[comp.sys.m68k] A scary thought!

mk59200@korppi.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) (06/27/90)

[The fist try seemed to disappear in a black hole. Hope this comes throgh]
In article <26865F6C.8175@paris.ics.uci.edu> rbarris@ics.uci.edu (Robert Charles Barris) writes:
>That is correct, Motorola started it. The Hitachi part in question is the H8,
>an 8-bit microcontroller not used in any product sold in the US. Apparently
>it was too close a knockoff of the 6800 (not 68000) and that's what got
>Motorola bugged.

I'm currently working on a design based on a H8 family chip, the H8/532.
It certainly isn't a knockoff of the 6800, it's closer to the 68K but
it has 16-bit architechture.  It actually is a lot like PDP-11.
I think the patent disputes are about implementation details that aren't
directly visible to users, perhaps microcode.

--
	Markku Kolkka
	mk59200@tut.fi