[comp.sys.m68k] 68030/MMU documentation

bombadil@diku.dk (Kristian Nielsen) (03/19/91)

  Ok, I know this question must have been asked before, but seeing that the
trafic in this group is rather low, I hope this won't hurt anyone...

  Can anyone help me with reference documentation for the MC68030 CPU? I
need full documentation on MMU programming and 68030 execution times in
particular, and 68882 documentation would be nice too. I'd really like
title, ISBN etc. for the original Motorola documents, but I'm interested in
other good books, too.

	Thanks in advance,

	Kristian.

valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar19.134629.19137@odin.diku.dk> bombadil@diku.dk (Kristian
Nielsen) writes:

>  Can anyone help me with reference documentation for the MC68030 CPU? I
> need full documentation on MMU programming and 68030 execution times in
> particular, and 68882 documentation would be nice too.

There is no MMU programming manual out there. The only programming example
available that I know of is SetCPU for that Amiga, by Dave Haynie. Use
version 1.4, it's the clearest of them all. I have programmed the Motorola
MMUs before, so feel free to ask questions either privatly, or through this
newsgroup.

The best '030 and '882 references are the Motorola user's manuals. No
substitutes are acceptable.

Valentin
--
"An operating system without virtual memory      Name:      Valentin Pepelea
 is an operating system without virtue."         Phone:     (408) 985-1700

fjr@sgfb.ssd.ray.com (Fred J. Roeber) (03/25/91)

There was a good set of two articles on 68030 MMU programming in the
last two issues of Embedded Systems Programming (Feb and March) issues.
The magazine should be fairly accessible.  The articles included
code samples.   Hope they help.

floydg@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Floyd Goodrich-HiEnd AppsEng) (03/26/91)

In article <2198@public.BTR.COM> valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>In article <1991Mar19.134629.19137@odin.diku.dk> bombadil@diku.dk (Kristian
>Nielsen) writes:
>>
>>  Can anyone help me with reference documentation for the MC68030 CPU? I
>> need full documentation on MMU programming and 68030 execution times in
>> particular, and 68882 documentation would be nice too.
>
>There is no MMU programming manual out there. The only programming example
>available that I know of is SetCPU for that Amiga, by Dave Haynie. Use
>version 1.4, it's the clearest of them all. I have programmed the Motorola
True.  They are available through Motorola Literature Distribution:
  Phone (602) 994-6561.
  68030   ISBN 0-13-566969-3  (should have full MMU documentation)

  68882   ISBN 0-13-567009-8
Floyd Goodrich  floydg@oakhill.sps.mot.com
Austin, TX

drew@motcid.UUCP (Michael Drew) (03/27/91)

In article <2198@public.BTR.COM>, valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
> In article <1991Mar19.134629.19137@odin.diku.dk> bombadil@diku.dk (Kristian
> Nielsen) writes:
> >
> >  Can anyone help me with reference documentation for the MC68030 CPU? I
> > need full documentation on MMU programming and 68030 execution times in
> > particular, and 68882 documentation would be nice too.
>
> There is no MMU programming manual out there. The only programming example
> available that I know of is SetCPU for that Amiga, by Dave Haynie. Use

Ah, there is at least one more. In the February and March issues of
Embedded Systems Programming there is a great article by David Howard.

Good Luck,

Mike