[comp.sys.m68k] Motorola assemblers again

esink@turia.dit.upm.es (04/10/91)

Update on the 68k assembler from the Motorola BBS.  Many of you have
asked me to mail you the source code.  Also, several volunteered to
make the source available for ftp.  I am making arrangements with
Martin R. Calsyn, martin@iastate.edu, to do just that.  It should
be available within a few days.  I will leave it to Martin to post
a note giving explicit instructions on how to reach his ftp site.

On the legal status of the source code :  this assembler was based
on the source code for the cross assemblers for the 6800 and various
other Motorola processors with 4 digit names.  This 68xx assembler
appears on the Motorola BBS as well, in its various incarnations.
It also bears no copyright.  I looked at the code for the 68000
and 6800 assemblers, and they are quite similar.  The Motorola BBS
describes the 68000 assembler as "Uploaded by user - quality unknown".
The documentation for the 6800 assembler contains a single name at the
bottom : "E.J. Rupp".  I have no idea who this is. Nor is there any
indication as to whether he is the author of the 6800 package, or if
he simply uploaded it, or what.  There does not appear to be any
general copyright message covering items on the Motorola BBS.  My best
guess is still that this package is legally public domain, but don't
take my word on that if it's crucial to you.

Look for a note from Martin or I within a day or two.

Eric

Eric W. Sink                     | Putting the phrase      |All opinions
Departamento de Telematica       | "Frequently Asked"      |are mine and
Universidad Politecnica de Madrid| in your kill file is    |not necessarily
esink@turia.dit.upm.es           | not recommended.        |yours.

tom@techno.nepean.uws.EDU.AU (Tom Burkart) (06/19/91)

esink@turia.dit.upm.es wrote (ages ago):
>Update on the 68k assembler from the Motorola BBS.  Many of you have
>asked me to mail you the source code.  Also, several volunteered to
>make the source available for ftp.  I am making arrangements with
>Martin R. Calsyn, martin@iastate.edu, to do just that.  It should
>be available within a few days.  I will leave it to Martin to post
>a note giving explicit instructions on how to reach his ftp site.
you posted this ages ago, I have not seen anything since...
What has happened?  I still keep desparately waiting for it.

Thanks in advance,
tom.
tom@nepean.uws.edu.au