[comp.sys.m68k] Information about the 68454 and 68459

pa204537@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Ing. Enrique Sanchez Vela) (09/06/90)

  Hi all!
  I'm thinking about making a disk interface for a 68000 based card
 and I read about this couple in some book related to the 68k processor
 I would like to know about them from those who have worked with them
 previously, every comment like bugs, if there are anyother chip better
 than this couple or if you know about a disk controller that can work with
 a 68000 DMA compatible I'll happy to hear about it.

   Also I would like to hear about Operating Systems at least UNIX like to
  install in the system alredy mentined.

              Thanks in advance Enrique Sanchez V.

                                Pa204537 at MTECV2

rh2y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Russell E. Hoffman, II) (09/07/90)

> ...information on an operating system at least UNIX-like

Try OS9/68000. I think you'll find it to be very UNIX-like and in some
respects better. Check out comp.os.os9 on the net, or look into
"The Rainbow Guide to OS9" - available at Radio Shack.. This book is not
actually for OS9/68000, but describes in fair detail the basics of OS9-6809
which is the predecessor of OS9/68000. Alternatively, get in touch with
Microware (the creators of OS9/68000):

Microware Systems Corporation
1866 N.W. 114th Street
Des Moines Iowa 50322
(515) 224-1929

Hope that helps!

Russ

davis@ecn.purdue.edu (E. Robert Davis) (09/27/90)

In article <Iatlycy00WB5MEsFcv@andrew.cmu.edu> rh2y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Russell E. Hoffman, II) writes:
>> ...information on an operating system at least UNIX-like
>
>Try OS9/68000. I think you'll find it to be very UNIX-like and in some
>respects better. Check out comp.os.os9 on the net, or look into
>"The Rainbow Guide to OS9" - available at Radio Shack.. This book is not
>actually for OS9/68000, but describes in fair detail the basics of OS9-6809
>which is the predecessor of OS9/68000. Alternatively, get in touch with
>Microware (the creators of OS9/68000):

     There is a new book out by Peter Dibble (a co-author of the
Rainbow Guide to OS9 that is called OS-9 Insights.  It similar to the
Rainbow Guide except that it covers OS9/68000 only.  This is the only
book I know of on OS-9/68k.  I think it is available from Microware or
from several third-party vendors (e-mail me for addresses).

>Microware Systems Corporation
>1866 N.W. 114th Street
>Des Moines Iowa 50322
>(515) 224-1929

| E. Robert Davis
| davis@en.ecn.purdue.edu
| "Look up, Hannah.  Look up."

ken@earth.wustl.edu (Ken Krieger) (10/02/90)

I mearly noticed the subject.... and never read the initial post....

I have some info on the 68454, 68459, and a couple of chips I will probably
never use.... send me some mail or post if that is the kinda info you are
looking for.

ken