[comp.sys.m68k] Need reference suggestions...

tyen@cs.utexas.edu (caffeine_fiend) (08/23/90)

This may be an arcane question, so I am just soliciting pointers to
reference sources that may help me in this situation.

I have a Motorola Unix box sitting in one office, with a couple of
modem ports hanging off of it.  There is a terminal far, far away with
a modem dangling from it.  Dial-up, play with Unix---no problem.
However, I am stumped as to how to connect a printer at the remote
terminal site, so that it appears as just another /dev, and behaves
accordingly.

In a related vein, I am wondering if it is possible to hook up two
geographically disparate systems together---kind of like an NFS mount
over the phone line.  I really doubt that this is possible, which is
why I am so cluelesps with respect to the first problem.  I am looking
for any solution that works, and if it requires additional hardware or
software, so be it.

I hope this makes sense; my only Unix experience has been on Suns thus
far, and this is completely new to me.

--
 ____       ...Kowabunga!...
  /ony Yen  Claimer:  Views expressed here == mine && only mine.  Sail tough.

rainer@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Rainer Malzbender) (08/24/90)

There's something called SLIP, which is (as far as I could gather
from other postings) a public domain TCP/IP implementation using
serial lines, including modems. I know people have hooked up Suns to
Amigas and PCs using this, but I don't know anything about it. Try
asking in comp.unix.

From my list of ftp sites here are some that may have SLIP:

	ai.toronto.edu                128.100.1.65
	bmc1.bmc.uu.se                130.238.96.1
	icarus.riacs.edu              134.12.1.1
	mimsy.umd.edu                 128.8.128.8
	riacs.edu                     128.102.64.1

Hope it helps.

--
Rainer M. Malzbender                          Technology recapitulates biology.
Dept. of Physics                (303)492-6829       rainer@hibachi.colorado.edu

jeffr@bcs800.UUCP (Jeff Riegel) (08/24/90)

In <883@levelland.cs.utexas.edu> tyen@cs.utexas.edu (caffeine_fiend) writes:

>I have a Motorola Unix box sitting in one office, with a couple of
>modem ports hanging off of it.  There is a terminal far, far away with
>a modem dangling from it.  Dial-up, play with Unix---no problem.
>However, I am stumped as to how to connect a printer at the remote
>terminal site, so that it appears as just another /dev, and behaves
>accordingly.

To create a remote printer do the following.

1. Create a printer using the same tty as the terminal...
	(eg.), lpadmin -v/dev/ttyxx -myyy -pzz
   where xx is the tty#, yyy is the model name, zz is the printer name

2. edit the interface file and add an echo statement before the print
   loop to set the escape codes to turn on the terminals transparent print
   mode on. (eg.) echo "\033\140\c" for a tvi905.

2. edit the interface file and add an echo statement after the print
   loop to set the escape codes to turn off the terminals transparent print
   mode. (eg.) echo "\033\141\c" for a tvi905.

NOTE: That will printing the remote terminal will be disabled.

EXAMPLE INTERFACE FILE:

stty -parenb 9600 ixon -ixany istrip

copies=$4
printer=`basename $0`