[comp.sys.m68k] Looking for PD/Free floating point emulation for 68040

duane@mauve.samsung.com (Andrew Duane) (11/10/90)

We are moving to the 68040 chip soon, and are looking for two pieces
of software relating to floating point operations.
	1) The '40 doesn't support all of the floating point
	   instructions the 68882 coporcessor did. We are looking
	   for some software to emulate this subset of operations.
	2) The exception frame for an unimplemented FP opcode is
	   an F-line (type 2) frame. The saved PC is the instruction
	   *AFTER* the bad one. Is backtracking to get the failed
	   instruction hard. If so, we would want to get some code
	   to do this.

We called Motorola, and they charge $5K plus some licensing stuff
that we don't need or want.

Andrew L. Duane (JOT-7)  w:(508)-685-7200 X122
Samsung Software America	 decvax!cg-atla!samsung!duane
1 Corporate Drive			  uunet/
Andover, MA.   01810		 duane@samsung.com

Only my cat shares my opinions, and she's Intel-based.

pdp8@athena.mit.edu (John W.F. McClain) (11/10/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.m68k
Subject: Info wanted one buiding m68k systems
Sender: pdp8@athena.mit.edu (John W.F. McClain)

I have made 2 posting like this before, but I think they got lost.
Sorry if you have seen this.

I want to "play" with 680n0s a little, mabye even build a simple m68k box.
Does any one know where I should start? Besides the m68k data manual are then
any good books on designing/building with the m68k (as opposed to programing
the m68k)?

Thanks in advance

John W.F. McClain    pdp8@athena.mit.edu

bsw@cci632.UUCP (Brad Werner) (11/12/90)

In article <16871@samsung.samsung.com> duane@mauve.samsung.com (Andrew Duane) writes:
*[...] the 68040 chip [...]
*	1) The '40 doesn't support all of the floating point
*	   instructions the 68882 coprocessor did. We are looking
*	   for some software to emulate this subset of operations.
*	2) The exception frame for an unimplemented FP opcode is
*	   an F-line (type 2) frame. The saved PC is the instruction
*	   *AFTER* the bad one. Is backtracking to get the failed
*	   instruction hard. If so, we would want to get some code
*	   to do this.
*Only my cat shares my opinions, and she's Intel-based.

In section 9.3.6 of the 040 user's manual, (pg 9-12 in 1989 ed.)
it is noted that the FSAVE frame contains all the required info.
you need to emulate [to completion] the instruction, and it is
noted there that whereas the PC is as you mentioned, pointing
to the next instruction, the actual PC is in the FSAVE frame
as well as the command word (CMDREG1B).  See sec. 9.7 "Floating-Point
State Frames" for the breakdown of the FSAVE frames.  The exception
frame and the FSAVE frame together contain enough information for
an exception handler to attempt completion of the instructions.
Be careful of unimplemented data types.  The manual notes that
the operand fetch has been done, and the destination for these
instructions may only be a register.  There is enough information
there to make it pretty straight-forward.  Good luck.

Disclaimer: I speak for myself && none other && vice versa;
Brad Werner; bsw@cci.com; ...!rochester!cci632!ccird1!bsw