[comp.sys.m68k] DTACK question

jkg@prism.gatech.EDU (Jim Greenlee) (11/01/90)

Can anybody tell me whether or not the 68000 family peripherals have
open-drain DTACK outputs? I'm mainly interested in the 68681, 68230, and
68901. Unfortunately, the M68000 Family Reference Manual isn't real clear
on this topic.

For example, the 68681 DTACK is described as a "three-state active low
open-drain output". The 68230 data section says that "a pullup resistor
is required to maintain DTACK high between bus cycles", which implies (to
me, anyway) that it is also open-drain. The 68901 DTACK is described only
as an "active low, three-state output".

It sure would simplify my life if they were all open-drain. Does anybody
know for sure?

						Jim Greenlee
--
Jim Greenlee - Instructor, School of ICS, Georgia Tech     jkg@cc.gatech.edu

Jryy, abj lbh'ir tbar naq qbar vg! Whfg unq gb xrrc svqqyvat jvgu vg
hagvy lbh oebxr vg, qvqa'g lbh?!

fff@engmicroplex.com (Fred Fierling) (11/02/90)

In article <16185@hydra.gatech.EDU>, jkg@prism.gatech.EDU (Jim Greenlee) writes:
> Can anybody tell me whether or not the 68000 family peripherals have
> open-drain DTACK outputs? I'm mainly interested in the 68681, 68230, and
> 68901. Unfortunately, the M68000 Family Reference Manual isn't real clear
> on this topic.

DTACK can be operated either way.

As a three state output can you can drive DTACK when AS is asserted.  During
the cycle the output drives DTACK high (negate), then low (assert) to terminate.
A pull up resistor is used to keep DTACK from rattling about when AS is negated.

With an open collector or open drain output you just assert DTACK part way
through the cycle and then let your pull up resistor negate it.

You can take either approach.  For systems with a high speed clock or that
operate in a noisy environment the former should be more resistant to spurious
DTACK's.
--
Fred Fierling    fff@microplex.com       Tel: 604 875-1461   Fax: 604 875-9029
Microplex Systems Ltd   265 East 1st Avenue   Vancouver, BC   V5T 1A7,  Canada