[sci.electronics] Electronic Mouse

li@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (01/29/87)

Anybody have any experience building one of those electronic mouses that can
solve a maze?  I was thinking of putting one together as a project.  Any
magazine references or books would be helpful.  Also, are there still those
contest that see which one can solve it in the least amount of time?

Thanks in advance.

li@tybalt.caltech.edu (James Li)           __   __
(also li@citromeo.caltech.bitnet)            | |
"Official KANK symbol"         ------>       | |

keith@amc.UUCP (01/30/87)

Funny you should ask.  Just last night I attended our monthly meeting
of the Seattle Robotics Society.  The main event last night was the
running of a maze contest.  My partner and I have built a mouse to
run this maze (although not successfully yet :-)).  The rules are
pretty simple.  The walls of the maze are one inch plywood on two foot
centers.  They are painted in various colors of gloss enamel.  You can't
move the walls or use internal combustion engines.  That's about it.

The Mice themselves range from dumb motors and switches with no processors
to some pretty ambitious full blown ai.  My advice would be to keep it
simple.  Our Robot is a basic Z80 with some H bridges to drive the two
motors, and some reflective IR sensors to detect walls.  Three wheels
are better than four because if the floor is uneven, you might lift a
drive wheel off the floor during a turn and get confused about your
position and orientation.  This can't happen with a three wheeled
configuration.  We have a four wheeled robot, but ended up installing
spring loaded suspension on one of the castors to get around that problem.

I'd be glad to talk to anyone out there about particular problems or
ideas you might have.  See my addresses below.  Telephone is OK too if
you don't mind the expense.

Keith Payea
Applied Microsystems Corp.
P.O. Box C-1002
Redmond, WA  98073-1002
(206)882-5249

	...ihnp4!uw-beaver!tikal!amc!keith

"The only things which separates us from the animals are
mindless superstition and pointless ritual."
				Latka Gravas

daveb@eneevax.UUCP (David Bengtson) (02/01/87)

  IEEE sponsors a 'micromouse ' competition every year or so. The entries
are generally from groups of people - IEEE student branches - generally
We ( UM Student Branch ) are thinking of putting one together this year.
kits of hardware seem to be availible, The prob seems to be in coming up
with an intelligent algorithm to get through the maze.

David Bengtson/Laboratory for Plasma Fusion/University of Maryland
College Park Md 20742  {your keyboard} !seismo!mimsy!eneevax!daveb

hmj@tut.UUCP (02/18/87)

In article <620@eneevax.UUCP> daveb@eneevax.UUCP (David Bengtson) writes:

>  IEEE sponsors a 'micromouse ' competition every year or so. The entries
>are generally from groups of people - IEEE student branches - generally
>We ( UM Student Branch ) are thinking of putting one together this year.
>kits of hardware seem to be availible, The prob seems to be in coming up
>with an intelligent algorithm to get through the maze.
                                      ^^^^^^^
Are you really getting through the maze?  You don't need any intelligent
algorithm, just follow the right side all the time.  Here in Europe
goal is at the center of maze, so you HAVE TO make an intelligent algorithm
to solve it.  Students of Tampere University of Technology have built
several "micromice", I've worked with three of them, mostly programming.
Maze solving algoritm is quite simple, difficulties raise when you
speed up the mouse. (It tries to get out of maze through walls...)

Somebody told three weels are better than four because they are all
tightly on the floor.  No they are not.  On turnings (on good speed,
of course) one wheel will be lifted off the floor.  Three weels are better,
because mouse with three weels is easier to build and drive.

Micromouse World Contest will be in London 7 of July.
--
Hannu-Matti Jarvinen
ASENTO - Ada Software ENgineering TOols -project

ron@brl-sem.UUCP (02/20/87)

In article <571@korppi.tut.UUCP>, hmj@tut.UUCP (Matti J{rvinen) writes:
> Are you really getting through the maze?  You don't need any intelligent
> algorithm, just follow the right side all the time.
1. Following the right side (wall banging) might seem intelligent to you
   but is not necessarily efficient.
2. Some mazes can't be solved by wall banging if the start or finish
   point is within the maze.

hmj@tut.UUCP (03/03/87)

In article <637@brl-sem.ARPA> ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
>In article <571@korppi.tut.UUCP>, hmj@tut.UUCP (Matti J{rvinen) writes:
>> Are you really getting through the maze?  You don't need any intelligent
>> algorithm, just follow the right side all the time.
>1. Following the right side (wall banging) might seem intelligent to you
>   but is not necessarily efficient.
>2. Some mazes can't be solved by wall banging if the start or finish
>   point is within the maze.

It seems you didn't read my previous posting to the end. I had to
think one week are you worth of responding.  First you ask something,
then you don't even read the answers!

I wrote "here in Europe goal is at the center of the maze, etc. etc"
So it is just the case number 2 you mentioned.  Wall banging never
seemed intelligent to me.  I wanted to point out that going THROUGH
the maze is trivial.

I have made algorithm which finds out the fastest route to the center
(or any square of the maze).  The fastest is not the same as shortest,
because turnings get (usually) more time than corriders.
Consider following: (Start at upper left corner, goal x-marked square).
___________
!__ _____  ! Longer route is faster, for it has only 2 turnings,
! !_ !_  ! ! shorter one has 6.  Shorter is more difficult to drive,
!   !_ ! ! ! because turnings cause measurement errors and suitable
!       x  ! places for calibration does not exist.

I think intellingence is not the main problem (you can solve it somehow
anyway), but the driving of the mouse. IF you want to make it fast.
Micromouse Tellu has top speed about 3.2 m/s.  To accelerate and
drive it is not simple task.  For me, it is the most difficult part of
the programs.  And I have programmed three mice, two of them have
been European Champions.
--
hmj@tut.fi, hmj@tut.uucp, hmj@tut.funet (tut.ARPA is not the same computer).