[sci.electronics] Phase Jitter of a free-running oscillator

mdr@reed.UUCP (02/07/87)

What is the "phase jitter of a free-running oscillator" and what does it
depend on?  Does anyone have any revealing references?

 Mike
--
	Reed College -- Portland, Oregon -- 503/774-9192

gibson@unc.UUCP (02/14/87)

In article <5246@reed.UUCP> mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) writes:
>What is the "phase jitter of a free-running oscillator" and what does it
>depend on?  Does anyone have any revealing references?

I'm not sure what your context is, but the only context in which I've
seen that phrase is in digital oscillators. If you use a digitally-
stored waveform and sequence through its points to generate a waveform
(sending each point to a DAC), I know of 2 definitions :

1) sample period jitter - unevenness in time between output samples.
    The reference implies noise from this jitter is 83 dB below the
    RMS level of a generated sine wave  iff the sample period jitter
    is < (0.0000118 / F) (sec), where F is the output frequency.
    "Design of a digital oscillator...", John Snell, Computer Music
    Journal 1(2):4-25, 1977

2) phase jitter - errors due to finite length of the stored waveform.
    If you use a 256-point table and a 16-bit phase register, you
    will get noise because the 8-bit address and the 16-bit phase
    often refer to different points on the waveform (since the phase
    must be truncated or rounded).
    "Table Lookup Noise...", Richard
    Moore, Computer Music Journal 1(2):26-29, 1977

Bill Gibson
gibson@unc                   ...[akgua,decvax,philabs]!mcnc!unc!gibson

keithl@vice.UUCP (02/17/87)

In article <5246@reed.UUCP> mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) writes:
>What is the "phase jitter of a free-running oscillator" and what does it
>depend on?  Does anyone have any revealing references?

Phase jitter in an analog oscillator can be caused by environmental
variations such as supply ripple, temperature fluctuations, or
mechanical vibration, or simple thermal noise in the oscillator
or resonant device.

Here at Tek, we have folk designing spectrum analyzers and various
sampling instruments who have sleepless nights about phase jitter,
and who attack the problem with surface acoustic wave oscillators
and other such esoterica.  They assure me that sub-picosecond movement
of edges on 100 MHz clocks are quite measurable and upset some of our
customers.

--
Keith Lofstrom
MS 59-316, Tektronix, PO 500, Beaverton OR 97077  (503)-627-4052

mdr@reed.UUCP (02/18/87)

In article <1444@vice.TEK.COM> keithl@vice.TEK.COM (Keith Lofstrom) writes:
>Phase jitter in an analog oscillator can be caused by environmental variations
>such as supply ripple, temperature fluctuations, or mechanical vibration, or
>simple thermal noise in the oscillator or resonant device.

How can I obtain large fluctuations in a *low* speed oscillator?  I
want an oscillator at about 3 kHz with large unpredictable variation
in the lengths of individual cycles.

Mike
--
	Reed College -- Portland, Oregon -- 503/774-9192

markf@amc.UUCP (02/18/87)

> How can I obtain large fluctuations in a *low* speed oscillator?  I
> want an oscillator at about 3 kHz with large unpredictable variation
> in the lengths of individual cycles.

Well...

If rectangular waves are OK, you could use a pair of oscillators, set
to relatively prime frequencies.  They could be combined in different
ways for different effects, such as XOR'ing, or using the clock & "D"
inputs of a flip-flop, or "phase comparator II" of the 4046 PLL.

Or, use a VCO, and feed the voltage-control input with a noise source,
say the RC-filtered output of a pseudo-random sequence generator.

Or, a Wein-bridge oscillator, with the resistive-tuning element being a
photocell, pointed at a lava lamp.

Or, use a high-gain amplifier I built some time ago.

Or...

--
				Mark S. Freeman
				Applied Microsystems, Inc.

jewett@hpl-opus.UUCP (02/18/87)

> What is the "phase jitter of a free-running oscillator" and what does it
> depend on?  Does anyone have any revealing references?   Mike

    To determine phase jitter of a waveform, compare the time of its zero
    crossings with the zero crossings of an ideal sinewave of the same
    frequency.  The difference in time can be plotted as a function of time:

    P  |       **  **
    h  |   ** *  **  *
    a  |  *  *            *         *        **
    s  |*             * ** *                   *
    e  +---------------*---------***--------*---*------> Time
       |                    *   *         *      *   *
    E  |                     * *     *   * *      ***
    r  |

    Electronic circuits called phase detectors can compare the phases of two
    oscillators, and give a voltage proportional to the difference.  Often a
    very quiet crystal-controlled oscillator is used as a reference standard.

    You can do varous kinds of statistics on the resulting waveform, such as
    spectrum analysis to find probable noise sources (60Hz/120Hz due to the
    power supply is common).   See McGraw-Hill's "Electronic Instrument
    Handbook" for more details and references.

    Bob Jewett  hplabs!jewett