[comp.sys.m68k] What to do with SASI?

pl@sparrow.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) (03/20/90)

	I got some second source VME cards, and one of them is
	SASI controller from Plessey. What I like to know is:

	What kind of disks I can connect to it?
	Where can I get such disks?

	Thanx
				Pertti Lehtinen
				pl@tut.fi

-

pl@tut.fi				! All opinions expressed above are
Pertti Lehtinen				! purely offending and in subject
Tampere University of Technology	! to change without any further
Software Systems Laboratory		! notice

hue@netcom.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) (03/21/90)

In article <11857@etana.tut.fi> pl@sparrow.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) writes:

>	I got some second source VME cards, and one of them is
>	SASI controller from Plessey. What I like to know is:
>
>	What kind of disks I can connect to it?

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can use SCSI disks on
a SASI bus as long as there is only one initiator on the whole bus (no
arbitration phase).

-Jonathan

greg@uop.EDU (Greg Onufer) (03/23/90)

hue@netcom.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) writes:
>Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can use SCSI disks on
>a SASI bus as long as there is only one initiator on the whole bus (no
>arbitration phase).

And, most importantly, there is no support for disconnect/reconnect.
This means while a device such as a tape drive is rewinding, the
bus is locked.  Sun 2 (multibus) SCSI basically is SASI and this
becomes a rather nasty problem.  But, yes, standard SCSI
peripherals work just fine.

Cheers!greg

doug@letni.UUCP (Doug Davis) (03/23/90)

In article <9662@netcom.UUCP> hue@netcom.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) writes:
>In article <11857@etana.tut.fi> pl@sparrow.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) writes:
>>	I got some second source VME cards, and one of them is
>>	SASI controller from Plessey. What I like to know is:
>>	What kind of disks I can connect to it?
>Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can use SCSI disks on
>a SASI bus as long as there is only one initiator on the whole bus (no
>arbitration phase).

A SASI bus is a SCSI bus driven by software.  It's all in the hands of the
implementer and how good their implmentation is.  Some are very
good and allow all normal SCSI commands as well as arbitration, disconnect,
reconnect, sync, parity.. In some others the only thing in common with SCSI
s they might have the same number of pins.

doug
__
Doug Davis/4409 Sarazen/Mesquite Texas, 75150/214-270-9226
{texsun|lawnet|texbell}!letni!doug or doug@letni.lonestar.org
"Well, that was a piece of cake, eh K-9?"
"Piece of cake, Master?  Radial slice of baked confection ...
coefficient of relevance to Key of Time: zero."