[comp.sys.m68k] HALT* on 68020 question

panisset@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (Jean-Francois Panisset ) (04/12/91)

I have the MC68020 Third edition documentation (is there a newer one?),
and I have found what appears to be conflicting information about
the HALT* signal. In section 5.9.2, the signal is descibed in the following
way:

"The halt signal indicates that the processor should suspend bus activity or,
when used with BERR*, that the processor should retry the current cycle.
Refer to 7.5 BUS EXCEPTION CONTROL CYCLES for a description of the effects
of HALT* on bus operations."

And in section 5.13, the Signal Summary, HALT* is listed as an input signal.

But in section 7.5.4, "Double Bus Fault", the last line of the first
paragraph reads:
"When a double bus fault occurs, the processor halts and drives the HALT*
line low".

So what is going on? Is HALT* input only or is it input/output? And if
it is input/output, is it an open-collector output?

On a related note, I am interfacing the 68020 to the VTC VIC068 VME ASIC.
Due to the configuration of the ASIC, it is simpler if the HALT* line is
driven low at the same time as the RESET* line is driven low when the
68020 is to be reset. Does this cause a problem? Should I prevent this
from happening?

Thanks in advance to all you 68k gurus out there...

JF

--
Jean-Francois Panisset
INET: panisset@mcrcim.mcgill.ca

phil@motaus.sps.mot.com (Phil Brownfield) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr11.183130.24243@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu> panisset@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (Jean-Francois Panisset ) writes:
>I have the MC68020 Third edition documentation (is there a newer one?),

Yes, the Fourth Edition has been available for some time now.

>and I have found what appears to be conflicting information about
>the HALT* signal. In section 5.9.2, the signal is descibed in the following
>way:
>
>"The halt signal indicates that the processor should suspend bus activity or,
>when used with BERR*, that the processor should retry the current cycle.
>Refer to 7.5 BUS EXCEPTION CONTROL CYCLES for a description of the effects
>of HALT* on bus operations."

In the Fourth Edition, section 5.9.2 reads:

"The assertion of this bidirectional open-drain signal indicates that
the processor should suspend bus activity or, when used with BERR*, that
the processor should retry the current cycle.  Refer to 7.5 BUS EXCEPTION
CONTROL CYCLES for a description of the effects of HALT* on bus
operations.  When the processor has stopped executing instructions due
to a double bus fault condition, the HALT* line is driven by the
processor to indicate to external devices that the processor has stopped".

>And in section 5.13, the Signal Summary, HALT* is listed as an input signal.

In the Fourth Edition, it is listed there as input/output.  In short,
both discrepencies you found in the Third Edition have been resolved in
the Fourth Edition.

>On a related note, I am interfacing the 68020 to the VTC VIC068 VME ASIC.
>Due to the configuration of the ASIC, it is simpler if the HALT* line is
>driven low at the same time as the RESET* line is driven low when the
>68020 is to be reset. Does this cause a problem? Should I prevent this
>from happening?

I've been told this ought not be a problem.
--
Phil Brownfield
phil@motaus.sps.mot.com