[comp.sys.m68k] SCSI Disks on Delta 3000s

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (07/06/90)

    As we are rapidly running out of space on our measly 300M disk, I
would like to add one of the attractive (very large capacity) SCSI disks
that are available for outside vendors (i.e. not Motorola).  Has anyone
done this?  Is a new driver required?  My understanding is that is should
be fairly easy to do, but that the new disk can't be (easily) made to be
the system device (I don't care about that).

    Any comments from the (heretofore very helpful) Moto folk?

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.

heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) (07/19/90)

The most common experience that our customers seem to have when
they try to save a few bucks by integrating their own disk drive
is that they are surprised by how much work it *really* would have
saved if they had just bought a drive from us.  All the tools are
there to integrate foreign drives into the system.  But, if you
buy ONE disk drive from a manufacturer, how likely do you think
they will be to act quickly to fix an incompatability in their
firmware?  Don't "cut off your nose to spite your face".  Take
the easy way out.  You'll be glad you did.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@chg.mcd.mot.com	Moderator: comp.newprod
"Mandatory Drug Testing?  Just Say NO!!!"

rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) (07/19/90)

In <41276@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com> heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby)
writes:

>The most common experience that our customers seem to have when
>they try to save a few bucks by integrating their own disk drive
>is that they are surprised by how much work it *really* would have
>saved if they had just bought a drive from us.  All the tools are
>there to integrate foreign drives into the system.  But, if you
>buy ONE disk drive from a manufacturer, how likely do you think
>they will be to act quickly to fix an incompatability in their
>firmware?  Don't "cut off your nose to spite your face".  Take
>the easy way out.  You'll be glad you did.
>--
>Ron Heiby, heiby@chg.mcd.mot.com	Moderator: comp.newprod
>"Mandatory Drug Testing?  Just Say NO!!!"

Experience makes me want to let this one go flying by, but it sticks in
my throat too much.
[flame on]
If "all the tools are there to integrate foreign drives into the system",
then integrating foreign drive into the system shouldn't be a problem.
This "buy it from us at 2x, 3x, 10x .... the market price because it's
easier" attitude is too common with vendors (particularly the three letter
ones..ahem).  IMHO, if a customer wants to buy from the vendor (for what-
ever reason...easier, h/w maint,, less paperwork,....etc.) fine, but a
vendor should also provide whatever it takes to make their h/w work with
3rd party stuff in the market.  I can see them not making it terribly
easy, but they shouldn't make it hard either.  "The easy way out" may not
be an option for lots of folks!
[flame off]

             roger                    rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

stefan@yendor.UUCP (Stefan Loesch) (07/21/90)

In article <3098@lll-lcc.UUCP> rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) writes:

>In <41276@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com> heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby)
>writes:
>
>>The most common experience that our customers seem to have when
>>they try to save a few bucks by integrating their own disk drive
>>is that they are surprised by how much work it *really* would have
>>saved if they had just bought a drive from us.  All the tools are
>
>[flame on]
>If "all the tools are there to integrate foreign drives into the system",
>then integrating foreign drive into the system shouldn't be a problem.
>This "buy it from us at 2x, 3x, 10x .... the market price because it's
>easier" attitude is too common with vendors (particularly the three letter
>ones..ahem).  IMHO, if a customer wants to buy from the vendor (for what-
>ever reason...easier, h/w maint,, less paperwork,....etc.) fine, but a
>vendor should also provide whatever it takes to make their h/w work with
>3rd party stuff in the market.  I can see them not making it terribly
>easy, but they shouldn't make it hard either.  "The easy way out" may not
>be an option for lots of folks!
>[flame off]

This are just two sides of coin, each with it's own merrit.
Ron is talking from a commercial customers point of view (that's what he
deals with) whereas Roger takes the stance of some private person or
student at a college (yes, those also are customers, even if big companies
more often than not seem to forget that).

To get back to the technical side:
	It MAY be possible. Depends how close to the standard the drive is.
	I've seen drives that didn't even require a new dskdefs file,
	and I've seen some that required firmware changes.
	If firmware changes are necessary you're completely out of luck.
	My advice is, if you've a drive lying around anyway and some time,
	give it a try. If you have to buy a drive make sure  you can
	give it back if it doesn't work (more likely than not).

	Start out by hooking the drive up, and see if it responds to
	BUG commands. If it does, create a new dskdefs file
	(ddefs -n NEWNAME) to format the drive (dinit -f NEWNAME RAWDEVICE)
	and to create filesystems (sledit RAWDEVICE).
	A good practice after formating also is to try a complete read
	of your drive (dd if=RAWDEVICE of=/dev/null bs=64k). I often catch
	(and subsequently lockout with dinit -n NEWNAME RAWDEVICE)
	additional bad spots which the formatting didn't get.

	WARNING ! If you don't know EXACTELY what you're doing, leave your
	fingers off. You may crash your system (with all software gone!)
	Even if you know what you're doing, make a complete backup before
	you start, it's just to easy to destroy something.

Stefan
	stefan@phx.mcd.mot.com

michael@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) (07/23/90)

Roger Hanscom (rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP) writes:
> In <41276@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com> heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby)
> writes:
> >The most common experience that our customers seem to have when
> >they try to save a few bucks by integrating their own disk drive
> >is that they are surprised by how much work it *really* would have
> >saved if they had just bought a drive from us.  All the tools are
> >there to integrate foreign drives into the system.  But, if you
> >buy ONE disk drive from a manufacturer, how likely do you think
> >they will be to act quickly to fix an incompatability in their
> >firmware?  Don't "cut off your nose to spite your face".  Take
> >the easy way out.  You'll be glad you did.
> Experience makes me want to let this one go flying by, but it sticks in
> my throat too much.
> [flame on]
> This "buy it from us at 2x, 3x, 10x .... the market price because it's
> easier" attitude is too common with vendors (particularly the three letter
> ones..ahem).  IMHO, if a customer wants to buy from the vendor (for what-
> ever reason...easier, h/w maint,, less paperwork,....etc.) fine, but a
Thanks, Roger, for indicating flame, and i don't really want to get a flame
war going here.  Stefan has a perfectly good response already, but i felt
this needed a little more discussion.  We've had lots of experience in
helping our customers integrate other vendors drives into the Delta series
systems.  We've done it A LOT!  Almost without exception we've discovered
problems with the vendors' drives and, less often, problems with our firmware
or software operating with these new drives.  Ron's point, that low volume
customers tend to get less attention from the manufacturer, is the main
problem.  Our factory has generally had enough clout to get problems fixed
when they're doing the integration, but the drive manufacturer may take
several months, if ever, to get the fixes put into the drives they have on
the market.  And drives may be in distributor inventory, which means that
has to be used up before anything new can make it to the customer.  Lots of
problems.  When you buy from us, you've got our full backing on the drive
and its support, and that IS worth *something*.  If you can't afford to pay
whatever a system manufacturer has decided that's worth, then you MAY
discover you actually have to pay far more to overcome the problems that
crop up.  On the other hand, you MAY discover that the drive comes from the
drive vendor identical to what you get from the system vendor and it just
plugs right in.

To sum it up, we're willing to work with people who simply will not buy
drives from us, but bad experience has taught us that we can't recommend
strongly enough to buy your drives from the same vendor from whom you buy
your system.  (I've had experience with many vendors in past lives...the
story is pretty much the same, no matter which three intials you choose
to use!)

krukar@pprg.unm.edu (Richard Krukar [CHTM]) (07/27/90)

	If I worked for Motorola, I would also suggest that you just buy
the Moto drives.  Not because I want to make some sales, but because my advice
should be guaranteed correct.  But I do not work for Motorola, so I can freely
give advice of questionable reliability.

	I have bought third party drives and plopped them into my machine.
The easiest way to do this is look at the list of supported drives.  Then shop
around for the best price.  When you get the thing, just give it a SCSI id,
run iot;t from the monitor, then boot your box.  Once it is up, format it,
create the filesystem(s), edit /etc/fstab and you are in business.

	I have also wasted a lot of time with non-standard SCSI devices.
There are a lot of bad implementations out there and the vendors are less
than sympathetic.  Anyway, have fun.

	Richard Krukar (krukar@pprg.unm.edu)

stevea@mcdclv.UUCP (Steve Alexander) (07/31/90)

In article <28215@pprg.unm.edu> krukar@pprg.unm.edu (Richard Krukar [CHTM]) writes:

>	If I worked for Motorola, I would also suggest that you just buy
>the Moto drives.  Not because I want to make some sales, but because my advice
>should be guaranteed correct.  But I do not work for Motorola, so I can freely
>give advice of questionable reliability.
>
>	I have bought third party drives and plopped them into my machine.
>The easiest way to do this is look at the list of supported drives.  Then shop
>around for the best price.  [...]

Well I work for Motorola and issues of guaranteed correctness aside,
and I would still suggest that you avoid integrating your own SCSI
drives unless you are capable of doing your own support.  I have seen
cases where drives which are on the supported drive list, are
delivered with different firmware or diskware revisions than the ones
we sell.  These have resulted in disks which will format correctly,
but require about 20 minutes to boot (because they are furiously
accessing diskware), disks that simply will not format correctly (some
geomety parameters not writable) and in one case a disk that held the
SCSI bus busy for the entire format time (causing Unix to panic due to
excessive timeouts on the SCSI bus from other devices).

Of course the drive manufacturer's first response is that the Motorola
hardware doesn't work because their drive is known to work on an XYZ
system (which happens to not exercise the problem).  At this point you
find a SCSI bus analyser.  Fourty engineering man hours later you
isolate the problem, document it to the drive manufacturer's
satisfaction, and receive a promise that they will fix this in their
next firmware revision in six months or so.  Sound unrealistic ?  This
is exactly what happened to one of my customers; a division of one of
the big three auto manufacturers no less.

If you gotta do-it-yourself, at least try to get a promise that the
drive revision is the same as the supported model ... you're still on
your own though.
--
Steve Alexander            | a twelve ton cast iron soda cracker,
Motorola Cleveland         | the stress on an aluminum plastic injection mold,