[comp.sys.m68k] What 68000 systems run unix?

n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu (Brent Burton) (01/15/91)

I know it's a BROAD question, but let me explain a little.

I'd like to know which "small" 68000 computers run unix.  Maybe
some kit 68k machines?  I know of 3b1's, suns (?).

I'm looking for a cheap unix 68000 box.  Cheap meaning <<$1500, maybe <$1000.

Thanks for any inside poop.
             +----------------------+------------------------+
             | Brent Burton         | n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu |
             | Texas A&M University | brentb@nuchat.UUCP     |
             +----------------------+------------------------+

jerry@TALOS.UUCP (Jerry Gitomer) (01/17/91)

:             +----------------------+------------------------+
:             | Brent Burton         | n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu |
:             | Texas A&M University | brentb@nuchat.UUCP     |
:             +----------------------+------------------------+

	If you are looking for something that -- to an
	applications programmer or user -- looks like UNIX I
	suggest that you look at MINIX.  Available from
	Prentice-Hall for $169.00 its internals are
	different from any known version of UNIX, but
	externally it looks like V7.  For the $169.00 you
	get the OS, "C" compiler, 175 utilities and
	functions *AND* you get (gasp) SOURCE CODE (gasp)
	for everything but the compiler and the EMACS
	look-a-like (you do get source for the vi
	look-a-like though).

	Oh yes, you need an Atari-ST with 1 meg of ram and
	at least one floppy to run and should have 2 floppys
	and 2+ meg of ram if you would like to run Gnu's
	gcc.  (Also available for the Amiga, but I don't
	know the configuration requirements.)

	Hope this answers your questions.

--
Jerry Gitomer at National Political Resources Inc, Alexandria, VA USA
I am apolitical, have no resources, and speak only for myself.

n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu (Brent Burton) (01/17/91)

>I'd like to know which "small" 68000 computers run unix.  Maybe
>some kit 68k machines?  I know of 3b1's, suns (?).
>
>Thanks for any inside poop.

This is what I wrote recently.  I have a mac plus with MacMINIX.  My
disappointment with it is that MINIX runs as a normal macintosh
application, with minix relying on the MacOS.  So, if I write a minix
program that does file I/O, the calls go through minix to MacOS; the
performance is killed.  It is a nice implementation (interesting at
best), but it is just too slow.  The mac, with it's roms, is so locked
into the MacOS that it is virtually impossible to run any OS other than
MacOS.  (Mac II-class machines have a/ux -- no fair!)

I have received replies concerning the following machines:
    Tandy 6000
    Amiga  (with minix)
    Atari ST (with minix)
    Sage

I've heard of a few 68k kits available.  I'd appreciate it if someone
could write me a note with as many machines and descriptions as the author
knows about.  How about, if you run a fairly 'plain jane' 68k box with
unix, would you please send me the system info?  (machine, OS version/type,
maybe cost of machine if you don't mind.)

I am looking at a 3B1, but before I buy anything I want a little more know-
ledge about what is out there and usable.

Thank you all for your time!

Brent
             +----------------------+------------------------+

halkoD@batman.moravian.EDU (David Halko) (01/25/91)

In article <853@TALOS.UUCP>, jerry@TALOS.UUCP (Jerry Gitomer) writes:
> n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu (Brent Burton) writes:
>

> :I know it's a BROAD question, but let me explain a little.
>
> :I'd like to know which "small" 68000 computers run unix.  Maybe
> :some kit 68k machines?  I know of 3b1's, suns (?).
>
> :I'm looking for a cheap unix 68000 box.  Cheap meaning <<$1500, maybe <$1000.
>
> :Thanks for any inside poop.
> :             +----------------------+------------------------+
> :             | Brent Burton         | n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu |
> :             | Texas A&M University | brentb@nuchat.UUCP     |
> :             +----------------------+------------------------+
>
> 	If you are looking for something that -- to an
> 	applications programmer or user -- looks like UNIX I
> 	suggest that you look at MINIX.  Available from
> 	Prentice-Hall for $169.00 its internals are
> 	different from any known version of UNIX, but
> 	externally it looks like V7.  For the $169.00 you
> 	get the OS, "C" compiler, 175 utilities and
> 	functions *AND* you get (gasp) SOURCE CODE (gasp)
> 	for everything but the compiler and the EMACS
> 	look-a-like (you do get source for the vi
> 	look-a-like though).
>
> 	Oh yes, you need an Atari-ST with 1 meg of ram and
> 	at least one floppy to run and should have 2 floppys
> 	and 2+ meg of ram if you would like to run Gnu's
> 	gcc.  (Also available for the Amiga, but I don't
> 	know the configuration requirements.)
>
> 	Hope this answers your questions.
>

> --
> Jerry Gitomer at National Political Resources Inc, Alexandria, VA USA
> I am apolitical, have no resources, and speak only for myself.
> Ma Bell (703)683-9090      (UUCP:  ...{uupsi,vrdxhq}!pbs!npri6!jerry

You forget to tell the poor people out there who you may hook how buggy it is,
never mind terrible multitasking and multiuser operations you get out of
MINIX...for the Amiga, har drives are not supported... never mind the
floppies get trashed usually about once a week... then the PC Version, oh
man, talk about an OS which should have been thrown to the dogs!

Minix is more of an OS to learn about to write a better OS... sort of see
the original authors mistakes... I remember talking to someone about it
(who has an ST)... the only conclusion we could come to is that OS9 for
the ST was a much better deal for any real multitasking/multiuser UNIX
like operating system... besides, it does not cost much more....

						David J. Halko