[comp.sys.m68k] Information needed on cross-compilers

jwh@wgate.UUCP (Joe Hughes) (02/01/91)

I am looking for information on MC68302 cross-compilers.  They must support
source level debugging and should work on an HP 9000/370 running HPUX 7.0.
If you know of any products that meet these requirements, please send me an
e-mail message.  Thank you.
--
Joe Hughes                    Wandel & Goltermann Technologies, Inc.
Home (919) 469-3851           1030 Swabia Court

ron@motmpl.UUCP (Ron Widell) (02/12/91)

Joe Hughes (jwh@wgate.UUCP) writes:
> I am looking for information on MC68302 cross-compilers.  They must support
> source level debugging and should work on an HP 9000/370 running HPUX 7.0.
> If you know of any products that meet these requirements, please send me an
> e-mail message.  Thank you.

Which means that if you have *ANYTHING* which supports the 68000 for his
environment, send him e-mail.
The number of new/changed Instructions/Addressing Modes/Op Codes from the
68000 to the 68302 is precisely Zero(0)/ nada / zilch.
From the point-of-view of a compiler/assembler all of the peripherals on the
68302 are just-- PERIPHERALS.

--
Ron Widell, Field Applications Eng.	|UUCP: {...}mcdchg!motmpl!ron
Motorola Semiconductor Products, Inc.,	|Voice:(612)941-6800

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) (02/21/91)

In article <22573@netcom.UUCP> mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) writes:

> In a previous article, jwh@wgate.UUCP (Joe Hughes) writes:
>>I am looking for information on MC68302 cross-compilers.  They must support
>>source level debugging and should work on an HP 9000/370 running HPUX 7.0.
>>If you know of any products that meet these requirements, please send me an
>>e-mail message.  Thank you.
>
>I know of two products that might fit your needs.  Both support 'C' source level
>debug on target hardware.  They run on a variety of platforms, including Unix,
>MS-DOS, various work stations, and HP I think.  There are others.  The two
>compiler vendors are:
>
>Microtec 'C' compiler
>
>The e-mail address for these guys is:
>
>     -- Les Pembroke
>	Manager, Computer Systems
>	Microtec Research Inc.
>	email:	{amdcad!}sun0!les (soon to be les@mri.com),
>		sun0!root, sun0!postmaster.
>
>I suggest you try to get e-mail to a sales person named Mary Ellen Nolan-Bruni.
>I don't know what login name she uses, but you can write a request to the
>postmaster listed above (Les Pembroke) and he will help you out.  Tell her that
>Dave McMahan suggested you talk to her.  I am currently using this product.
>You can get a 68000 simulator that runs on the host computer so that you can
>actually write and debug code using the simulator and source debugger before you
>ever even buy a CPU chip!  The 68302 is a derivative of the 68000 CPU, so there
>should be no problems at all.  I currently use this product on the 68332 CPU and
>find it to be quite adequate for my needs.
>

>The other company is named Intermetrics.  Their e-mail address is:
>
>System name:     inmet
>Contact person:  Stephen Nesman
>Email Address:   inmet!postmaster
>Telephone:       +1 617 661 1840
>Postal Address:  733 Concord, Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138
>
>Once again, you will have to e-mail the postmaster and find out the name of the
>person to contact.
>
>I know very little hands-on about their product.  We considered it in addition
>to the Microtec product and chose Microtec mostly due to the fact that they
>are located only about 10 miles from work and are in the same timezone.  These
>guys don't have a 68000 simulator, but they do have a 68000 board that you can
>slap into an IBM-PC clone and run test code on it.  They said they didn't want
>to do a software simulator because it would run too slow.  I talked to the guy
>that did their in-circuit monitor code, and he seemed to know quite a bit about
>things.

just want to clarify something - microtec does indeed sell a 680x0 simulator.
i don't remember if intermetrics makes a simulator.
both also produce debuggers that work as front ends to several brands of
emulators.  both also produce little monitor programs that link with your
code and can talk to their debugging software (not as powerful as an emulator,
but cheep cheep cheep!)  both produce good quality stuff, but where is used
to work we evaluated both for quite some time (about a month each) and everyone
picked microtec.  this was about a year ago, and the reasons were basically
ease of use (on suns) and quality of compiler output.

>Pricing on these two products is almost identical when you purchase the same
>types of products.
>
>>Joe Hughes                    Wandel & Goltermann Technologies, Inc.
>>Home (919) 469-3851           1030 Swabia Court
>>Work (919) 941-5730           Research Triangle Park
>>uunet.uu.net!wgate.com!jwh    North Carolina 27709-3585
>
>  -dave
>
>--
>Dave McMahan                            mcmahan@netcom.uucp
>					{apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!mcmahan

Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
		         PHONE - yes.
"Have you hugged your hog today?"