[comp.sys.m68k] 68020 to 68010 chip adapter?

mka@sean.UUCP (mka) (08/09/90)

Ages ago I heard of an adapter that allows a 68020 chip to be
inserted into a 68010 socket. Reportedly, the 68020 would then
run without further fuss. Anyone know about this: where they
might be obtained and if they work?

Thanks in advance,
Mike Anderson
{uunet|uokmax}!sean!mka
(405) 943-3123 ofc
(405) 752-5293 home

greg@cheers.uucp (Greg Onufer) (08/09/90)

mka@sean.UUCP (mka) writes:
>Ages ago I heard of an adapter that allows a 68020 chip to be
>inserted into a 68010 socket. Reportedly, the 68020 would then
>run without further fuss. Anyone know about this: where they
>might be obtained and if they work?

Motorola has an Application Note containing the schematics for such an
adapter.  It is relatively simple and also allows use of a
floating-point chip.  The board uses the following:

	1 - MC68020
	1 - MC68881
	4 - PAL16R4A-15
	6 - 4.7K pullup resistors

The Application Note is AN944, "MC68020 and MC68881 Platform Board
for Evaluation in a 16-Bit System".

The drawback is that software which relies on the exception stack
frames must be modified.  I had looked into this a while ago as a
means of speeding up my Sun-2, but determined that since the boot
proms and SunOS would no longer run, it was of no use.  The advantages
are increases of performance up to 200% (in the App Note's
benchmarks).

Cheers!greg