[sci.electronics] X-10 Controller Problems?

jantypas@hope.UUCP (02/13/87)

I just noticed that DAK lowered the price on the X-10 system controller
to $19.  Now, assuming this thing can run on something other than MSDos,
has anyone ever had trouble with BSR modules?

John Antypas

uucp: ...!sdcsvax!ucrmath!hope!jantypas

psfales@ihlpl.UUCP (02/14/87)

> I just noticed that DAK lowered the price on the X-10 system controller
> to $19.  Now, assuming this thing can run on something other than MSDos,
> has anyone ever had trouble with BSR modules?

DAK sells the system in several "flavors" for several popular computers:
IBM compatibles, Apple II, Commodore, and Macintosh.  If you have
another computer you can order the IBM version - you won't have all the
fancy menu driven software, but it does come with a manual that explains
how to talk to the controller over any 600 baud serial port.

I have never had a problem with the BSR modules except for brief
periods (on the order of a couple of hours every couple of months) some
devices will fail to respond to some commands.  I have attributed this
to noise on AC lines but I have no idea how to find out anything more.
--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpl!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

straka@ihlpf.UUCP (02/16/87)

> > has anyone ever had trouble with BSR modules?

> I have never had a problem with the BSR modules except for brief
> periods (on the order of a couple of hours every couple of months) some
> devices will fail to respond to some commands.  I have attributed this
> to noise on AC lines but I have no idea how to find out anything more.

I had to do some gyrations in my house when I set them up.  My neighbor
has one of those intercoms (FM) that go through the house wiring, and
are using it as an baby monitor.  It interfered with my x-10 stuff since we
share a distribution transformer.  However, one side of the 220 was
better that the other.

Soultion: I swapped all of the important circuits in my house to the
better phase (the one his intercom ISN'T on), and it works pretty well.

However, I did buy some wall switch modules from Radio Shack that turned the
lights off quite well, but didn't turn them on (yes, I tried a wide
range of wattages).  I haven't gotten around to trading them in for new
units yet.  Any ideas from netland?

--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

jeffp@phred.UUCP (02/19/87)

In article <1025@ihlpf.UUCP> straka@ihlpf.UUCP (Straka) writes:
>> > has anyone ever had trouble with BSR modules?
>
>> I have never had a problem with the BSR modules except for brief
>> periods (on the order of a couple of hours every couple of months) some
>> devices will fail to respond to some commands.  I have attributed this
>> to noise on AC lines but I have no idea how to find out anything more.
>
>has one of those intercoms (FM) that go through the house wiring, and
>are using it as an baby monitor.  It interfered with my x-10 stuff since we
>
>However, I did buy some wall switch modules from Radio Shack that turned the
>lights off quite well, but didn't turn them on (yes, I tried a wide
>range of wattages).  I haven't gotten around to trading them in for new
>units yet.  Any ideas from netland?

No ideas, but I have the same problem, which seemed correctable with
limited success by putting some .1 uF caps accross the line in randomly
selected spots.  My neighbor has the FM intercomm too.  I'd sure like to
hear of any more scientific, permanent solutions.  (Like, has anyone
figured out how to boost the power ofthe BSR transmitters?).

{seismo!nike!uw-beaver, ihnp4!allegra!fluke} !tikal!phred!jeffp {Jeff Parke}
Genie  : JEFFP
DELPHI : JEFFPARKE

jjk@linus.UUCP (02/26/87)

I've been using the interface with my MAC+ for a couple of months now
with lamp modules, and switch modules.  It's been working fairly well,
much better than the mechanical timers on the market.

I'm getting ready to call DAK (or find a cheaper source) for additional
modules and switches, I'm going to try their outlets also.

joek

ted@blia.UUCP (02/27/87)

I've never had a problem as such with X-10 modules, having wired them and then
moving them between a number of apartments and houses over the last 5 years.

The only complant I have is that the wall switch modules at the full brightness
setting are still dimmed just a tad. Not enough to notice from the lamp
brightness, but some light bulbs buzz. Also, sometimes this generates enough
RFI to cause a buzz on an AM radio.

I am sure there is a good technical reason that this is this way. For example,
since the switch is just in series with the power line and the is no separate
nutral return, I expect that they fire the triac just a bit late so that they
can pick off enough voltage to run the circuitry.

            Ted Marshall
            Britton Lee, Inc.
p-mail:     14600 Winchester Blvd, Los Gatos, Ca 95030
voice:      (408)378-7000
uucp:       ...!ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!ted
ARPA:       mtxinu!blia!ted@Berkeley.EDU
disclaimer: These opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my employer;
            I leave them alone and they leave me alone.