[comp.sys.m68k] MC68302 CP microcode

csowden@compulink.co.uk (Chris Sowden) (12/07/90)

In the MC68302 User's Manual it mentions that part of the
internal RAM can be used to hold microcode for the on-chip
communications processor (CP).  Does anyone know if there is
any documentation available describing the microcode and the
CP?  Thanks for any help....

Chris Sowden
csowden@compulink.co.uk

mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) (12/07/90)

 In a previous article, csowden@compulink.co.uk (Chris Sowden) writes:
>In the MC68302 User's Manual it mentions that part of the
>internal RAM can be used to hold microcode for the on-chip
>communications processor (CP).  Does anyone know if there is
>any documentation available describing the microcode and the
>CP?  Thanks for any help....

Yes, supposedly there is.  I was just at a Motorola seminar today, and at the
end of it, the gave out two phone numbers for computer bbs systems.  In
addition to these numbers, there is also a freeware BBS operated by an
employee of Motorola.  I don't have the numbers handy, but I'll post them
tomorrow when I get back to work and find them.

One of the BBS systems contains application notes on the 302 microcode.
The other bbs is used to call in, request an ap-note, provide a fax phone
number, and the BBS system will automatically fax you the requested information.
I'll post these tomorrow when I get to work.  If I forget, please send
me mail to remind me.

>Chris Sowden
>csowden@compulink.co.uk

   -dave

--
Dave McMahan                            mcmahan@netcom.uucp
					{apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!mcmahan

ron@motmpl.UUCP (Ron Widell) (12/08/90)

Dave Mc Mahan (mcmahan@netcom.UUCP) writes:

>  In a previous article, csowden@compulink.co.uk (Chris Sowden) writes:
> >In the MC68302 User's Manual it mentions that part of the
> >internal RAM can be used to hold microcode for the on-chip
> >communications processor (CP).  Does anyone know if there is
> >any documentation available describing the microcode and the
> >CP?  Thanks for any help....

> Yes, supposedly there is.  I was just at a Motorola seminar today, and at the
> end of it, the gave out two phone numbers for computer bbs systems.  In
> addition to these numbers, there is also a freeware BBS operated by an
> employee of Motorola.  I don't have the numbers handy, but I'll post them
> tomorrow when I get back to work and find them.

The two numbers are: (512) 891-3733, 2400/1200/300 8,n,1 - The FREEware BBS
and     (716) 425-2579, 1200/300 8,n,1
There is also one in Toronto, but I don't remember the number.

A word of caution- The micro-architecture of the communications engine of the
683*0*2 has *NOT* been released to date. I don't even know what it is. My
understanding, however, is that it is very "snakey" (it'll bite you); and even
worse (if you can believe it) than back in the old days when you had to create
your own assembler to generate code for the WCS (writeable control store) on a
bit-slice machine. It is far from regular or orthoganal and is very
communications-specific. Moreover, it's likely that the details of this
micro-architecture will *NEVER* be publicy released, although it may be
disclosed in certain cases under a non-disclosure agreement.

What this means is that, at least for now, any new microcode for the communica-
tions engine on the 683*0*2 must come from Motorola. A couple of extant examples
of this are the SS-7 (Signalling System #7) and the Centronics Parallel
Interface; we are working on others.

In contrast, we have released information (and a microcode assembler) for
re-programming the microcode of the TPU in the 683*3*2.

Remember- In part numbers, as in bank balances, ALL digits are significant :-).

Regards,
--
Ron Widell, Field Applications Eng.	|UUCP: {...}mcdchg!motmpl!ron
Motorola Semiconductor Products, Inc.,	|Voice:(612)941-6800

lapp@hppad.HP.COM (David Lapp) (12/11/90)

Ron Widell, Field Applications Eng.	|UUCP: {...}mcdchg!motmpl!ron writes:

> The two numbers are: (512) 891-3733, 2400/1200/300 8,n,1 - The FREEware BBS
> and     (716) 425-2579, 1200/300 8,n,1
> There is also one in Toronto, but I don't remember the number.

Hmm a number in Toronto you say. Could you possibly look that up and
post it here? It would be greatly appreciated I'm sure for those of use
in Southern Ontario at least.

If you can thanks.

Dave Lapp
lapp@waterloo.hp.com		Standard Disclaimer etc...

phil@motaus.sps.mot.com (Phil Brownfield) (12/13/90)

In article <2770002@hppad.HP.COM> lapp@hppad.HP.COM (David Lapp) writes:
>> There is also one in Toronto, but I don't remember the number.
>
>Hmm a number in Toronto you say. Could you possibly look that up and
>post it here? It would be greatly appreciated I'm sure for those of use
>in Southern Ontario at least.

416-497-8989, 2400/1200 baud.

Now back on the air after some recent hardware troubles.
--
Phil Brownfield
phil@motaus.sps.mot.com