[sci.electronics] Solid state rectifiers degrade sound ?

dan@rna.UUCP (02/04/87)

	I don't want to start a lot of controversy with this query, just
some "straight" answers, if possible.

	I was reading in TAS (The Absolute Sound) their technical evaluation
of the Jadis 200 tube Class A amplifier. In that article they brought forth
the contention that solid state rectifiers (I believe they were refering to
those in the power supply, correct me if I'm wrong) degrade the sound of the
amplifier relative to the use of tube rectifiers. They also suggested that
the Jadis benefited from the the lack of solid state power regulation.

	Now I'm (I hope) fairly open minded. So without getting into a lot of
snide remarks (I could generate plenty), any sincere, shot-in-the-dark
speculations as to why tube rectifiers would be preferable to suitably
rated solid state diodes ?

	It can't be noise, tubes should be worse and it should all be filtered
out by supply caps (1500mfd total via resistors). Perhaps its switching
transients, but they, too, should be filtered out. Solid state should have
lower voltage drop with any decent amount of current and larger current
capacity. So I really don't have any good idea why...

	Solid state regulation versus no regulation, I could perhaps see.
Fast, high current peaks should be more readily delivered with no regulation.
I don't know if they (or anyone) claims that solid state regulation would be
sonically worse than tube regulation. Here again, I can't see why...

straka@ihlpf.UUCP (02/06/87)

> the contention that solid state rectifiers (I believe they were refering to
> those in the power supply, correct me if I'm wrong) degrade the sound of the
> amplifier relative to the use of tube rectifiers. They also suggested that

> Any ...
> speculations as to why tube rectifiers would be preferable to suitably
> rated solid state diodes ?

I'll join you in getting flamed.
This sounds totally ridiculous, perhaps even religious!
Here we go again.  I must admit that it sometimes gets entertaining.

--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

ken@rochester.UUCP (02/06/87)

In my opinion, if one can afford to pay the kind of money asked for
this kind of equipment and you like the sound, what does it matter what
scientific explaination, real or imagined, one comes up with?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against scientific inquiry. But somebody
who simply says "I like the sound of this better" is being more honest
with himself than one who says "I bought this because it has 0.0004%
fifth harmonic distortion as compared to the other one which has
0.001%".

I enjoy listening to music a lot on my crufty old turntable, not even
CD, and I wonder some days whether some audiophiles listen to the music
or for the noise. (Just think, in the time it takes you to type in
another diatribe against bipolar output stages, you could have heard
another Corea piano solo :-).)

	Ken

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <598@rna.UUCP>, dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:

> 	I don't want to start a lot of controversy with this query, just
> some "straight" answers, if possible.
>
> 	I was reading in TAS (The Absolute Sound) their technical evaluation
> of the Jadis 200 tube Class A amplifier. In that article they brought forth
> the contention that solid state rectifiers (I believe they were refering to
> those in the power supply, correct me if I'm wrong) degrade the sound of the
> amplifier relative to the use of tube rectifiers. They also suggested that
> the Jadis benefited from the the lack of solid state power regulation.

    But of course!  The typical Thevenin impedance of a vacuum tube rectifier
varies with load, but is about 50 to 100 ohms.  Furthermore, the vacuum tube
rectified DC power supply cannot be modeled as simply a resistor and an
ideal voltage source.  The supply impedance varies with the current demand
of the PA tubes in the amplifier (mostly); therefore, we conclude, the power
supply + amplifier combination exhibits nonlinearity because the operating
point of the PA tubes is being jerked around.

    Now, we all know that the current drawn by a class A amplifier is
constant, right?  However, the PLATE DISSIPATION IS NOT CONSTANT WITH
POWER DELIVERED TO THE LOAD. (If you don't believe this, I'll invite you
to roast marsmellows in the exhaust air stream of my Julian Betts AB10SG
AM transmitter with the excitation turned off...) In fact the plate
dissipation does not vary linearly with the square of the load current because:

    1) The active devices are vacuum tubes
    2) The driving point impedance looking into the plate-to-speaker
       matching transformer varies with frequency, amplitude, room
       acoustics, etc.
    3) Plate dissipation increases at higher frequencies. (If you don't
       believe this, connect a 20 kHz sinewave generator to your amplifier
       and a suitable load, and dial in maximum power. Watch the plates
       of the tubes - or measure the airstream temperature). This is due
       primarily to core losses in the plate transformer.

    Why all this grumbling about plate dissipation? Well, in an ideal
class A amplifier, the power is either being dissipated in the plates, or
in the load, and the ratios are proportional to tube plate current or load
current, squared, and respectively.

    In a nonideal class A amplifier using real world tubes, the supply
current does vary somewhat with the power delivery to the load, particularly
as the grid voltage is approaching cutoff of one of the tubes or as the
control grid voltage of one of the tubes becomes nonzero. (You can achieve
more output by drawing grid current, but this places unbelieveable demands
on the driver amplifier). Thus, the small signal model of a class
"A" vacuum tube amp fails for the golden ears.

    Thus, since the vacuum tube rectified power supply presents a nonlinear
effective impedance, and the supply current varies with power delivered
to the load, we have an additional active device introducing distortion
into the recovered waveform.  I would suspect two things:

     1) As the tubes reach saturation, the vacuum tube rectifier will
        cause the peaks of the reproduced waveform to assume more second
        order distortion.  The solid state rectification with or without
        regulation causes the tube at saturation to assume more odd harmonic
        distortion.

     2) That the amplifier would sound mellower with age (now, what we
        want are 20 year old 5R4GY's out of Grandpa's TV set, right?)
        due to aforementioned characteristics.

    Vacuum tube regulation is notoriously disgusting.  Any decent zener
diode can blow off such wonderful vacuum tube reference sources as the
0A2. Any decent pass transistor can supply much tighter control (in the
right circuit) than pass tubes such as the 4CX250D and the 6080. There are
probably some golden ears out there who use this stuff, but why bother.

     I don't deny that the vacuum tube amplifier sounds different, and
there is a certain romance associated with glowing filaments in a darkened
room.

     However, I propose a test.  Take two wirewound resistors, rip out the
5U4 (or whatever) in your tube amplifier, and replace the tube with the
wirewound resistors in series with the silicon diodes you will replace
them with.  Better still, find some positive temperature coefficient
resistors with a reasonable thermal lag.  Then, do some listening tests.

    Phase II: Replace the standard thermionically heated vacuum tube
rectifier with some mercury vapour rectifiers (e.g. 866A's) and do some
tests (the voltage drop across mercury vapour tubes is virtually constant
with supply current).

    Phase III: Place an oscilloscope lead at the center tap of the plate
transformer of your class A amplifier if you believe that such devices
are ideal...

Pmmmmmph.
David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc.

shop@uwmcsd1.UUCP (02/07/87)

> > the contention that solid state rectifiers (I believe they were refering to
> > those in the power supply, correct me if I'm wrong) degrade the sound of the
> > amplifier relative to the use of tube rectifiers. They also suggested that
>
> > Any ...
> > speculations as to why tube rectifiers would be preferable to suitably
> > rated solid state diodes ?
>
> I'll join you in getting flamed.
> This sounds totally ridiculous, perhaps even religious!
> Here we go again.  I must admit that it sometimes gets entertaining.
>
> --
> Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

One major problem using solid state diodes in my power amps is that there
is a large current surge on turnon and unless properly ventilated (I have
the amps tilted up using shot glasses) the diodes will melt down and short.

						- Tom

			tjk@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

--
Thomas Krueger				...ihnp4!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!tjk	or
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee	tjk@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

ken@rochester.UUCP (02/08/87)

|One major problem using solid state diodes in my power amps is that there
|is a large current surge on turnon and unless properly ventilated (I have
|the amps tilted up using shot glasses) the diodes will melt down and short.

Excessive turnon transients will blow out your diodes right away.  In
designing a power supply, one calculates the transient current on the
assumption that the capacitors are a dead short and that the maximum
voltage is applied. The current is limited by the total impedance
(secondary + reflected primary).  The maximum transient current is
given in power diode specs.  If the impedance is not enough, then one
adds a little resistance in series with the diodes.

If the diodes melt later that is due to inadequate heat removal.
Correct solution, wrong cause blamed.

A different issue is soft turn on. Some power supply regulators ramp up
the voltage gently so that the output stages don't cause plops in the
speakers.

	Ken

> the contention that solid state rectifiers (I believe they were refering to
> those in the power supply, correct me if I'm wrong) degrade the sound of the
> amplifier relative to the use of tube rectifiers...

They may perhaps be thinking of the use of switching power supplies, which
are invariably solid-state, versus linear supplies.  Switching supplies do
have a rather noisier output, less suited for precision analog hardware
like stereo amplifiers.  But there's no need to resort to tubes to build
a linear supply, since semiconductor ones work fine.

I can't think of anything else that would account for this curious claim,
except the various forms of religious fervor that pervade high-end audio.
(I recall an interesting article which pointed out that the single most
cost-effective way to improve the sound from your stereo is to have your
ears cleaned by a doctor.  I wonder how many of the audio fanatics have
bothered to do that?)

Mind you, I am not an expert on them there strange analog thingies (notably
those built with discrete components:  op-amps I understand, but transistors
are still inscrutable all too often...); give me digital any day.
--
Legalize			Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
freedom!			{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

caf@omen.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <615@unccvax.UUCP> dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) writes:
:    Now, we all know that the current drawn by a class A amplifier is
:constant, right?  However, the PLATE DISSIPATION IS NOT CONSTANT WITH
:POWER DELIVERED TO THE LOAD. (If you don't believe this, I'll invite you
:to roast marsmellows in the exhaust air stream of my Julian Betts AB10SG
:AM transmitter with the excitation turned off...) In fact the plate
:dissipation does not vary linearly with the square of the load current because:

No wonder you can cook marshmallows that way.  Most AM transmitters use class
C for the finals, not class A.  If you remove excitation from a typical tube
type final amp with "self bias" developed be rectification of the grid drive,
you will indeed toast marshmallows and whatever else is handy.

I would also suspect the mudulator output tubes are run class B or AB, not
class A.  There may not be a class A high power stage in that transmitter.

wam@cdx39.UUCP (02/09/87)

[verbiage about thermionic vs. solid state rectifiers affecting sound...]
You could make a case for tube diodes in an instrument amp, where the
artist will bend it to its limits.  When pushed, the high resistance of
thermionic diodes will drag down the supply voltage in an interesting fashion,
not easily duplicated by solid-state gadgets.  At home, listening to recorded
or broadcast programs, I don't think you want to set it so loud that the amp
clips (also different with tubes than x-istors).  Neither do you want the
audio peaks to drain the power supply of its vital working fluid--  still,
I suppose tubes wilt more gracefully than silicon...

--
	Bill MacLeod           telephone: 617/364-2000x7520
Email: ...{cthulhu,inmet,harvax,mit-eddie,mot[bos],rclex}!cdx39!wam

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <471@omen.UUCP>, caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
> In article <615@unccvax.UUCP> dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) writes:
> :    Now, we all know that the current drawn by a class A amplifier is
> :constant, right?  However, the PLATE DISSIPATION IS NOT CONSTANT WITH
> :POWER DELIVERED TO THE LOAD. (If you don't believe this, I'll invite you
> :to roast marsmellows in the exhaust air stream of my Julian Betts AB10SG
> :AM transmitter with the excitation turned off...) In fact the plate
> :dissipation does not vary linearly with the square of the load current because:
>
> No wonder you can cook marshmallows that way.  Most AM transmitters use class
> C for the finals, not class A.  If you remove excitation from a typical tube
> type final amp with "self bias" developed be rectification of the grid drive,
> you will indeed toast marshmallows and whatever else is handy.
>
> I would also suspect the mudulator output tubes are run class B or AB, not
> class A.  There may not be a class A high power stage in that transmitter.

    Actually, it is class "AB" at the present time.  We have modified it so
that it will operate with low level modulation. There are high level mod tubes
in a Julian Betts AB10SG.  The reason for this is so that we could operate
the transmitter at 4700 watts critical hours and 500 watts postsunset.
Nevertheless, the Betts final stage can be operated and biased class "A"
if one is so inclined.

    The transmitter was originally screen modulated class "C" but this blows
weeds....

David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc.

cgs@umd5.UUCP (02/09/87)

>>> Any speculations as to why tube rectifiers would be preferable
>>> to suitably rated solid state diodes ?
>
>One major problem using solid state diodes in my power amps is that there
>is a large current surge on turnon and unless properly ventilated (I have
>the amps tilted up using shot glasses) the diodes will melt down and short.
>Thomas Krueger				...ihnp4!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!tjk	or
>University of Wisconsin Milwaukee	tjk@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

Tom,
As you should well know, the current surge at turn-on is due to the fact
that the large power supply caps are charging up, not due to anything
inherent in the diodes themselves. The diodes themselves have a sufficient
thermal mass so that the junction temperature does not rise anywhere near
the point of damage during the cap charging at turn-on. While the peak
power of the current surge may be large, the duty cycle is very small, the
net effect is that what you've stated is a non-problem. However, lack of
ventilation during continuous operation of the equipment can elevate the
temperatures inside the enclosure, hence causing junction temperatures to
soar. Excessive junction temperatures will cause permanent damage. Also,
I would expect any well designed equipment to operate without damage in
a well ventilated environment that you would find very uncomfortable --
about 40 deg. Celsius (104 deg. Fahrenheit), 90% Rel. Humidity (non-
condensing).
--
--==---==---==--
.. The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! ..

ARPA: cgs@umd5.UMD.EDU     BITNET: cgs%umd5@umd2
UUCP: ..!seismo!umd5.umd.edu!cgs

muller@sdcc7.UUCP (02/09/87)

Until recently most of the power supplies I saw in audio equipment were far
from what one would call high quality. It was only recently that the equipment
manufacturers started to actually include reasonable supplies. In terms
of the quality of the supply you have to look at it's stability under load
(it has to feed loads whose impedence rapidly changes with time) and the
quality of its output. Most supplies have a fair residual noise content
(this include both series pass and switching supplies) as does the majority
of batteries. A good power supply will have much lower noise levels than
any available battery. Switching supplies which do not have carefully
designed filtering and shielding will pass harmonics of its switching rate
onto it's output. Series pass supplies (either have one of more transistors
or tubes... yes tubes are used in very high voltage supplies) will in general
be a lot quieter, but since they regulate by dumping execess output through
heat they are a lot larger and consume a lot more power. Really what you
have in a good power supply is a closed loop feedback system not one of
those full wave brigde rectifier systems were filtering is done by the
addition of coils and capacitors. Of course all the design features problems
etc of feedback systems apply.
All supplies have the following basic ideas:
---------------------    -------------------   ---------     ----------
| ac 120v for example|  -------------------    ----------    ----------  |
---------------------                           ^                        |
	      |    -----------   ----------     |                        |
	      --->| reference|->|comparison|-----   ----------           |
                  | supply   |  | circuit  |<------|load sense|<----------
		  -----------    ----------         ----------
Depending on the type of supply (series pass, switching etc) the exact
contents of the boxes will vary (and where physically the sense is done
is also important).
A good supply should not blow up on power up, in fact one of the ways
power supply manufactures use to test supplies is to test its ability to
recover under high switched rate SHORT circuit loads, good supplies will
recover to rated load in milliseconds. Most of the supplies have current
and overvoltage protection for the device it is driving. Current protection
limits the current drawn and overvoltage (aka crowbar circuits) limit the
voltage in case of circuit failures.
How anyone could HEAR tubes in the audio output after this mess is beyond
me. What they could hear is a bad supply, but TUBES????
	Keith Muller
	University of California
	muller@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

jeffw@midas.UUCP (02/10/87)

In article <1663@uwmcsd1.UUCP> shop@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Thomas Krueger) writes:

>One major problem using solid state diodes in my power amps is that there
>is a large current surge on turnon and unless properly ventilated (I have
>the amps tilted up using shot glasses) the diodes will melt down and short.

Since the time constant associated with the turn-on surge in any power supply
I have ever seen (and that's quite a few) is at least an order of magnitude
less than the thermal time constants of common power semiconductor packages,
it's hard for me to imagine how ventilation could have much to do with it,
unless the design was marginal in the first place. Which then is a problem
with the design, not solid-state rectifiers in general. Could you elaborate
a bit?

					Jeff Winslow

> ...somebody
> who simply says "I like the sound of this better" is being more honest
> with himself than one who says "I bought this because it has 0.0004%
> fifth harmonic distortion as compared to the other one which has 0.001%".

Almost certainly, the right explanation for tube fanaticism is that its
adherents simply like the type of distortion that vacuum tubes introduce.
Our electronics man (who grew up with vacuum tubes) noticed my previous
posting and chatted a bit about the horrors of trying to make vacuum tubes
amplify signals cleanly.  His parting comment:  "linear, they're not!".
--

rdp@teddy.UUCP (02/10/87)

In article <615@unccvax.UUCP> dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) writes:
->In article <598@rna.UUCP>, dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:
->>
->> 	I don't want to start a lot of controversy with this query, just
->> some "straight" answers, if possible.
->>
->> 	I was reading in TAS (The Absolute Sound) their technical evaluation
->> of the Jadis 200 tube Class A amplifier. In that article they brought forth
->> the contention that solid state rectifiers (I believe they were refering to
->> those in the power supply, correct me if I'm wrong) degrade the sound of the
->> amplifier relative to the use of tube rectifiers. They also suggested that
->> the Jadis benefited from the the lack of solid state power regulation.
->
->    But of course!  The typical Thevenin impedance of a vacuum tube rectifier
->varies with load, but is about 50 to 100 ohms.  Furthermore, the vacuum tube
->rectified DC power supply cannot be modeled as simply a resistor and an
->ideal voltage source.  The supply impedance varies with the current demand
->of the PA tubes in the amplifier (mostly); therefore, we conclude, the power
->supply + amplifier combination exhibits nonlinearity because the operating
->point of the PA tubes is being jerked around.
->
-> ....
->
-> In fact the plate dissipation does not vary linearly with the square
-> of the load current because:
->
->    1) The active devices are vacuum tubes
->    2) The driving point impedance looking into the plate-to-speaker
->       matching transformer varies with frequency, amplitude, room
->       acoustics, etc.
->
->Pmmmmmph.
->David Anthony

Pmmmmmph, thyself, Mr. Anthony. I (and many others) would be most interested
(and possibly amused) by your explanation of how room acoustics affect
plate dissipation.

Since we are talking about Thevenin equivalents and all that, what is the
Thevenin equivalent circuit of the loudspeaker acting as a generator of
electrical signals caused by "room acoustics". Well, let's see, the
equivalent radiation resistance of a driver reflected back through to the
driver terminals is a few milliohms at best, and given the fact that most
dynamic louspeakers have a series DC resistance of anywhere from 3.5 to 7
(a typical range) I suspect that the effect of room acoustics is pretty much
non-existant. Unless of course your talking about the wind generated by
somebody's phenominal subwoofers cooling the tubes enough to change their
operating points :-)

Dick Pierce

shop@uwmcsd1.UUCP (02/11/87)

> In article <1663@uwmcsd1.UUCP> shop@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Thomas Krueger) writes:
>
> >One major problem using solid state diodes in my power amps is that there
> >is a large current surge on turnon and unless properly ventilated (I have
> >the amps tilted up using shot glasses) the diodes will melt down and short.
>
> Since the time constant associated with the turn-on surge in any power supply
> I have ever seen (and that's quite a few) is at least an order of magnitude
> less than the thermal time constants of common power semiconductor packages,
> it's hard for me to imagine how ventilation could have much to do with it,
> unless the design was marginal in the first place. Which then is a problem
> with the design, not solid-state rectifiers in general. Could you elaborate
> a bit?
>
> 					Jeff Winslow

Certainly. The amp is a Dyna Mk III. I added a large filter choke, about
10 HY's in series with the Dyna choke, which is in basically a pi filter.
To get the added space, I took out the 5AR4 (which I have also been told is
famous for heater-to-cathode shorts, but that's another story), and
replaced with 1000PIV/2.5A diodes which were bypassed with .005MFD/3KV
ceramic capacitors in an effort to keep the turnon surge away from the
diodes. These diodes were placed under the chassis on the inside. If I
would leave the amp on for a long time (like three days) enough heat would
build up to the point where either a diode would melt down and short
spontaneously, or more rarely (why? I dunno) on turnon. I seriously
doubt that the design in this case was marginal, although it looks like the
ventilation certainly was. The chassis was never designed to be a welcome
environment for solid state devices.

						- Tom

	(btw, mail to csd4, not csd1)

--

rep@genrad.UUCP (02/11/87)

In article <1669@uwmcsd1.UUCP> shop@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Thomas Krueger) writes:

>Certainly. The amp is a Dyna Mk III. I added a large filter choke, about
>10 HY's in series with the Dyna choke, which is in basically a pi filter.
>To get the added space, I took out the 5AR4 ...... and
>replaced with 1000PIV/2.5A diodes which were bypassed with .005MFD/3KV
>ceramic capacitors in an effort to keep the turnon surge away from the
>diodes.If I would leave the amp on for a long time (like three days)
>enough heat would >build up to the point where either a diode would melt
>down and short spontaneously, or more rarely (why? I dunno) on turnon.

I'm not familiar with the Dyna Mk III and you didn't mention the power
supply voltage or the full secondary voltage of the transformer.
Assuming the power supply was designed for let's say 350 volts output
under full load with vacuum tube rectifiers, the transformer would
probably be rated at something like 400 volts RMS each side of center
tap (further making the reasonable assumtion that a vacuum tube design
would use a full-wave-center-tap type rectifier circuit).  This would
give you a PIV requirement of about 1130 volts ( 400 * 2 * sqrt(2) ).
Perhaps you're really having a breakdown voltage problem, aggravated by
the high temperature, not a current surge problem.  It might be worth
trying higher PIV rectifiers.  Is the rest of the amplifier happy with
the increased voltage resulting in the change to silicon rectifiers?
It was sometimes necessary to take steps to reduce the voltage when
conversions like this were made.

You can use NTC (negative temp. coeff.) elements to limit inrush
currents or take the approach that my old Heath 70 Watt (dual 6550)
power amps used which was a weird element that they called a
surgistor.  It had a bimetallic thermostat element adjacent to a small
heating element connected in parallel with it; this assembly was in
series with the transformer primary.  When the amp was turned on, the
resistance of the heating element limited the current and heated  the
bimetallic element which shorted out the heating element thus
delivering full voltage to the transformer.  Apparently the bimetallic
element had enough resistance so that it's self-heating kept it in the
turned-on state.  No -- I'm not seriously suggesting the use of one of
these strange devices, I just thought it was an amusing approach to the
problem.

		Pete Peterson
		{decvax,linus,wjh12,mit-eddie,masscomp}!genrad!rep

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (02/11/87)

In article <3748@teddy.UUCP>, rdp@teddy.UUCP (Richard D. Pierce) writes:
> In article <615@unccvax.UUCP> dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) writes:
> ->In article <598@rna.UUCP>, dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:
> ->>
> ->> <question about vacuum tube v. solid state rectifiers>
> ->    But of course!  The typical Thevenin impedance of a vacuum tube rectifier
> ->varies with load, but is about 50 to 100 ohms.  Furthermore, the vacuum tube
> ->rectified DC power supply cannot be modeled as simply a resistor and an
> ->ideal voltage source.  The supply impedance varies with the current demand
> ->of the PA tubes in the amplifier (mostly); therefore, we conclude, the power
> ->supply + amplifier combination exhibits nonlinearity because the operating
> ->point of the PA tubes is being jerked around.
> ->
> -> ....
> ->
> -> In fact the plate dissipation does not vary linearly with the square
> -> of the load current because:
> ->
> ->    1) The active devices are vacuum tubes
> ->    2) The driving point impedance looking into the plate-to-speaker
> ->       matching transformer varies with frequency, amplitude, room
> ->       acoustics, etc.
> ->
> ->Pmmmmmph.
> ->David Anthony
>
> Pmmmmmph, thyself, Mr. Anthony. I (and many others) would be most interested
> (and possibly amused) by your explanation of how room acoustics affect
> plate dissipation.

   Very simple.  Measure the terminal impedance characteristics of a loud-
speaker as a function of frequency in, say, an empty, unfurnished bedroom,
and measure the same speaker in an anechoic chamber. Suffice it to say that,
should the speaker resonance and room resonance correspond, there would be
a very high impedance pole (magnitude) at the resonance frequency (in the
empty room case).

     The plates of the vacuum tubes operate into a load impedance.  This
load impedance exists for the case where the secondary of the plate
transformer is terminated into an essentially conjugate match.  Now,
we all know that the loudspeaker doesn't present even close to a conjugate
match to the plate transformer, and furthermore, doesn't even present the
same terminal characteristics to the plate transformer from room to room
of the speaker-plate transformer pair.

     Furthermore, every EE freshman knows that the impedance seen at
the primary of a theoretical transformer is related to the impedance
presented to the secondary by the following relation:

       Z1 = Z2 * (N1/N2)**2

     where Z1 and Z2 are the impedances and N1/N2 is the primary to
secondary turns ratio.

     Now, we have our real-world speaker in two different rooms connected
to the same amplifier.  We're using a class "A" amplifier, so the current
drawn by the amplifier is essentially constant. Either the current is
being dissipated in the plate of the tube, or is being delivered to the
load.

     The load impedance seen is the transformer primary with respect to
the PA tube.  If the load impedance of the transformer changes with room
acoustics (and it obstensibly does) then the transformer current must also
change with room acoustics.  Thus, the instantaneous plate dissipation
must also change....

     For example, take your typical 8417 beam power tube operating class
"A" with plte voltage of 300 volts, plate current of 100 mA, and a load
impedance of 16,000 ohms.  The speaker, whatever load is nominally 8
ohms.  This requires a turns ratio of sqrt(16000/8) or 44.72:1.  Now, it
is not unusual to find a speaker which varies from, say, 40 ohms to 3
ohms which is nominally labeled 8 ohms.  Now, assuming our 8417 is connected
to an "ideal" transformer, its load resistance varies from 80 k ohms
(in the 40 ohm load case) to 6k ohms (in the 3 ohm case).  It sure seems
to me that if the AC load impedance can be made to vary over a 13:1 range
as a function of frequency, a 2:1 or even 5:1 change at specific frequencies
can be made with the same speaker from room to room.  This is pretty damn
drastic where vacuum tube amplifiers are concerned.

     THE SLOPE OF THE TUBE LOAD LINE IS CORRECT FOR ONE SET AND ONLY ONE
SET OF BIAS AND OPERATING CONSTANTS. IF THE SLOPE OF THE LOAD LINE CHANGES,
THE OPERATING POINT IS NOT CORRECT. Not only are the distortion characteristics
of the amplifier changed, but the power delievered to the load changes
(of course), and hence, the plate dissipation. The slope of the load line
is the AC impedance of the plate transformer looking into the load.

    Now, for the small signal model, all of the aforementioned effects may
be de minimis.  But for the amplifier delivering its full maximum sinewave
(voltage, current, whatever) the effect of load impedance on the operating
characteristics does become significant.
     I did not say that room acoustics were "the" factor. I merely said
that room acoustics were "a" factor.  The determination of amplifier
performance as a function of load impedance seen by the amplifier is an
area for scholarly research.  Perhaps it can be determined that changes
in plate dissipation as a function of room "load" is insignificant.
The change in operating point characteristics for a vacuum tube amplifier
with a matching transformer, even for purely resistive loads, does
nevertheless exist as a function of the load impedance.

David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc.

rfg@hound.UUCP (02/11/87)

Ive been away from net.audio for a monthy or so because the feed was
disrupted when the net was reorganized. Today's is the first really
sizeable set I've received this year.  And what do I find? Another
insane controversy has arisen. Oh, Joy, Oh, Joy! Just like the good old
days of nut.audio!!! How I have missed it!!

And it's just what I needed to cure the depression brought on by
reading a national audio mag last night that recommended buying a
special audio Power Cord to improve the sound of a "dream system."
"Don't knock it," they said, "Buy it and listen if it doesn't
improve the sound."

THe dream system only cost $30,000.00.

Anyone with $30,000.00 to spend on an audio system (should, shouldn't)
spend any of it on an audiophile power cord. Choose one. What difference
does it make anyway?

Well, one difference it makes is that when the poor slob with $277.95 to
spend starts worrying about the power cord (or the design of his
rectifiers) it becomes a really sad situation and all you greedy little
audio dealers and two-bit manufacturers can (should) go to hell for it.

It is a fact that compared to vacuum tubes, solid state silicon
rectifiers are one of the few nearly perfect devices.  I am sure that it is
possible to screw-up sound quality with a carefully misdesigned power supply,
or one with some components failed, but silicon rectifiers do make it
harder to accomplish that end.

Now, let's go back to a discussion of burning candles next to the turntable
to improve disc reproduction. THAT is something I've actually done and seen
work. But it all depends on what the candle is made out of, and where can
you buy pure beeswax today? ...There is a REAL subject for discussion.

(I will admit, however, that no one ever made a more beautiful rectifier
than a mercury vapor tube. Combined with just slightly gassy 2A3's the
result was ... ineffable.  Who needed the music?)

Cheers!  Onward, nut - er - wreck.audio!

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

newton2@topaz.berkeley.edu.UUCP (02/12/87)

Sender:Doug Maisel

Thank God for the return of hound!!

To Dick Pierce: Lighten up, bud. Anthony's a righteous knowledgeable
non-bullshit-mode dude. One of the few (actually, one of the two..., heh, heh--
OK, it was a joke! a JOKE!)

Doug Maisel
56 Panoramic Way
Berkeley, CA 94704

(415) 848-5247

ornitz@kodak.UUCP (02/12/87)

In article <1669@uwmcsd1.UUCP> shop@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Thomas Krueger) writes:

>Certainly. The amp is a Dyna Mk III. I added a large filter choke, about
>10 HY's in series with the Dyna choke, which is in basically a pi filter.
>To get the added space, I took out the 5AR4 ...... and
>replaced with 1000PIV/2.5A diodes which were bypassed with .005MFD/3KV
>ceramic capacitors in an effort to keep the turnon surge away from the
>diodes.If I would leave the amp on for a long time (like three days)
>enough heat would >build up to the point where either a diode would melt
>down and short spontaneously, or more rarely (why? I dunno) on turnon.

To add to some of my previous comments, Thomas: If your transformer secondary
is 800 volts center tapped which is likely, your diode PIV rating should be
more like 3 KV with a capacitor input filter and adequate safety margin.  The
capacitors across the diodes are for transient protection, not surge
protection.  Also remember that many of the small 1000 PIV, 2.5A diodes on the
market (HEP170, etc.) have a 2.5A steady state current rating but their surge
ratings are no higher than 1A diodes.  In a capacitor input filter, the surge
rating overrides the DC rating.  Try using three 1N5408 diodes in series for
each leg of the rectifier.  Parallel the 1N5408's with a 0.001 uF cap and a
470K 1 W resistor across each diode.  You also might move the choke to make
a dual section L filter.  This will put less stress on the diodes and give
you better ripple rejection.
                                     Barry

larry@kitty.UUCP (02/12/87)

In article <1945@hound.UUCP>, rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) writes:
> (I will admit, however, that no one ever made a more beautiful rectifier
> than a mercury vapor tube. Combined with just slightly gassy 2A3's the
> result was ... ineffable.  Who needed the music?)

	Don't forget about tungar tubes.  A "distributed" power supply using
tungar tubes as rectifiers would not only light the room with a quaint orange
ambience, but would eliminate having to use those nasty, unpredictable, and
unreliable silicon diodes.
	Perhaps I will offer an upgrade kit for amplifiers that presently
have silicon diodes, and advertise it with the slogan: "Turn your favorite
mogul-socket floor lamp into the ultimate audiophile power supply..."

	Another possibility to eliminate silicon diodes is to use copper oxide
rectifiers - made with oxygen-free copper, of course...

> Cheers!  Onward, nut - er - wreck.audio!

	Ditto.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|boulder|decvax|nike|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

rdp@teddy.UUCP (02/12/87)

In article <625@unccvax.UUCP> dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) writes:
->>
->> Pmmmmmph, thyself, Mr. Anthony. I (and many others) would be most interested
->> (and possibly amused) by your explanation of how room acoustics affect
->> plate dissipation.
->
->   Very simple.  Measure the terminal impedance characteristics of a loud-
->speaker as a function of frequency in, say, an empty, unfurnished bedroom,
->and measure the same speaker in an anechoic chamber. Suffice it to say that,
->should the speaker resonance and room resonance correspond, there would be
->a very high impedance pole (magnitude) at the resonance frequency (in the
->empty room case).
->

OK, I routinely do this (dozens of time a week, in fact). I can state
categorically that unless the room we are in is comparable in size to the
enclosure volume, the room acoustics have NO effect on the terminal
impedance of the loudspeaker. None. (at least as far as my impedance
measuring equipment is concernned, certainly far more accurate than any
concept of plate load is concerned).

You missed the point I was making. The effect of acoustics on the terminal
impedance of the louspeaker is non-existant simply because the effective
Thevenin equivalent of that generator is so small, and there is a whole
series of effective series impedances that are so much greater. The effect
can be ignored to any approximation that even remotely deals in reality.

->we all know that the loudspeaker doesn't present even close to a conjugate
->match to the plate transformer, and furthermore, doesn't even present the
->same terminal characteristics to the plate transformer from room to room
->of the speaker-plate transformer pair.
->

No, we all don't know that. Those of us who have measured the impedance
effects don't know that.

You have presented no evidence to that effect. I would suggest you try
measuring either the effective terminal impedance or (even) the plate
dissipation with changes in room acoustics. I have absolutely no argument
with your contention, however, that plate dissipation is load impedance
sensitive, just that load impedance is insensitive of room acoustics.

->     Now, we have our real-world speaker in two different rooms connected
->to the same amplifier.  We're using a class "A" amplifier, so the current
->drawn by the amplifier is essentially constant. Either the current is
->being dissipated in the plate of the tube, or is being delivered to the
->load.
->
->     The load impedance seen is the transformer primary with respect to
->the PA tube.  If the load impedance of the transformer changes with room
->acoustics (and it obstensibly does) then the transformer current must also
->change with room acoustics.  Thus, the instantaneous plate dissipation
->must also change....
->

Again, without either and analysis or actual data to support you,
I must strongly dispute the claimed effects of room acoustics.

[...]

I do not in any way dispute your analysis on this section, in fact, it is
a pretty damning case against using tube amplifiers to drive speakers, period.
I have a couple of nitpicks, however.

I have measured the real impedance of quite literally hundreds of loudspeakers
in all conditions from anechoic to highly reverberent to extremely resonant
environments. The effects of room acoustics you claim are neither apparent
in the measurements, nor in the analysis of the phenomenon itself. Again, to
restate my point, The effective radiation load presented by the room is such
a riduculously small part of the total impedance as to be unmeasurable. Look
at the radiation impedance of a 10 inch woofer at 100 Hz as reflected back
through the voice coil. It is a couple of milliohms, at best. This compared
to such large effects as the simple series DC resistance (6 ohms or so) is
negligable (go look it up for yourself in texts such as Leo Beranek's
"Acoustics", McGraw-Hill, et al)

Secondly, typical loudspeaker impedances vary in a range of about 5 to 1.
13 to one is a vary bizarre exception.

>     I did not say that room acoustics were "the" factor. I merely said
>that room acoustics were "a" factor.  The determination of amplifier
>performance as a function of load impedance seen by the amplifier is an
>area for scholarly research.  Perhaps it can be determined that changes
>in plate dissipation as a function of room "load" is insignificant.

I contend that the effects are no factor at all.

Dick Pierce

ornitz@kodak.UUCP (02/13/87)

In article <3761@teddy.UUCP> rdp@teddy.UUCP (Richard D. Pierce) writes an
excellent rebuttal to <625@unccvax.UUCP> dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc).
I would like to point out two areas in their discussion that may be overlooked
by Net readers.  Pierce says:
>I do not in any way dispute your analysis on this section, in fact, it is
>a pretty damning case against using tube amplifiers to drive speakers, period.

The problem here is that the output transformer transforms the impedances by
the square of the turns ratio.  Without the transformer, only the direct
impedance variation is involved.  This still effects transistor output stages
so the "damning case" is against the transformer method of impedance matching,
not tube amplifiers per se.  Many solid-state audio amplifiers approach zero
ohms output impedance.  With the case of a stiff voltage source, the output
power will be inversely proportional to the impedance.  Therefore there will
still be an effect.

My other point is a minor one with Mr. Anthony.  The load presented by a
speaker has a fair degree of reactance associated with it.  In his discussion
he mentions the changing slope of the load lines as the impedance changes.
In an actual audio amplifier with a reactive load (whether a transformer is
used or not), the load lines are elliptical making the analysis much more
difficult when determining power output and plate (collector) dissipation.
Good reference books in this area are now scarce unless your library stocks
some of the classic texts of the 1940's.

                                         Barry L. Ornitz

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (02/13/87)

In article <3761@teddy.UUCP>, rdp@teddy.UUCP (Richard D. Pierce) writes:
> In article <625@unccvax.UUCP> dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) writes:
> ->>
> ->> Pmmmmmph, thyself, Mr. Anthony. I (and many others) would be most interested
> ->> (and possibly amused) by your explanation of how room acoustics affect
> ->> plate dissipation.
> ->
>
> OK, I routinely do this (dozens of time a week, in fact). I can state
> categorically that unless the room we are in is comparable in size to the
> enclosure volume, the room acoustics have NO effect on the terminal
> impedance of the loudspeaker. None. (at least as far as my impedance
> measuring equipment is concernned, certainly far more accurate than any
> concept of plate load is concerned).

     Thank you for at least breaking one of my longest held misconceptions
about acoustics and the speaker-room system (went and did some reading in
the reference work cited by rdp).  I was under the impression that the
terminal characteristics of a loudspeaker varied pretty drastically depending
on the acoustical "load" presented to the speaker.

     My assumption was totally wrong, evidently (please forgive me, I am
used to antennas and such where the output devices are extremely environment
sensitive at times, and even a 20 % change in load impedance can cook
a set of tubes in a hurry).

> ->(in the 40 ohm load case) to 6k ohms (in the 3 ohm case).  It sure seems
> ->to me that if the AC load impedance can be made to vary over a 13:1 range
> ->as a function of frequency, a 2:1 or even 5:1 change at specific frequencies
> ->can be made with the same speaker from room to room.  This is pretty damn
> ->drastic where vacuum tube amplifiers are concerned.
> ->
>
> I do not in any way dispute your analysis on this section, in fact, it is
> a pretty damning case against using tube amplifiers to drive speakers, period.
> I have a couple of nitpicks, however.
>

> Secondly, typical loudspeaker impedances vary in a range of about 5 to 1.
> 13 to one is a vary bizarre exception.

    I agree (went back and read aformentioned reference).  However, my
BIC Formula 2 loudspeakers do, in fact, vary over a range from 3 to 40 ohms.

    Thank you for exposing my ignorance ... really. Your rebuttal is a strong
case for at least exposing EE types to some acoustics in their training.

    Think I'll go back to video and RF for the time being...

David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc.

sjc@mips.UUCP (02/14/87)

 >>> In fact the plate dissipation does not vary linearly with the square
 >>> of the load current because...
 >>>    2) The driving point impedance looking into the plate-to-speaker
 >>>       matching transformer varies with frequency, amplitude, room
 >>>       acoustics, etc.
 >>> Pmmmmmph.
 >>> David Anthony
 >>
 >> Pmmmmmph, thyself, Mr. Anthony. I (and many others) would be most interested
 >> (and possibly amused) by your explanation of how room acoustics affect
 >> plate dissipation.
 >
 >    Very simple.  Measure the terminal impedance characteristics of a loud-
 > speaker as a function of frequency in, say, an empty, unfurnished bedroom,
 > and measure the same speaker in an anechoic chamber. Suffice it to say that,
 > should the speaker resonance and room resonance correspond, there would be
 > a very high impedance pole (magnitude) at the resonance frequency...
 >
 >      Furthermore, every EE freshman knows...

Oh, to be a freshman again. Anyway, dramatic things do not happen just
because two resonances coincide; only if the Q is high enough can you
even detect a resonance.

From the speaker's point of view, the Q of the room resonance is pretty
small. After all, in most speakers, only a small percentage of the
power driving the speaker makes useful sound; most of it heats the
voice coil, compresses air inside the enclosure, and so on.  Thus, most
of the electrical load presented by the speaker is due to the voice
coil impedance, the enclosure characteristics, and so on. This power
dissipation largely damps out the effect of room resonance on the load
presented to the amplifier.

--
...decwrl!mips!sjc						Steve Correll