[comp.sys.m68k] 68010 at 16 MHz ?

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (03/29/91)

Does it exist, or should I take potluck and an icepack with a 12.5 Mhz part?
Any suggestions appreciated.
--
Adam David.  (adamd@rhi.hi.is)

tnaj2@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Brian J. Cerveny) (04/02/91)

I'm wondering the very same thing.  I want to (ok, I WILL) upgrade my Amiga 500
to a 16 MHz clock speed.  There is a new project floating around for such an
upgrade that should work better than an old hack people were attempting.
Since the actual gain in speed without new memory control is only roughly 50%
in performance using a 68000-16 and the gain of a 68010-8 is somewhere around
15%, I would like to combine the two together and do a 68010-16 upgrade.
But I haven't seen any 16 MHz 68010 chips anywhere.  I would also appreciate
any info you can get.

Also, has anyone ever seen a 68012??  Are they still around or did those kind
of pass in the shadows?  For those that haven't heard of it, the 68012 is a
100% 68010-compatible CPU that can address a full two gigabytes of RAM.
The 68012 is, however, a square chip so it is not a direct replacement for the
68000 or 68010.  But if in fact there is not a 68010-16, perhaps there is a
68012-16?  Who knows?

--=> Brian Cerveny <=--

phil@motaus.sps.mot.com (Phil Brownfield) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Apr2.063620.169@news.iastate.edu> tnaj2@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:
>But I haven't seen any 16 MHz 68010 chips anywhere.  I would also appreciate
>any info you can get.

There are no 16 Mhz MC68010s.  Don't hold your breath waiting.  :-)

>Also, has anyone ever seen a 68012??  Are they still around or did those kind
>of pass in the shadows?  For those that haven't heard of it, the 68012 is a
>100% 68010-compatible CPU that can address a full two gigabytes of RAM.

The MC68012 is no longer made.  Really, it was just an interim step for
folks that needed >16MB memories until full 32-bit microprocessors came
to pass.  (All it was was a '010 in a larger package with more address
lines bonded out.)
--
Phil Brownfield
phil@motaus.sps.mot.com