[sci.electronics] Heads up display for a motorcycle helmet

dk1z#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (02/21/87)

  I've ridden motorcycles for quite a few years, much of that out of town,
either just wandering around or actually trying to get somewhere 600 miles
away. I've used tank bags to hold my maps, but all in all, they are not
ideal. It's hard to get enough of the map visible, the maps tend to die young
due to a lot of refolding, I never have all of the maps I need, and I have to
take my eyes well off of the road for a considerable interval if I want to
check out the map and keep rolling. So, what would be ideal is a heads up
display for the map. (We will leave out guages and the like for a moment.)

  Unfortunately, the only place I've seen anything quite like what I want is
in a movie called Time Rider. Not too easy to get ahold of, even if it were
real. Has anyone developed anything like this, however experimental? It seems
to me that with a CD player with the maps on it, an interface between the CD
and the HUD, and a HUD for the helmet, you could do this. Digitizing a map
and getting it onto a CD must have already been done and the
interface/controller to scroll through the map should not be too tough. But I
know very little about HUDs. How do they work? How much would one cost? Could
you put one into a motorcycle helmet (leaving most of the electronics on the
bike? Would it be legal? (Obscuring vision, or something like that.)

  So, any pointers to existing gear for this, CD maps (with associated
hardware), HUDs, literature, et all would be most appreciative. I'm probably
dreaming, but it'd be interesting to look into.

-David Kovar

ron@brl-sem.UUCP (02/24/87)

I suspect that the current heads up display technology is a bit
rough for motorcycle application.  The way they currnetly work is
to have a box, about the size of a shoe box, with some display in
it which is columnated and bounced off a semireflective surface in
front of the viewer.  This sounds a bit clunky for a helmet mount.

As for storage, the only consumer system that I've seen is ETAK.
ETAK uses a CRT for a display and stores map info on (gak) cassette.
I noticed that National Car Rental at SFO had these available in
their cars.

-Ron

davep@hpfcpp.UUCP (02/24/87)

re: HUDs for motorcycle helmets

Wouldn't it be just as distracting changing focus from about 4 cm.
(face shield ) to tens of meters ( road conditions ) as it would be to
look down at your tank bag?

dlw@oucs.UUCP (02/28/87)

In article <3610001@hpfcpp.HP.COM>, davep@hpfcpp.HP.COM ( Dave Post) writes:

> re: HUDs for motorcycle helmets
>
> Wouldn't it be just as distracting changing focus from about 4 cm.
> (face shield ) to tens of meters ( road conditions ) as it would be to
> look down at your tank bag?

Why have to look 4 cm from your eyes?  It should be possible to have the
display appear to be about 20 meters in front of you, although the type
would have to be large.  I think there is a device that will pinpoint
where a person's attention is focused, psych labs use that sort of thing
all the time.  How difficult would it be to vary the focus and apparent
distance of the image with where the user is looking?  The only forseeable
problem with this is where are you going to put all of the electronics?
I wouldn't want to ride without the padding that is already there.

  +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
  Daniel Weigert                                        USA
                               (614) 594-5486
  Computer Science Dept., Ohio University, Athens, Ohio 45701-2979
  Home: 230 Hoover House, Ohio University, Athens, Ohio 45701
                               (614) 597-7848

  UUCP: ...{cbosgd,cbatt,cbdkc1}!oucs!dlw
  Smart Mailers: dlw@pdp.cs.OHIOU.EDU
  +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+

dk1z#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (03/02/87)

> The only forseeable problem with this is where are you going to put all of
the > electronics?
 Good question. But what electronics needs to be mounted on the helmet? Most
of the storage and control electronics can go on the bike, you'd only need to
put the display equipment on the helmet. Seems that you could add a ridge
around the top/bottom of the visor and make it work. But, not knowing what
sort of display equipment you need makes it difficult to determine where it
can go.

> Wouldn't it be just as distracting changing focus from about 4 cm.
> (face shield ) to tens of meters ( road conditions ) as it would be to
> look down at your tank bag?
  I look down at my tach from time to time and have no problems refocusing.
The major problem that I have with looking at the tank bag is that I have to
look pretty much straight down. With either the tach or the HUD my head is
still aligned with the road and I only have to refocus. And with the HUD, if
a semi decides to block off your line of travel, and your vision, you're
HUD's going to have a backdrop that is liable to get your attention quite
rapidly where the tank bag will not.

-David Kovar

> > Wouldn't it be just as distracting changing focus from about 4 cm.
> > (face shield ) to tens of meters ( road conditions ) as it would be to
> > look down at your tank bag?
>
> Why have to look 4 cm from your eyes?  It should be possible to have the
> display appear to be about 20 meters in front of you, although the type
> would have to be large...

The optics in aircraft head-up displays are normally set up to make the
image appear to be at infinity, in fact.  (There is very little difference
in eye focus between 20 m and infinity.)  Presumably any similar device
for a motorcycle would function the same way.  Avoiding refocussing of the
eyes is just as important as avoiding the need to look down.
--
"We must choose: the stars or	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
the dust.  Which shall it be?"	{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) (03/03/87)

In article <3610001@hpfcpp.HP.COM> davep@hpfcpp.UUCP writes:
>Wouldn't it be just as distracting changing focus from about 4 cm.
>(face shield ) to tens of meters ( road conditions ) as it would be to
>look down at your tank bag?

The image does not have to be focused on the reflective surface. In fact
I think it can be focused at any arbitrary distance through suitable optics,
(so you would see the image floating, say, 20 feet in front of you. Bizarre.)

I imagine the best arrangement would involve mounting a very small crt
in front of your forehead, reflecting off the inside of the faceplate.
A tinted faceplate could allow the image to be seen in bright sunlight.

Speaking of focusing displays, did anybody see the scene in Dune where the
tactical display was focused on the pilot's *face*????
Greg Smith     University of Toronto      UUCP: ..utzoo!utcsri!greg
Have vAX, will hack...

szepesi@fluke.UUCP (03/03/87)

>> Wouldn't it be just as distracting changing focus from about 4 cm.
>> (face shield ) to tens of meters ( road conditions ) as it would be to
>> look down at your tank bag?

> Why have to look 4 cm from your eyes?  It should be possible to have the
> display appear to be about 20 meters in front of you, although the type
> would have to be large.  I think there is a device that will pinpoint
> where a person's attention is focused, psych labs use that sort of thing
> all the time.  How difficult would it be to vary the focus and apparent

> +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
> Daniel Weigert                                        USA

From what I remember of my experiences in school, I believe the device you
are referring to locates the direction the eyes are pointing, not the distance
to which they are focused. In a physiology lab I was in, we did some visual
perception experiments that used an infrared emitter that was aimed at the
boundary between the iris and the sclera (the colored and white parts of the
eye. The amount of IR reflected varys between these two portions of the eye,
and by detecting an increase or decrease in response, a detector is able to
tell which direction the eye moves. Extending this to more than one direction
is possible with more than one emitter/detector pair.

Getting this to be auto-adjustable for a helmet seems to be a real pain. The
setup we used required a fair amount of adjusting and was easily knocked out
of alignment.

Les Szepesi

mcintyre@rpics.UUCP (03/04/87)

In article <gUGPpiy00WA1wzs0UY@andrew.cmu.edu>, dk1z#@andrew.cmu.edu (David Kovar) writes:
> > Wouldn't it be just as distracting changing focus from about 4 cm.
> > (face shield ) to tens of meters ( road conditions ) as it would be to
> > look down at your tank bag?
>   I look down at my tach from time to time and have no problems refocusing.

	I dont understand why you are worried about refocusing?  From
what I have heard and seen (not much, actually), the HUDs in the
fighter planes are focused at infinity.  I cant imagine a fighter pilot
flying at Mach 2 worrying about changing his focus.  Doesn't the
fighter pilot just look where he's going and there's the data??

Dave McIntyre
mcintyre@csv.rpi.edu

--
David McIntyre
seismo!rpics!mcintyre

ken@argus.UUCP (03/04/87)

In article <3610001@hpfcpp.HP.COM>, davep@hpfcpp.HP.COM ( Dave Post) writes:

> re: HUDs for motorcycle helmets
>
> Wouldn't it be just as distracting changing focus from about 4 cm.
> (face shield ) to tens of meters ( road conditions ) as it would be to
> look down at your tank bag?

How is it that fighter pilots can both focus on a panel less than
a yard away, and still focus on planes hundreds of yards away?
There are many optical tricks you can use (like in the viewfinder
of a camera), but I'd really like to see if anything came of the
work in trying to integrate computer generated holographs with
a heads up display.

--
Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp !ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken

Kirk: "I don't care if you hit the broadside of a barn"
Spock: "Why should I aim at such an object?"

greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) (03/06/87)

In article <1831@vax3.tc.fluke.COM> szepesi@fluke.UUCP writes:
>From what I remember of my experiences in school, I believe the device you
>are referring to locates the direction the eyes are pointing, not the distance
>to which they are focused. In a physiology lab I was in, we did some visual
>perception experiments that used an infrared emitter that was aimed at the
>boundary between the iris and the sclera (the colored and white parts of the
>eye. The amount of IR reflected varys between these two portions of the eye,
>and by detecting an increase or decrease in response, a detector is able to
>tell which direction the eye moves. Extending this to more than one direction
>is possible with more than one emitter/detector pair.
>
>Getting this to be auto-adjustable for a helmet seems to be a real pain. The
>setup we used required a fair amount of adjusting and was easily knocked out
>of alignment.
>
>Les Szepesi

A helmet HUD would automatically follow head motion. Why would you want it
to follow eye motion? If the display kept its center where your eyes were
looking, you wouldn't be able to look at any part except the center.
It would be like trying to look at an afterimage in the corner of your eye.
Of course you could do something clever like select different displays
depending on where you looked, but I think that would be intensely annoying.

Eye movement is not really a conscious action; we look at objects, and
our eyes stay on those objects independantly of head motion. Thus the movement
of the eye relative to the head is not really consciously controlled. So
using it to control anything is probably a mistake. Head motion is a far
more conscious action.

[The preceding paragraph is based on my own guess and not on
anyone's psychological research]

Besides, with a HUD that followed the head, one could keep one's eyes
pointing at a distant object, and simultaneously bring the desired
part of the HUD onto the same point by head rotation. As someone pointed
out, the HUD is focused at infinity and there is no real difference
between focusing one's eyes at infinity, and focusing at 'outdoors'
distances.