[comp.sys.m68k] Games/MM1

Steve@sandv.UUCP (Steve Laisch) (06/07/91)

Any one know if the MM/1 will have games programmed soon that will KILL amiga
games? I mean ya got stereo sound, 15mhz(twice as fast as the amiga), and
lots of hardware features... I know games doesnt always relvolve around
computers but it will sell!
|                                                                           |
| "They just keep going, and going, and going, and going, and going,        |
|                                                                           |
|         >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Steve@Sandv<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<                  |
|                                                                           |
|       ...and going, and going, and going TILL THEY DRIVE YOU MAAAAAD!"    |
|___________________________________________________________________________|

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (06/08/91)

Steve@sandv.UUCP (Steve Laisch) writes:
>Any one know if the MM/1 will have games programmed soon that will KILL amiga
>games? I mean ya got stereo sound, 15mhz(twice as fast as the amiga), and
>lots of hardware features... I know games doesnt always relvolve around
>computers but it will sell!

I don't know about "soon".  They're mostly concentrating on more traditional
applications at first... and until there are a "bunch" of machines out
there in use, large game companies will wait of course.

Then too, an "amiga killer" game should combine the extra colors of a VGA
game with the copper effects of an Amiga game... and naturally that'll
take some time to work on.  But there'll be games sooner or later, yes
(more than just the tetris and card games etc already ported).

cheers - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

robart@agora.rain.com (Robert Barton) (06/08/91)

In article <91@sandv.UUCP> Steve@sandv.UUCP (Steve Laisch) writes:

>Any one know if the MM/1 will have games programmed soon that will KILL amiga
>games? I mean ya got stereo sound, 15mhz(twice as fast as the amiga), and
>lots of hardware features... I know games doesnt always relvolve around
>computers but it will sell!

  [huge signature deleted]

  Amigas also have stereo sound capability, and are now available in
25 MHz models from Commodore.  Other vendors, like GVP, have even
faster processors available.

session@seq.uncwil.edu (Zack C. Sessions) (06/08/91)

Steve@sandv.UUCP (Steve Laisch) writes:

>Any one know if the MM/1 will have games programmed soon that will KILL amiga
>games? I mean ya got stereo sound, 15mhz(twice as fast as the amiga), and
>lots of hardware features... I know games doesnt always relvolve around
>computers but it will sell!

I am ColorSystems, and will be receiving my MM/1 system next week. My
primary contribution to the OS9-6809 software market has been a series
of games, all of which I will be porting to OSK Windows. None (initialy)
will be using the special stereo sound capabilities of the MM/1 since the
initial effort will be a direct conversion and the CoCo doesn't have the sound
capabilities of the MM/1. But, I suspect future versions of these games
and new games designed specifically for the MM/1 will have enhanced
sound capabilities.

To start with I will have a package of solitaire games, Pyramid,
Klondike, Poker, Spider and Canfield. Also other games are CoCothello
CoCoYahtzee, Minefield and Sea Battle.

If interested contact me at:

ColorSystems
P.O. Box 540
Castle Hayne, NC 28429

(919) 675-1706 (Voice)
(919) 675-1847 (BBS)

Zack Sessions

cheselka@cactus.org (Mike R. Cheselka) (06/08/91)

I have just put down 150$ for an MM1, so I've commited myself. I still
have some questions though. Paul Ward said there was a hardware limitation
to the graphics co-processor that prevented 256 colors at the high end of
the scale( that is, 720x480, etc.). Can this be gotten around? 16 colors is
not very good, although much better than the COCO and the AMIGA. What about
the trouble with group permissions? Will Microware ever fix that? Does 2.4
support modules directories? Is OSK being kept up with OS-9000? Will the MM1
come with Source Level Debugger( SrcDbg)? Any of the other debuggers? Any
news about the coming ANSI C compilier or X-windows for the MM1? What
communications programs will come with it?

Thanks All!

--
cheselka@cactus.org
cs.utexas!cactus.org!cheselka

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (06/10/91)

cheselka@cactus.org (Mike R. Cheselka) writes:

> [...] said there was a hardware limitation to the graphics
> co-processor that prevented 256 colors at the high end of
> the scale( that is, 720x480, etc.). Can this be gotten around?

No, not without adding another video card.

> What about the trouble with group permissions?
> Does 2.4 support modules directories?
> Is OSK being kept up with OS-9000?

Dunno about the user/group.  No module directories yet.  Better ask
all those on comp.os.os9, perhaps.

> Will the MM1 come with Source Level Debugger( SrcDbg)?
> Any of the other debuggers?

Regular Debug and SysDbg, plus one in rom with its own screen/keyboard
driver.  Sysdbg is handy since it can link to a stub file with all your
global variable and subroutine names, and use those.

> Any news about the coming ANSI C compilier or X-windows for the MM1?

Sounds like Q's for Microware again.  IMO, an X client on the MM/1 might
be okay, but a 68000-based server would probably be awful slow ;-).

One piece of good news: the DMA hard disk driver works great if you format
at 1:1 interleave.  One guy with a WREN was getting 1.8megabytes/second
under OS-9, which I wouldn't have believed possible.  1MB/sec will probably
be more common with most HDs.

> What communications programs will come with it?

As far as I've heard, the MW Com and STerm... xmodem and B protocols.
Others are being worked on, I hear.

(crossposted to comp.os.os9)  cheers - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

Steve@sandv.UUCP (Steve Laisch) (06/11/91)

Hey.. I understand you programmed some games that were in ROM.. my question
is.. how do you program games for say.. a nintendo system that doesnt have
nothingbut an EPROM enviornment?

tm@well.sf.ca.us (Toshi Morita) (06/14/91)

Steve@sandv.UUCP (Steve Laisch) writes:

>Hey.. I understand you programmed some games that were in ROM.. my question
>is.. how do you program games for say.. a nintendo system that doesnt have
>nothingbut an EPROM enviornment?

I'm not the referenced party, but most companies use an IBM 386 clone as a
host
development system with a cross-assembler. The object file is usually
downloaded to a ROM emulator type box via a parallel or serial interface.

I know of about five companies that offer IBM clone based development
systems
and of one that offers an Amiga 3000 based development system.

tm@well.sf.ca.us

Technical Manager for Lucasfilm Games

(Disclaimer: My opinions do not necessarily reflect the views of Lucasfilm
Games)