[comp.sys.m68k] Sources for MC68030RC25 and MC68882RC25

phil@mcdcup.UUCP (Phil Weinberg SPS) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov28.183907.24803@amd.com> ckc@brahms.amd.com (Chung Chang) writes:
>Where can I get these chips?  (not at volume quantities)  They don't seem to
>be that easy to find...  thanks for any info.

The correct current part number for these parts is MC68030RC25B and
MC68882RC25A.  Without the proper suffix you might not be getting
the proper response for availability.  They should both be available
from any authorized Motorola distributor (in the Bay area there are 7)
with factory delivery presently being quoted from 1 to 4 weeks.
--
<< Usual Disclaimer >>
Phil Weinberg @ Motorola Semiconductor, Sunnyvale, CA 94086-5395

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (12/07/90)

.
.The correct current part number for these parts is MC68030RC25B and
.MC68882RC25A.  Without the proper suffix you might not be getting
.the proper response for availability.  They should both be available
.from any authorized Motorola distributor (in the Bay area there are 7)
.with factory delivery presently being quoted from 1 to 4 weeks.

When I called Wyle to get a quote on these parts (or maybe it was slower
ones), they made a big to-do of it.  I forget if they called them
blue-<something>, or blue-light specials ;-), but they asked if I'd
called anyone else for a quote, grilled me, and generally made me feel
that they weren't sure I was moral enough to buy them.  Perhaps they
want to make sure that we won't waste them by using them in toasters,
etc.
--
steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or ...!dartvax!steve.ligett

tom@aquarius.as.arizona.edu (Thomas J. Trebisky) (12/09/90)

In article <26754@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) writes:
>When I called Wyle to get a quote on these parts (or maybe it was slower
>ones), they made a big to-do of it.  I forget if they called them
>blue-<something>, or blue-light specials ;-), but they asked if I'd
>called anyone else for a quote, grilled me, and generally made me feel
>that they weren't sure I was moral enough to buy them.  Perhaps they
>want to make sure that we won't waste them by using them in toasters,
>etc.

I cannot resist grinding an axe here, but it is consoling to find I am not the
only person who has run up against a brick-wall dealing with distributors.
I mean, if you aren't General Motors ready to go into production tomorrow
they just about laugh you off the phone.  A rare exception (at least
in my dealings) has been Hamilton-Avnet (they do distribute Motorola parts).
I wish the rest of these outfits would become enlightened - I mean if someone
wants to buy one or two of some fairly exotic part, they aren't gonna make
a huge profit this week, but odds are the person is either building a
prototype which could go into production someday, or is a budding young
hardware designer that someday will have a job, wanting to order thousands
of whatever and will remember what a major pain in the ******* such and such
outfit gave him when he was trying to get just one MCxxxxx way back when and
will avoid giving them his business.

Whew, that felt good - I have been waiting to let all that go for some time now.
I just hope the reps from ***** and %%%%% and ^^%^^ read this newsgroup.
Seriously though, if people out there know how to get small quantities of
semiconductor parts without abuse and embarassment from distributors it would
be good to know about it. JDR microdevices is fine for what they handle, but
I sure haven't seen 68030 or 68302 parts in their listings.

ryan@berlin-gw.diag.stratus.com (Dan Guilderson) (12/10/90)

        JDR microdevices is fine for what they handle, but
        I sure haven't seen 68030 or 68302 parts in their listings.

I wouldn't be surprised if JDR is like Radio Shack with respect to
parts that they do not have in stock.  Radio Shack will order anything
you want as long as you are willing to pay premium price for it.

--
Dan Guilderson                               ryan@berlin-gw.diag.stratus.com
Stratus Computer, Inc., Marlboro, MA, USA    #include <stddisclaimer.h>

cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) (12/10/90)

In article <RYAN.90Dec9113829@berlin-gw.diag.stratus.com>,
ryan@berlin-gw.diag.stratus.com (Dan Guilderson) writes:

|>         JDR microdevices is fine for what they handle, but
|>         I sure haven't seen 68030 or 68302 parts in their listings.
|>
|> I wouldn't be surprised if JDR is like Radio Shack with respect to
|> parts that they do not have in stock.  Radio Shack will order anything
|> you want as long as you are willing to pay premium price for it.

I don't think so, I tried get some nonlisted parts through them, but
they didn't act like they were interested.

I have run into the same kind problems recently when I tried to buy a
68851RC16 to replace a broken one. In the end I bought a used one
from the net, since I couldn't buy one from any distributor I called
(unless I wanted to buy a 1000 of them).

-ingo
--
/*                Ingo Cyliax    ECN, Electrical Engineering Bldg.          *
 *      cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu    Purdue University, W. Lafayette,IN 47907   *

ryan@berlin-gw.diag.stratus.com (Dan Guilderson) (12/11/90)

There is no doubt about it, there is a conspiracy against hardware
hackers.  Probably the best way to combat it is to read Don
Lancaster's Hardware Hacker column in Radio Electronics.  He has a lot
of good ideas on how to fool distributors into being nice to you.  One
idea that he hasn't thought of is to organize a group buy.  Advertize
it to all the newsgroups that might be interested and see if you can
get enough people to buy > 100 parts.  It probably isn't a good idea
for the more expensive parts but for some stuff it might work.

One last thought, there is a place in Cambridge, MA called Solid State
Sales that seems to be pretty hacker friendly (I bought a WD2010A from
them just recently.  You can call them at (617) 547-7053.  They're
right downstairs from Eli Heffron's which is another great hacker
store selling computers and peripherals (I saw a lot of cool used VME
boards), their number is (617) 547-4005.  Hope this helps.

--
Dan Guilderson                               ryan@berlin-gw.diag.stratus.com
Stratus Computer, Inc., Marlboro, MA, USA    #include <stddisclaimer.h>

wilker@descartes.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (12/11/90)

I ordered and received a month ago a couple of 16Mhz 68881's from Hall-Mark,
a national wholesaler, from the Indy branch. This was billed to a university
account, but they didn't seem to mind a smaller ($180) order.
Clarence Wilkerson

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) (12/14/90)

In article <26754@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) writes:
>When I called Wyle to get a quote on these parts (or maybe it was slower
>ones), they made a big to-do of it.  I forget if they called them
>blue-<something>, or blue-light specials ;-), but they asked if I'd
>called anyone else for a quote, grilled me, and generally made me feel
>that they weren't sure I was moral enough to buy them.  Perhaps they
>want to make sure that we won't waste them by using them in toasters,
>etc.
>--
>steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or ...!dartvax!steve.ligett

Well, Steve, I know for a fact that you use Macintoshes, so maybe you ARE
planning to put these chips into toasters! :-)

I've had reasonable luck on small orders from Arrow. Don't have the
catalog handy, but they stock a lot of Moto stuff, and the minimum
order is $25. No line item minimum (this can be a real killer!).

I don't have the address, but the phone number (according to the IC Master)
is (516)-467-1000.

I agree that getting parts in onsey/twosey quantities for hobbyists is a
real bitch. If _I_ ran Motorola, Intel or some big IC firm I would make it
VERY easy for hobbyists to get my parts, maybe even set up a small quantity
mail-order division with nice discounts. Today's tinkerer is tomorrow's
volume buyer!

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen@encore.com