[comp.sys.m68k] Why no fcmp/fbcc on 68040?

den@hpfinote.HP.COM (Don Novy) (06/06/90)

  I have read some articles about the 68040 and am confused about one point.
Why have the fcmp and fbcc instructions been eliminated from the floating point
unit? I have found these instructions to be VERY helpful in speeding up some
double precision floating point intensive software. One program was sped up by
23% by using fcmp and fbcc instead of 68020 instructions (cmp.l).

  Any ideas?

  Don Novy
  Hewlett-Packard
  den@hpfitst2.hp.com

eric@oakhill.UUCP (Eric Quintana) (06/09/90)

In article <16340002@hpfinote.HP.COM> den@hpfinote.HP.COM (Don Novy) writes:

>  I have read some articles about the 68040 and am confused about one point.
>Why have the fcmp and fbcc instructions been eliminated from the floating point
>unit?
>
>  Don Novy

FCMP and FBcc have not been eliminated.  They are fully implemented.

Eric Quintana           ...!cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!eric

dfields@neutrino.urbana.mcd.mot.com (David Fields) (06/14/90)

In article <16340002@hpfinote.HP.COM>, den@hpfinote.HP.COM (Don Novy) writes:

|>  I have read some articles about the 68040 and am confused about one point.
|>Why have the fcmp and fbcc instructions been eliminated from the
floating point
|>unit? I have found these instructions to be VERY helpful in speeding up some
|>double precision floating point intensive software. One program was
sped up by
|>23% by using fcmp and fbcc instead of 68020 instructions (cmp.l).

I'm not sure which execution unit the fcmp and fbcc instructions are in
but according to the '040 manual I've got on my desk, the instructions
are still implemented in hardware.

Dave Fields // Motorola MCD // uiucuxc!udc!dfields //
dfields@urbana.mcd.mot.com