[comp.sys.m68k] Programming Roms/Eproms/Pla/etc

SCP100@psuvm.psu.edu (STEPHEN POLKOWSKI) (04/17/91)

Hi all,

       I would like to develop my own eprom programmer using a 68000 family pro
cessor.  My question is: where does one find the specs for programming memory c
hips? Do the manufactures publish specs on how to program their chips?  Any
information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

mcmahan@netcom.COM (Dave Mc Mahan) (04/27/91)

 In a previous article, SCP100@psuvm.psu.edu (STEPHEN POLKOWSKI) writes:
>Hi all,
>
>       I would like to develop my own eprom programmer using a 68000 family pro
>cessor.  My question is: where does one find the specs for programming memory c
>hips? Do the manufactures publish specs on how to program their chips?  Any
>information would be appreciated.

As far as I know, they only definative place to find the techno-info you seek
is in the data book from each manufacturer.  I know that Intel algorithms for
writing are different than Hitachi, for instance.  Programmers like Data I/O
use different algorithms for each type of EPROM, as some EPROMs burn faster
than others.  I would suggest you order the data book or data sheet on each
part you are interested in supporting from the maker.  Although this is a
pain to do, it is usually free.  Data I/O has literally hundreds (if not
thousands) of supported part numbers listed in their books.  It would be
especially nice of you to just read the EPROM ID code from a chip and select
the appropriate alogorithm.  I don't know why Data I/O doesn't do this
automatically, but they don't.  It KNOWS the proper ROM ID code for the
chip in the socket, why don't they just use the right algorithm?  I guess
it could be difficult to even select the proper socket (the Data I/O 29B
programmer has 6 or 8 sockets, all different sizes) and read the ID code
without risking damage to the chip, but it would be nice if they could.

>Thanks,
>Steve

   -dave

--
Dave McMahan                            mcmahan@netcom.com
					{apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!mcmahan

andreww@uniwa.uwa.oz (Andrew John Williams) (04/29/91)

mcmahan@netcom.COM (Dave Mc Mahan) writes:

>the appropriate alogorithm.  I don't know why Data I/O doesn't do this
>automatically, but they don't.  It KNOWS the proper ROM ID code for the
>chip in the socket, why don't they just use the right algorithm?  I guess
>it could be difficult to even select the proper socket (the Data I/O 29B
>programmer has 6 or 8 sockets, all different sizes) and read the ID code
>without risking damage to the chip, but it would be nice if they could.

Could it have anything to do with not knowing where A9 is (or even if
the chip has a signature mode) until you know what the chip is? I've
seen A9 move around quite a lot.

John West (stealing Andrew's account)
Why is a fish?

bevis@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeff Bevis) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr27.060346.25929@netcom.COM> mcmahan@netcom.COM (Dave Mc Mahan) writes:

> In a previous article, SCP100@psuvm.psu.edu (STEPHEN POLKOWSKI) writes:
>>Hi all,
>>
>>     I would like to develop my own eprom programmer using a 68000 family pro
>>cessor.  My question is: where does one find the specs for programming memory
>>chips? Do the manufactures publish specs on how to program their chips?  Any
>>information would be appreciated.
>
>As far as I know, they only definative place to find the techno-info you seek
>is in the data book from each manufacturer.  I know that Intel algorithms for

While I hate to prolong a thread which is probably inappropriate to this
group, I have to take the opportunity to ask... Why is it that manufacturers
don't like to include device programming data for GALs/PALs/etc in their
databooks?  In the National "Programmable Logic Devices Databook and Design
Guide," the following phrase is frequently repeated:

	"This section alone, however, does not contain sufficient
	 information to implement the GAL programming algorithm."

The book goes on to suggest that the user contact the National Programmable
Device Support department.  Why not just put it in the book?  AMD's books
are just as mysterious.  How can they expect a poverty-stricken college
student like me to build a GAL programmer if the data is not readily
available?  Well, anyway, I might just end up making some phone calls to
National on this.  But, if anyone knows of any good reference material I
should be reading, please let me know!

--
+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
|Jeff Bevis / Purdue EE     |      Three is never equal to four, except       |

mcmahan@netcom.COM (Dave Mc Mahan) (05/01/91)

 In a previous article, mcmahan@netcom.COM (Dave Mc Mahan) writes:

[  Discussion about wanting to build a EPROM programmer and needing chip
   specs deleted.  ]

>Data I/O has literally hundreds (if not
>thousands) of supported part numbers listed in their books.  It would be
>especially nice of you to just read the EPROM ID code from a chip and select
>the appropriate alogorithm.  I don't know why Data I/O doesn't do this
>automatically, but they don't.  It KNOWS the proper ROM ID code for the
>chip in the socket, why don't they just use the right algorithm?  I guess
>it could be difficult to even select the proper socket (the Data I/O 29B
>programmer has 6 or 8 sockets, all different sizes) and read the ID code
>without risking damage to the chip, but it would be nice if they could.

Well, sports fans, this is another time when I have the honor of following up
my own posting.  I did a little research on the above paragraph, and found that
a Data I/O programmer does indeed have the intelligence to properly program
an EPROM if you just stick it in the socket.  You don't _HAVE_ to enter the
family and pinout code for a new part, which can save you some time looking
up the desired value.

It turns out that if you enter the family/pinout code of 'FFFF' when asked,
the Model 29B programmer (from Data I/O) will correctly find the right
socket, figure out what part type is in there, and program it.

Just thought you might want to know.

>   -dave

  -dave

--

jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr30.074218.3023@en.ecn.purdue.edu> bevis@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeff Bevis) writes:
+
+The book goes on to suggest that the user contact the National Programmable
+Device Support department.  Why not just put it in the book?  AMD's books
+are just as mysterious.  How can they expect a poverty-stricken college
+student like me to build a GAL programmer if the data is not readily

They don't. They have grown use to the type of 'engineer' who after
a minimum number of engineering classes, and a two year stint in the
'technical' side, graduates to an MBA with marketing emphasis. These
types of 'engineers' don't want to know anything more than the
absolute minimum as in where's the stock options, benefit plans and
investment programs, and oh by the way where's the PAL book, the
Boolean Language interpreter, and the programmer,

If I sound cynical it's because I am.
--

John Clark
jclark@ucsd.edu

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) (05/04/91)

Regarding why PAL/GAL/EPROM programming info isn't in the data books: I
suspect it's because a LOT of people want to USE these devices, and only a FEW
people want to know how to build PROGRAMMERS for them. My guess is that the
programming information is pretty bulky, and it doesn't make sense to increase
the size of the manual with information most user's don't want.

I'm cynical, too, but in this case I think there is a reasonable explanation.

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen@encore.com

andreww@uniwa.uwa.oz (Andrew John Williams) (05/04/91)

My Cypress book seems to have enough details to do things with PALs. Or
at least their PALs (which are reprogrammable - EPAL?)

John West (stealing Andrew's account)
How many fish in my modem?