[comp.sys.m68k] Low end M68K systems for dedicated applications

des@uno.edu (Dan Smith) (12/05/90)

I am looking for low end 68K hardware platform with the following
specs:
68000 or 68020 CPU running at 12Mhz or higher

at least 1 Meg of ram.  (should be fast enough to not cause waits for
the CPU)

2 serial ports able to be serviced via interrupt driven I/O

a interval interrupt for timing.  Either programmable or something
close to 100 ticks per second.

and a LANCE based ethernet interface (thick would be best but thin can
be used too)

And finally a useful rom debug monitor.

As always, cost is a concern.  Initially I was going to roll the
hardware myself but time has caught up with me.  I have looked at the
PT68K as one possible base to build the project..  And I have also
looked at some of the MIZAR MX series boards for doing realtime.  I
was hoping for something a bit closer to the $1000 -> $2000 price
range.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

Dan Smith -- Network Software Body @ Uno.Edu

eric@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Eric Lindsay) (12/10/90)

des@uno.edu (Dan Smith) writes:
>I am looking for low end 68K hardware platform with the following
>specs:
>68000 or 68020 CPU running at 12Mhz or higher
>at least 1 Meg of ram.  (should be fast enough to not cause waits for
>the CPU)
>2 serial ports able to be serviced via interrupt driven I/O
>a interval interrupt for timing.  Either programmable or something
>close to 100 ticks per second.
>and a LANCE based ethernet interface (thick would be best but thin can
>be used too)
>And finally a useful rom debug monitor.

Applix have a 15 MHz 68000 system with Zilog SCC for serial ports,
interrupt driven I/O, and multitasking multiuser operating system (with
a monitor, full screen editor and if required, assembler) in rom.  Has
four expansion slots.  They are working on an Ethernet card at the moment
(the board has gone to prototype, but I don't believe it is ready for
sale at the moment - has LANCE and 4 MB RAM space on it).

Applix are at 324 King Georges Road, Beverly Hills, NSW 2209 Australia,
phone international 61 2 758 2688  (if you phone outside Australian
business hours, you will get their BBS, running on one of their boards).

(I have no financial interest in Applix, but do run the newsletter for
their users group, and party there a lot).  They are small outfit,
similar to Peripheral Technology.   eric@zen.maths.uts.edu.au