[comp.sys.m68k] Where can I get files from the Motorola Freeware BBS?

lloyd@ficc.ferranti.com (greg lloyd) (11/06/90)

I've been trying to get into the Motorola BBS at 512-891-3733 for a couple
of months.  I was not able to get a carrier detect somtimes (using several
machines/modems, so the problem is not on my end); other times I did not
get an answer.  If anyone knows the status of the BBS please post it here.

Thanks,
Greg
J. Greg Lloyd
Systems Application Engineering
3655 Westcenter Dr.  Houston, TX 77042
lloyd@ficc.ferranti.com    ph: (713) 274-5260

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (11/06/90)

In article <6-W6NJ9@xds7.ferranti.com> lloyd@ficc.ferranti.com (greg lloyd) writes:
>I've been trying to get into the Motorola BBS at 512-891-3733 for a couple
>of months.  I was not able to get a carrier detect somtimes (using several
>machines/modems, so the problem is not on my end); other times I did not
>get an answer.  If anyone knows the status of the BBS please post it here.

    Called them just now (Mon Nov 5 15:10:27 PST 1990) at the above
number.  The results:

Type bbs(lowercase) for FREEWARE. bbs

SYSTEM V/68 Release R3V5  Version 900305  M68030
Freeware
Copyright (c) 1984 AT&T
Copyright (c) 1985 Motorola, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

The Freeware BBS is NOT available at this time.
The SYSOP is updating software. Please call back
after about one hour.
The system will be put back on-line ASAP.

        SYSOP

Type bbs(lowercase) for FREEWARE. ~[demott].

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (11/08/90)

In article <10276@ur-cc.UUCP> kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Lars Kellogg-Stedman) writes:
>>The phone number for the Motorola Freeware BBS is 512-891-FREE
>>(You figure it out).  It's available 7 days a week, 24 hours
>>a day (usually).
>
>Which, of course, completely fails to answer the question.
>
>If you recall:
>    > in some archive which can be accessed be ftp or mail?
>
>A telephone number is most definately NOT ftp or mail.  I, too, would like
>to know if there are any ftp or mail servers carrying the Motorola files.
>I think that they used to be availble from a mail server, but that server is
>now defunct...

    I just now called the Moto BBS at the above number and got:

Type bbs(lowercase) for FREEWARE. bbs

SYSTEM V/68 Release R3V5  Version 900305  M68030
Freeware
Copyright (c) 1984 AT&T
Copyright (c) 1985 Motorola, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

XBBS    Version 7.4.4  10/31/90
Author: Sanford J. Zelkovitz      Data: 714-898-8634

The System Administrator for this system is John Dumas

Type CTL-K to skip this

         Welcome to the NEW UNIX based Motorola Freeware System.

****    README  ******  README  ******  README  ******  README  **************
*                                                                            *
M                                                                            M
E                       DSP  BBS                                             E
*       If you are looking for DSP related programs / applications, you      *
R       have connected to the wrong BBS. The DSP applications group runs     R
E       their own BBS called DR. BUB. You may connect to DR. BUB by calling  E
A       (512) 891-3773.                                                      A
D       john                                                                 D
*                                                                            *
M                       European BBS                                         M
E       Motorola now operates a BBS with the same data in Munich, Germany.   E
*       The Data Phone number there is : 49-89-92103-111. If you are         *
R       presently calling across the Atlantic, this may save you some        R
E       money & frustration (with the line noise).                           E
A                                                                            A
D                       Other Motorola BBS                                   D
*       You may connect with other BBSs at Motorola sites:                   *
M       San Diego, Ca           (619) 279-3907                               M
E       Toronto, Canada         (416) 497-8989                               E
*** Depress a key to continue ........

*                                                                            *
R       ***** This BBS understands UPPER/lower case to be different.         R
E       This is *important* in FILENAMES and PASSWORDS!                      E
A                                                                            A
D***    README  ******  README  ******  README  ******  README  *************D

        FLASH! FLASH! FLASH! FLASH! FLASH! FLASH! FLASH! FLASH! FLASH!
        If you wish to download, Please connect at 8 Data bits, No Parity,
                        1 Stop Bit.

*** Depress a key to continue ........
On at 20:16:45    Wednesday   November 07, 1990

Enter your REAL first name )   ==>
--
 _