.  Of course, if you happen to want to do the
one or two things that don't work quite right, you might as well have a part
with the wrong number of pins.

BTW, whomever you bought your XC part from should have received copies of the
errata, if there is one, and should have given you a copy at the time of the
sale!

--
[ Michael Bodine, michael@chg.mcd.mot.com, Dial: (708) 576-7840, FAX: x8875   ]
[ Motorola MCD; 1100 Woodfield; Suite 334;  Schaumburg, Il  60173             ]

artp@motbos.UUCP (Art Parmet) (03/05/90)

In article <32555@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com>, michael@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Michael Bodine) writes:
> Dave Haynie (daveh@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com) writes:
> > In article <9613@unix.SRI.COM> henry@ginger.sri.com (Henry A. Pasternack) writes:
> > >I noticed that the part number is XC68030RC25A, not "MC",
> > >which, I would guess, makes it a pre-production chip.
..
> ....  Motorola SPS designates
> silicon as XC parts until the part is fully qualified, ie. all the significant
> timing specs, temp specs, etc. specs are all known and documented.  ....

Mike's  assessment is correct.  Full qualification is sucessfull completion of
Motorola's extensive internal certification process which includes  the  items
Mike  indicated  as well as criteria such as life cycle testing, producability
under all extremes of processing parameters, etc.  prior to marking a part  as
"MC"  status.   In  many  instances  the  "XC"  version  that  enters the "MC"
certification process is the same mask set that eventually is used to  produce
full "MC" devices.

Each  "XC" version of a device that is produced has an errata sheet indicating
all known anomolies (if any).  This errata is available on  request  from  any
Motorola  Semiconductor  Field  Sales  Office.   The availability of XC status
devices (especially in volume) may vary from device to device  and  from  mask
set  to  mask set.  The decision on the appropriate use of "XC" devices should
be discussed at length with with your Motorola representative.
--
----
Art Parmet @ Motorola Semiconductor, Marlboro, Ma.