[sci.electronics] Taperecorder Advice!!!

conte@topaz.UUCP (02/11/87)

Hi All,

	Need some (Help/Advice).  I am looking for a tape recorder
of high quality, Pocket sized, and can use 90 or 120 minute tapes
(i.e., the standard cassette tape) or something as reasonable.  Money
is of no object, because I want something nice.

	Problem:	Does such a thing exist?

I am totally ignorant on the subject and I wish to be as knowledgable as
possible before I start checking the finer electronic stores.  Surely
there is someone out there that can enlighten me on what to look for
and what to stay away from?

	I only know of these small pocket sized Radio Shack types of
recorders that have tiny 30 minute tapes.

	Any response is much appreciated.  Thanks

--
-T.C.	***~The Bandit~***

pozar@hoptoad.UUCP (02/11/87)

In article <9110@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> conte@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (**~The Bandit~***) writes:

>	Need some (Help/Advice).  I am looking for a tape recorder
>of high quality, Pocket sized, and can use 90 or 120 minute tapes
>(i.e., the standard cassette tape) or something as reasonable.  Money
>is of no object, because I want something nice.
>
>	Problem:	Does such a thing exist?

>	I only know of these small pocket sized Radio Shack types of
>recorders that have tiny 30 minute tapes.
>
>	Any response is much appreciated.  Thanks

   I would HIGHLY recomend the Proffesional Walkman by Sony.  We use them for
location news gatering, and they seem quite durable with very high fidelity.
Dolby "B" and "C" is available.  It can record/PB metal tapes.  The headphone
amp has plenty of power.  It is also _very_ easy to change the batteries on
the fly.  Sony also makes a pretty nice M-S mic for it.

reid@decwrl.UUCP (02/15/87)

>	Need some (Help/Advice).  I am looking for a tape recorder
>of high quality, Pocket sized, and can use 90 or 120 minute tapes
>(i.e., the standard cassette tape) or something as reasonable.  Money
>is of no object, because I want something nice.
>	Problem:	Does such a thing exist?

Depending on what you mean by "pocket sized" and "high quality" the thing
exists. I have a Sony TCD-5M, which later became the TCD-5000M. It is the
tape recorder of choice for roving radio journalists. It's a bit bigger than
a walkman (it's about the size of a paperback book) and it's a bit pricier
than a walkman (I paid $800 for mine in 1980) but it is absolutely the highet
quality.