[comp.sys.m68k] hard disk controller info

tom@astro.as.arizona.edu (Thomas J. Trebisky) (12/11/90)

From MAILER-DAEMON Mon Dec 10 14:49:00 1990
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 14:48:49 MST
From: MAILER-DAEMON (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown
To: <tom@afthree.as.arizona.edu>

550 <bob@miranda.inmos.co.uk>... Host unknown: Address family not supported by protocol family

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 14:48:54 MST
From: tom@as.arizona.edu

To: bob@miranda.inmos.co.uk
Subject: Re: 68k Winchester controller
Newsgroups: comp.sys.m68k

I cannot get mail thru to bob@miranda.inmos.co.uk, so I am going ahead
to post this.

My vote for a winchester controller would be the Western Digital
WD1010-00 or -05 (they also have/had a 2010 - supports ECC handling)
The chip is a bit old by todays standard, but is the most common ST506
supporting chip I know of.
The main trick would be  building the PLL data separator.
The DEC Rainbow used the 1010 in it's HD controller, and if you could track
down the Tech Manual, you could find a circuit there.
BTW the data rate moving a sector off a winchester is pretty
ferocious - you need to use DMA or have a dedicated "sector buffer" as
WD shows in their app. notes.

A whole different approach that I am entertaining for my 68000 projects
is to use one of the new IDE interface drives.
The electrical interface is almost trivial, I think they transfer data
16 bits wide, are very compact, and a lot of bang for the buck (but if you
already have a ST506 sitting around ....).  I am waiting to get a tech.
manual from WD decribing how to interface to one of these jobs.

P.S.  If you do get serious about the 1010 and need info, let me know,
I would post it all now, but it's just hard to stuff all this paper
into the disk drive slot here.... :-)
Best of luck.		Tom

		ttrebisky@as.arizona.edu  (Internet)