[comp.sys.m68k] RAM/SIMMS and the 68030

ARTABAR@MTUS5.BITNET (03/18/90)

How many bits wide are the address and data buses on the 68030 and on the
RAM/SIMMs used by it? I know its a 32-bit machine, but, I know that the
80386, although its a 32bit machine still uses good old-fashioned 8bit RAM.
Also...how many clock cycles does a read/write (to RAM) take?
Thanx much...
Andy

In article <90076.195541ARTABAR@MTUS5.BITNET> ARTABAR@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>How many bits wide are the address and data buses on the 68030 and on the
>RAM/SIMMs used by it? I know its a 32-bit machine, but, I know that the
>80386, although its a 32bit machine still uses good old-fashioned 8bit RAM.

Most modern microprocessors need individual byte addressing, regardless of the
bus width.  This goes along with the programming model that claims 1 address
location corresponds to 1 byte.  The actual memory you'll find connected to
a 68030 is going to depend on the memory subsystem more than anything.  I've
build 68030 memory systems generally with 256K x 4 or 1Meg x 4 DRAMs, though
anything in a "x 8" package, such as a SIMM, would work just as nicely.  There
isn't a great movement to building DRAMs in "x 8" or larger packages just yet,
since most machines are byte-addressed, those that aren't can still use byte
wide (or smaller) memories, more data pins make packages larger, and at least
until 4 meg density parts start costing less-per-bit than 1 meg density parts,
there's not much need for wider data buses -- you're not building cheap, low
memory machines with the expensive parts.

>Also...how many clock cycles does a read/write (to RAM) take?

The minimum 68030 memory cycle runs in two clocks.  There's also a burst
cache fetch cycle which will get four longwords in five clocks.  Most DRAM
systems don't run quite so fast, however.  The typical 25MHz 68030 PC machine
(Amiga, Apple, NeXT) is doing a basic read in about five clocks, sometimes
with one or two clock burst cycles as well, from 80-100ns DRAM.  Most of the
68030 Workstation machines (HP, Apollo, Sony) have external cache that goes
at full speed to external memory, and this external memory may be interleaved
to hide the RAS precharge time when possible.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough