[comp.sys.m68k] Question about Signetics 74F1763 DRAM controller.

henry@ginger.sri.com (Henry Pasternack) (02/14/91)

   Hi.  I'm designing a 68030-to-DRAM interface using 60 nS fast
page-mode memory.  I've been trying to choose an integrated memory
controller, but each chip I've looked at seems to have some fatal
flaw.  I thought the 74F1763 would do the trick, but then I found
what looks like a problem.  Maybe someone can help me resolve the
following question which concerns refresh arbitration during page-
mode accesses.

   I intend to support both cache burst and non-cache burst page
mode DRAM accesses.  The 74F1763 has a PAGE input which causes
RAS to be asserted continuously during page-mode accesses.  During
lengthy page-mode accesses, refresh requests are logged internally
(up to 128) and handled in a burst following the end of the access.

   Well, what happens if the CPU loops in page for more than 128
refresh requests?  The 74F1763 doesn't have an external refresh
request pin, so there's no way to find out a refresh request has
been missed.  There is a memory grant (GNT) signal which is used to
indicate the result of refresh/access arbitration.  It would be nice
if the 74F1763 would deassert GNT during a burst access upon the
overflow of the refresh logger, but I don't think it can do that.

   Does anyone have any additional information on this topic?  Enquiring
minds need to know.

   Thanks.

-Henry

israel@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Paul Israel) (02/15/91)

In article <21198@unix.SRI.COM> henry@ginger.sri.com (Henry Pasternack) writes:

>   Hi.  I'm designing a 68030-to-DRAM interface using 60 nS fast
>page-mode memory.  I've been trying to choose an integrated memory
>controller, but each chip I've looked at seems to have some fatal
>flaw.  I thought the 74F1763 would do the trick, but then I found
>what looks like a problem.  Maybe someone can help me resolve the
>following question which concerns refresh arbitration during page-
>mode accesses.

   You know, I keep trying to find the ideal DRAM controller myself,
but I never seem to find something that quite fits the bill. There always
seems to be one essential feature or another missing, so over the years
I've just bitten the bullet and implemented them discreetly, using
PALs or miscrosequencers to control them, muxes with high driver capability,
a counter for refresh timing, and DRAMs with built-in address counters
for CAS-before-RAS refresh cycles. It may seem like a lot of parts next
to an integrated solution, but it does have the advantage of allowing
you to fine-tune the performance for whatever specific system configuration
you're working with. It also allows you to implement precisely the features
you need, without worrying about whatever extra baggage comes with the
integrated solution.

   If you're feeling really ambitious, you could try sticking the discreet
solution into an ASIC like a Xilinx chip or something. This would help
reduce your part count if space is a problem. Hope this was helpful.
--
Paul Israel
Renegade Systems, 434 South Bernardo Ave, #2 Sunnyvale, CA 94086