[comp.sys.m68k] Seeking PD 68k compiler

tm@well.sf.ca.us (Toshi Morita) (06/14/91)

Does anyone know of a good PD 68k C compiler to which sources are available?
I've looked at Sozoban C (too cryptic) and Matthew Brandt's CC68k (doesn't
handle large files) and I'm looking for something else. Ohyeah, I've also
looked at SmallC as well. Any pointers to any sources greatly appreciated!

tm@well.sf.ca.us

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (06/16/91)

There is the massive GCC-1.39, and also a rewrite-extension of
one of Brandt's compilers by Chris van Wullen (sic) available from
the MINIX archives at plains.nodak.edu.
  I've gotten both Sozabon and C68-III to compile and run on a PC
with Turbo C, and on SUNS.

Clarence Wilkerson

jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) (06/18/91)

In article <25431@well.sf.ca.us> tm@well.sf.ca.us (Toshi Morita) writes:
>Does anyone know of a good PD 68k C compiler to which sources are available?
>I've looked at Sozoban C (too cryptic) and Matthew Brandt's CC68k (doesn't
>handle large files) and I'm looking for something else. Ohyeah, I've also
>looked at SmallC as well. Any pointers to any sources greatly appreciated!

     Hard to say what's "good".  What OS are you going to work on?
Aside from Sozobon, you could look at "Mark Johnson" C which is
freely available (possibly public domain -- I can't recall) for the
Atari ST.  "TOS" (the inherent OS of the Atari ST) is CP/M-like or
MS-DOS-like, so if you're planning on a port to a fairly straight
forward OS then these are the compilers to look at.

--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
lsuc!jimomura

lhummel@urbana.mcd.mot.com (Lionel Hummel) (06/19/91)

There is also the Amiga PDC compiler.  It is available for FTP at:

                    128.174.5.59  ux1.cso.uiuc.edu ux1

It is in the directory amiga/misc/PDC.

Paul Petersen and I put it together a few years ago from a cross-compiler
started by Matthew Brandt.  It is a capable K&R compiler, with just a few
omissions (bit field support perhaps the most significant) but also a few
handy extras such as function prototypes and pre-compiled header files.  I
have also modified a copy of it to generate assembly for the Motorola's
assembler on UNIX.

It also has a nice set of ANSI libraries, but much of this code is
Amiga-specific.
                                      < Lionel
Lionel D. Hummel, Software Engineer                         [H] (217) 344-8713
Motorola Computer Group, Urbana Design Center               [W] (217) 384-8511
lhummel@urbana.mcd.mot.com      uiucuxc!udc!lhummel       uiucdcs!large!lionel