[comp.sys.m68k] cost of chips

bsb@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Brett Baumberger) (04/19/91)

Yes, there is another advantage.  It is called "loop mode".  It is
used effectively with DBcc.  In loop mode, the 68010 doesn't have to
refetch the DBcc instruction or the instuction it is looping to.
This only works for 2 word loops.

Example:
            MOVE.W  #data,D0    ;loopcounter
LOOP        MOVE.W  (A0)+,(A1)+
            DBEQ    D0,LOOP

The last 2 instructions would remain in the prefetch queue and not
need to be fetched.

Brett Baumberger
HP North American Response Center
Microprocessor Emulation Support

bevis@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeff Bevis) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.222550.6920@oakhill.sps.mot.com> jtr@oakhill.UUCP (Jim Reinhart) writes:

>If you are building a 'computer' we really recommend the 020 or later.  You
>can actually buy 020's today for less than 010's.  If you are building

Where?  In what quantity does this inequality become true?
Why are 020's going for two to five times the cost of 010's by mail-order?

While we're at it, perhaps I should ask what 'reasonable' prices are for
single (or small) quantities of the 020 and 030.  Where are these prices
available?

Now I'm *really* confused.  Geez :-)

--
|Jeff Bevis / Purdue EE     |      Three is never equal to four, except       |