[comp.sys.m68k] I have designed a MAC FX

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) (03/02/91)

Hello All

	I have designed a Mac II from A iifx memory map.
Using hardware diffrent to apples, I have placed together a mac iifx compatible
hardware combination. I have ensured that apples roms will NOT plug in and
make it apple fx compatible. I have substituted variousn other better
components to simulate apple hardware. mainlt serial ports (6551 driven for
rs442) PAL's, but diffrent, however compling to sony's audio processor,
apples ADB comm's
 The rest of the system works fine thru a logic analizer, using apples
roms. But i do not want to use those.

The question is is it worthing paying a 68040 programmer to write a os
system to patch apples operating roms to mine. its in the area of
$2000 in Australia. What i would like to know is if I can be sued
even though the software is diffrent and the hardware diffrent, but
still does EXACTLY the same job. I know apple will do
anuthing to eliminate any efforts of any copies being attempted
of their system, and I am keen to put may mac frankinstein in hackers
hands as, It.. simply works. I Have spent may hours drawing schmatics
of the system and using protel to produce a board.

	Do any of you 68000 programmers recon its visable.  ?

			steveh

py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) (03/05/91)

In article <steveh.667927814@tasman> steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:

>The question is is it worthing paying a 68040 programmer to write a os
>system to patch apples operating roms to mine. its in the area of
>$2000 in Australia. What i would like to know is if I can be sued
>even though the software is diffrent and the hardware diffrent, but
>still does EXACTLY the same job. I know apple will do
>anuthing to eliminate any efforts of any copies being attempted
>of their system, and I am keen to put may mac frankinstein in hackers
>hands as, It.. simply works. I Have spent may hours drawing schmatics
>of the system and using protel to produce a board.

The answer is: you cannot afford the legal cost of fighting with Apple (except
you have a pocket as deep as Microsoft). I think Apple will be bring you to
court as soon as you plan to market your efforts. It does not matter whether
you will win in court or not: the legal will kill you before you can see a
cent coming in. That is the sad state of the current micro-computer market, be
it hardware or software. B-(

--
Peter Yeung     Amdahl Canada Ltd., Software Development Center
                2000 Argentia Road, Plaza 2, Suite 300

jeff@uf.msc.umn.edu (Jeff Turner) (03/05/91)

Steven Howell writes:
>	I have designed a Mac II from A iifx memory map.

Boy would it be nice if Apple has some competition!

>What I would like to know is if I can be sued

I think it is safe to say that anyone can sue anyone for anything.
The real question is can Apple win such a suit?

I am light-years away from being a legal expert, but I would think that with
all the fuss Apple has been causing lately (with respect to user interfaces
and the like), you might be in trouble if your ROMs emulate the MAC's
functions.  Even though it is completely original code, if in the end it
provides the same look-and-feel as Apple's interface, you are on shaky ground.

I would recommend that you talk to a real attorney and take their advice.

---
Jeff Turner                           EMAIL: jeff@msc.edu
Minnesota Supercomputer Center, Inc.  VOICE: (612) 626-0544
Minneapolis, Minnesota  55415           FAX: (612) 624-6550

epa@iti.org (Eric P. Armstrong) (03/05/91)

jeff@uf.msc.umn.edu (Jeff Turner) writes:

>Steven Howell writes:
>>	I have designed a Mac II from A iifx memory map.

>I am light-years away from being a legal expert, but I would think that with
>all the fuss Apple has been causing lately (with respect to user interfaces
>and the like), you might be in trouble if your ROMs emulate the MAC's
>functions.  Even though it is completely original code, if in the end it
>provides the same look-and-feel as Apple's interface, you are on shaky ground.

It might come under the same considerations as the IBMPC BIOS roms and UN*X
kernal porting.  The hardware should not be a problem?  But the roms would
have to be clean room ported, using at least two programmers and lots and lots
of documentation.

>I would recommend that you talk to a real attorney and take their advice.

Still the best advice.

----
Eric P. Armstrong			Kansas State University
epa@phobos.cis.ksu.edu

gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar4.181052.826@meadow.uucp> py@meadow.UUCP (Peter Yeung) writes:
>In article <steveh.667927814@tasman> steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:
>>
>>The question is is it worthing paying a 68040 programmer to write a os
>>system to patch apples operating roms to mine.

>The answer is: you cannot afford the legal cost of fighting with Apple (except
>you have a pocket as deep as Microsoft). I think Apple will be bring you to
>court as soon as you plan to market your efforts.

Such efforts (patching real mac ROMSs to run on different hardware)
are already on the market for the Amiga and Atari ST. None of those
vendors were sued, but Apple is attempting to prevent any dealer from
buying roms to sell to non-Mac users. So the answer is, others have
done it and weren't taken anywhere, but unless they want to sue Apple
for anti-trust (which seems to have worked against IBM and DG in the
past) then they're probably toast.

lars@spectrum.CMC.COM (Lars Poulsen) (03/09/91)

In article <steveh.667927814@tasman>
   steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:
>	I have designed a Mac II from A iifx memory map.
>Using hardware diffrent to apples, I have placed together a mac iifx
>compatible hardware combination.
>I have ensured that apples roms will NOT plug in and
>make it apple fx compatible.
>
>The question is is it worthing paying a 68040 programmer to write a os
>system to patch apples operating roms to mine. its in the area of
>$2000 in Australia. What i would like to know is if I can be sued
>even though the software is diffrent and the hardware diffrent, but
>still does EXACTLY the same job.

(1) Can you get sued ?

    You bet. American companies will sue anyone if they think they can
    derive even a temporary benefit. If they could force you to spend a
    half million dollars defending yourself from a frivolous lawsuit, would
    it be to their benefit ? Yes.

(2) Would a suit have merit, or would it be thrown out of court ?

    The operative phrase here is "derivative work". Did you derive your
    product from Apple's copyrighted material ? It sounds to me like the
    answer is YES. You intend to take Apple's ROM and patch it around the
    edges.

(3) Is there a way to legally make a clone ?

    In order for a clone to not be a derivative work, it is necessary that
    the people that implement it should not have seen the copyrighted
    code.  The companies that opened the world to IBM-PC clones defined a
    "clean room" procedure to ensure this.

    Two software teams worked in parallel.

    One team - the dirty team - developed a functional specification for
    the code. In other words, they reverse engineered a description of what
    the code must do to be an acceptable plug-in replacement.

    The other team - the clean team, which consisted entirely of
    programmers with no knowledge of the copyrighted code - implemented
    code according to the specifications.

    The dirty team then tested the resulting code, and whenever it was
    found to not work as required, defined the problem as a specification
    error, and amended the specification to cover the problem area. The
    clean team then amended the product.

    All communication between the two teams was formal and written to
    ensure that no "forbidden" knowledge of the copyrighted software was
    imparted to the clean team.

    I believe that DEC used a similar approach to develop OSF/1 software
    untainted by ATT Unix copyrights. This meant hiring systems
    programmers that had never seen Unix source code !!

    Clean room development is EXPENSIVE.
    Note, that if you develop in a clean room, there is no reason to
    insert gratuitous incompatibilities: They become IRRELEVANT.
--
/ Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer
  CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM

breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) (03/10/91)

hi,

is that the same way IBM developed AIX (two teams, one never seen a piece
of UNIX)? That would explain why it's such a nasty messy thing.
A UNIX written by people straight from university without any experience
in writing software? They should be sued on violation of human rights to
the benefit of all mankind. (Just my opinion).

Oliver.

n67786@cc.tut.fi (Tero Nieminen) (03/12/91)

   Sender: news@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE

   hi,

   is that the same way IBM developed AIX (two teams, one never seen a piece
   of UNIX)? That would explain why it's such a nasty messy thing.
   A UNIX written by people straight from university without any experience
   in writing software? They should be sued on violation of human rights to
   the benefit of all mankind. (Just my opinion).

   Oliver.

Harly that, but you see, you can buy the unix source licence for a
"reasonable" price. And practically all unixes running today have some
copyrigtrd code in them (MACH and GNU are still to be released).
Just my two cents worth..
--
   Tero Nieminen                    Tampere University of Technology
   n67786@cc.tut.fi                 Tampere, Finland, Europe

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) (03/13/91)

	Well, that sums that up. $1000 worth of time and money down the drain.
Ya know, apple used to be the best computer company in the world. they produced
excellent made in USA products and issued excellent doccumentation.
The apple ii was a legend. Then one day it all stopped, and they became a total
bastard company. if they wanted to they could ransack my home score my little
fx clone and clean me up on that alone.

	I don't know what steve and steve did, but something went wrong.

I am an apple tech, i get to see the ins and out of every apple product. They
are simple, to darn simple. And the prices they charge for service, wow man
they produce millionairs from third party service alone.

I am really getting jack of apple and its "im the greatest" policies.
they are really annoying. You know, a bloke had acid spilt on his mac,
just a horrible little mac plus, and to obtain a new bezel for it was
was hell. they demanded all these spec. the bezel had to be shipped off to apple
reasearch like department to be verified and certified valid for their
replacement program and crap, and to belive that the idiot payed over  $4000
for the machine when he first bought it, and he gets a pile of bits and pieces
while apple think about replacing has bezel. man, that sux.

	anyway, when i design my machine that is original, (hell knows how
since virtually everything from screw color, to tube size is copyrighted)
I'll make a company that will buy apple out, and turn there head swell
marvell into an electronic kit factory.

so, heaps of grumbles, lots of fun and action. thanks for the replies folks.

steve h

1

py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) (03/14/91)

In article <steveh.668828873@tasman> steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:

>	Well, that sums that up. $1000 worth of time and money down the drain.
>Ya know, apple used to be the best computer company in the world. they produced
>excellent made in USA products and issued excellent doccumentation.
>The apple ii was a legend. Then one day it all stopped, and they became a total
>bastard company. if they wanted to they could ransack my home score my little
>fx clone and clean me up on that alone.

Recently, I read about someone just announced a Mac chip set. They used the
"clean room" approach to design/implement the hardware and the software. I
think they are looking for takers to build something useful. They even had a
copyright lawyer overlooking the whole process. The aricle also mentioned the
possibility of law suits from Apple. As far as I can remember, Apple had not
comment on it yet. The article is really recent, my mind just failed me and I
have no recollection of where I read it.

Can anyone elaborate on the chip set?

--

spp@zabriskie.berkeley.edu (Steve Pope) (03/22/91)

> Well, that sums that up. $1000 worth of time and money down the drain.

Not necessarily.  Maybe when the Apple lawyers show up
they'll pay you off big $$ to cease and desist from
clone-building.  Cheaper than dragging you through the
courts.

steve