[comp.sys.m68k] Info wanted on building m68k systems

daday@ecs.umass.edu (11/14/90)

>From: pdp8@athena.mit.edu (John W.F. McClain)
>Subject:Info wanted one buiding m68k systems
>Date: 9 Nov 90 21:26:49 GMT

>I have made 2 posting like this before, but I think they got lost.
>Sorry if you have seen this.
>
>I want to "play" with 680n0s a little, mabye even build a simple m68k box.
>Does any one know where I should start? Besides the m68k data manual are then
>any good books on designing/building with the m68k (as opposed to programing
>the m68k)?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>John W.F. McClain    pdp8@athena.mit.edu

	Why don't you try starting off with one of the really good books
on the market?  Here at UMASS in the computer systems engineeing course we
use the book "68000 Microcomputer Systems, Designing and Troubleshooting,"
by Alan D Wilcox.  In Cambridge, you should be able to get it over at
Qantuum books.  I have more or less followed it to get my 68K up and
running in less than three weeks of lab time.

	There is also a really interesting book by Dr Dobbs, "Dr Dobb's
Toolbook of 68000 Programming."  Wilcox contributed a couple of chapters
to that one too.

david day		daday@umaecs.umass.edu

axaris@acsu.buffalo.edu (vassilios e axaris) (11/14/90)

I have been a teaching assistant for a software/hardware course using the
68k for 4 semesters and used a variety of books. The one for hardware design
that I have found to be superior is Microprocessor Systems Design by
Alan Clements.  It is published by PWS (Boston) , and to my knowledge
it is used widely as a text for 300 level design courses.
It does cover the assembly language but not in depth while it emphasizes the
design of memory, peripherals, e.t.c.

Vassilios E. Axaris